Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris concept flights video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Polaris concept flights video

Years ago UA invited some fliers and employees to take part in test flights, with a United Club closed off to function as what's now a Polaris lounge and take a flight loaded with pillows and bloody mary carts.

Anyone else take part in them - maybe you'll see yourself in this video I came across - was posted a couple years ago

What's left from the concept flights...

2 pillows, a mattress pad, sometime PJs, petit fours, and the Polaris lounges
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
You need to send that to Oscar to remind him that Polaris was to be a game changer on board, not just the lounges, and not devolve into the same old service with a different seat.
EWR764, am1108 and trust77 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:30 am

How far its fallen— “pillow selection” at one time? That would have been awesome. Now mattresses are only loaded for part of cabin. Food service is meh and lots of crabby attitudes.
nancypants and trust77 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:54 am

That 747 sure is awesome though.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
How far its fallen— “pillow selection” at one time? That would have been awesome. Now mattresses are only loaded for part of cabin. Food service is meh and lots of crabby attitudes.
I'd prefer to have the crab in the Polaris meal, rather than during the meal service.
st530, oopl, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by qfrodo
You need to send that to Oscar to remind him that Polaris was to be a game changer on board, not just the lounges, and not devolve into the same old service with a different seat.
There was a monumental amount of waste because very few used the new offerings. Most of that is UAs fault though. I think they overestimated how many people drink Bloody Mary’s and the flight attendants sure didn’t promote the wine flights.

The money would have been better spent on upgrading meals, salads, appetizers, and alcohol. If they brought back the business first service from 2004, complete with cheese board and appetizer cart, everyone would be happy. Instead they saw the waste, correctly cut the unwanted services, but foolishly failed to reinvest the money in things people actually like.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:32 am

my how things have fallen. i recall when service started how impressed i was. disapointed that only ORD had a lounge, but i loved the overall service and had GS the last 3 years partly because of it. This will be my last year as I'm only at $2500 spend so far this year and expect that trend to continue. It just isn't worth the premium.

The matress pad looked much thicker in the video than the actual one
Where did some of those seats come from? i don't recognize. there looked like a few single aisle J seats but none looked recognizable to me
The midflight snacks are pathetic. On my last J flight, I actually went to Y to ask for a mid flight snack and Y told me nope- these are for Y customers. So the flight after that, I booked Y. When Polaris first started, I loved the hot rice or noodle bowls mid flight, plus sandwiches and tomato soup. to be honest at this tpoint, they'd be better off just going to the pre polaris noodle soup. at least they catered 50 on a 747 so it was easy enough to get 2 or 3.
EWR764 and trust77 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by deskover54
my how things have fallen. i recall when service started how impressed i was. disapointed that only ORD had a lounge, but i loved the overall service and had GS the last 3 years partly because of it. This will be my last year as I'm only at $2500 spend so far this year and expect that trend to continue. It just isn't worth the premium.

The matress pad looked much thicker in the video than the actual one
Where did some of those seats come from? i don't recognize. there looked like a few single aisle J seats but none looked recognizable to me
The midflight snacks are pathetic. On my last J flight, I actually went to Y to ask for a mid flight snack and Y told me nope- these are for Y customers. So the flight after that, I booked Y. When Polaris first started, I loved the hot rice or noodle bowls mid flight, plus sandwiches and tomato soup. to be honest at this tpoint, they'd be better off just going to the pre polaris noodle soup. at least they catered 50 on a 747 so it was easy enough to get 2 or 3.
i enjoye the hot bites when they started. The wraps and snack carts looked tasty. Now they look like picked over leftovers and they are almost always “out” of the soup and grilled cheese
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jp12687

i enjoye the hot bites when they started. The wraps and snack carts looked tasty. Now they look like picked over leftovers and they are almost always “out” of the soup and grilled cheese
And Wine. And Champagne. And PJs. And meals that don't look like TV dinners from 1970.
EWR764, onthesam and demkr like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Wow. How far things has fallen.

Veering a bit OT, but can anyone tell me what CO's BF service was like in 2004 and earlier, and what was cut after then? I'm curious!
trust77 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Wow. How far things has fallen.

Veering a bit OT, but can anyone tell me what CO's BF service was like in 2004 and earlier, and what was cut after then? I'm curious!
Cold appetizers on a cart to pick (smoked salmon, prosciutto, smoked duck, or something like that - nothing caviar like)
Salad served as its own course in a large bowl - dressing poured for you
Bread basket like today
Main course on a plate (basically a steak house style menu - almost always a large cut steak or bone in meat offered in the choices) - they had a separate side dish of green beans or spinach, steak house style available but the mains had vegetables on them already
Cheese from the cart - not that different than now, better crackers I guess
Sundae and warm cobbler instead of the petit fours

Some other formalities like FAs using a small metal crumb sweeper like you'd see in a restaurant, the concierge greeting everyone before departure to arrange a shower, the cheese being brought on its own cart before the sundae, FAs changing into a 'serving jacket.' Real first class was pretty much always better, but for 2 cabin back then it was nice.

Food wise it probably only cost 20% more than what they're offering now - save for the extra FA positions
EWR764, BeanTownBoy and trust77 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Cold appetizers on a cart to pick (smoked salmon, prosciutto, smoked duck, or something like that - nothing caviar like)
Salad served as its own course in a large bowl - dressing poured for you

Bread basket like today
Main course on a plate (basically a steak house style menu - almost always a large cut steak or bone in meat offered in the choices) - they had a separate side dish of green beans or spinach, steak house style available but the mains had vegetables on them already
Cheese from the cart - not that different than now, better crackers I guess
Sundae and warm cobbler instead of the petit fours

Some other formalities like FAs using a small metal crumb sweeper like you'd see in a restaurant, the concierge greeting everyone before departure to arrange a shower, the cheese being brought on its own cart before the sundae, FAs changing into a 'serving jacket.' Real first class was pretty much always better, but for 2 cabin back then it was nice.

Food wise it probably only cost 20% more than what they're offering now - save for the extra FA positions
But the bread basket had more than one choice in it!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BB2220

There was a monumental amount of waste because very few used the new offerings. Most of that is UAs fault though. I think they overestimated how many people drink Bloody Mary’s and the flight attendants sure didn’t promote the wine flights.
The problem was passengers drank far too much wine - it broke the UA budget. Horrible forecasting by UA.
nancypants and EWR764 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The problem was passengers drank far too much wine - it broke the UA budget. Horrible forecasting by UA.
History has shown that most of United’s initial forecasting for Polaris was wrong. Essentially, United developed and promised an unsustainable product, and we are seeing the entirely predictable results... especially when middle managers are charged with reducing costs to maximize margins.
narvik and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It wasn't as much the quantity drank, as it was the sampling ... as in any open dining / open bar concept, people will try and sample more things when they are proactively offered. The wine flights and Bloody Mary carts did stimulate a huge amount of waste, so I understand trimming back these offerings. The oft-quoted "passenger demands for our wine surged 300%" was less about demand, and more about waste. In a two-zone J cabin with four aisle carts, there was a lot of waste.

So much of the original Polaris concept was un-necessary flair, and many of us gave feedback to that effect. Problem is, as you say, once given it is hard to taketh away. Management got the extreme willies on the wine front, and the pendulum swang the other way where there is "bare bones" sparse roundtrip provisioning of wine. They've decided it's ok to say "sorry, we don't have it", have the FAs in apology mode, and go from there.

They can't sift through all of the Polaris expense line items (PJs, slippers, bedding, wine, food, staffing etc) to any level of specificity ... it's easier to apply the hatchet / haircut method and chop everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.