Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris concept flights video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The problem was passengers drank far too much wine - it broke the UA budget. Horrible forecasting by UA.
@matthew--Do you (or anyone else) have any idea how much extra this cost UA per flight? Given that most of the wines in Polaris (other than champagne) can be purchased at retail for $10 to $15 (I assume less wholesale), even if an extra ten (and I assume that is on the high side) bottles were consumed, that only $150 per flight. Good wine and/or good food can make up for a lot of short comings and make passengers happy.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by EWR764

History has shown that most of United’s initial forecasting for Polaris was wrong. Essentially, United developed and promised an unsustainable product, and we are seeing the entirely predictable results... especially when middle managers are charged with reducing costs to maximize margins.
my biggest annoyance is since the cut backs I’ve watched prices rise on routes while service falls
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
A lot of the issue we are facing is that we've got used to what UA is providing and we've got bored by it. My son regularly flies CX in J, but I put him in J on UA the other day and he was very impressed overall. He didn't know, of course, about wine flights or any of that stuff, but he really liked the seat, he really liked the bedding and said he'd had a very good sleep. He ate in the Polaris lounge in SFO which he thought was excellent, didn't fancy the dinner apart from ice cream which he liked but thought that the breakfast was strange. In short he pronounced it all excellent and very competitive with CX. I think that's really all that UA needs to do.
tuolumne and FlyngSvyr like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jp12687

my biggest annoyance is since the cut backs I’ve watched prices rise on routes while service falls
One truism in this industry is that price rarely has any correlation to service.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
A lot of the issue we are facing is that we've got used to what UA is providing and we've got bored by it. My son regularly flies CX in J, but I put him in J on UA the other day and he was very impressed overall. He didn't know, of course, about wine flights or any of that stuff, but he really liked the seat, he really liked the bedding and said he'd had a very good sleep. He ate in the Polaris lounge in SFO which he thought was excellent, didn't fancy the dinner apart from ice cream which he liked but thought that the breakfast was strange. In short he pronounced it all excellent and very competitive with CX. I think that's really all that UA needs to do.
@lhrsfo--Thank you for sharing that experience and perspective.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Before people get gagged-up by a new round of CDA/NDAs, United is getting ready to do this again this spring ahead of Polaris 2.0.

Flights to nowhere take off in April and May.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:53 pm

Really? 2.0?

1.0 is barely up yet
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Before people get gagged-up by a new round of CDA/NDAs, United is getting ready to do this again this spring ahead of Polaris 2.0.

Flights to nowhere take off in April and May.
I thought Polaris 2.0 was last year’s service revision (no more weird plastic flutes, beverage carts in the aisle, removal of wine flights/Bloody Mary, return of bread basket, etc.)?

Feels like a moving target! I‘ll go out on a limb and predict mattress pads and PJs go away this time around, along with a reduction in bedding.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Why do I sense they’ll try to test one tray service for all flights in the name of “speed.”

What I’d like is something like Air France at JFK. The lounge meal is the same as the onboard meal - and if you dine in the lounge they don’t board your meal.

Reduces waste and speeds up the onboard without quality reductions for people with no time for the lounge.

But their dining room there seats a higher percent of pac since it’s only a few flights but something like 40% of pax use it.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:46 pm

On EU flights that works but not on TPACs from the east coast.

but I’d be a huge fan of a wider variety of meals that can be pre ordered.
cerealmarketer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.