Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA changes for Australia - seasonal reductions IAH/LAX, adding SFO-MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA changes for Australia - seasonal reductions IAH/LAX, adding SFO-MEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by docbert
Who, exactly, are you vehemently disagreeing with? Me, or yourself? Because only a few hours ago you said :
Actually, you because you said:

Originally Posted by docbert
Most if not everyone on this thread seems to have received notifications for the changes. Yes, it took a few days for some people, but that's for reservations that are months away that's not a huge issue.
I think it is a huge issue for two reasons.

One, is that now folks are funneled into fewer flights. For myself, my biggest worry was that we had lost our seat assignments in J - and that any wholesale shifts in folks from one flight to another usually end poorly as evidenced by the assigned seat thread after plane swaps.

Two, is that the later one is notified of this big of a change, the fewer options that may be available to switch to make plans work because now I'm competing against even more folks for fewer seats on fewer flights.

I and my wife don't have much flexibility to hit the Oz Fest since we were already arriving into SYD the day it starts. Trying to reschedule our flight to make it to SYD either forces us to leave earlier - which is now true since we have to travel up to SFO and which can be problematic if flow control is in full force on May 22nd in the evening - or take another path that's even longer such as LAX-IAH-SYD and is not what we'd signed up for.

Also it now really impacts our planning in arriving at LAX - since our LAX-SFO flight departs at 7:30 PM, instead of arriving directly into LAX at 8 PM or so for a 10:30 PM LAX-SYD departure, we're now guaranteed to deal with rush hour at LAX.

Look, we've never made this flight ever - this will be our very first to anywhere in Australia. We don't have much flexibility in the arrival piece. And affording to get into J when we need to be there isn't something I can necessarily replicate if UA's flights are now full because I was notified days after everyone else.

Again, if UA is going to muck with their flights, let us know as soon as it happens - not hours or days later when recovery options have already started to shrink, even for flights that may be weeks or months in the future.

David

Last edited by DELee; Feb 10, 2019 at 9:12 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by mmthomps

Called United, they were able to make the changes back to LAX-SYD-PER and preserve our upgrades both ways.
Am I reading your note correctly?

Did you write that UA is allowing you to go LAX-SYD-PER?

I had my flight from LAX to SYD changed to go from LAX to SFO then to SYD.

You might want to check on your routing -
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Am I reading your note correctly?

Did you write that UA is allowing you to go LAX-SYD-PER?

I had my flight from LAX to SYD changed to go from LAX to SFO then to SYD.

You might want to check on your routing -
LAX-SYD is still possible, but not every day of the week. So if you are will to change the travel day ahead or back one day, LAX-SYD is an option.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

LAX-SYD is still possible, but not every day of the week. So if you are willing to change the travel day ahead or back one day, LAX-SYD is an option.
Thank you very much for this information.

When I read your post, I immediately checked UA's site and saw, indeed, that I can avoid those connecting flights UA assigned to me, post ticketing.

All I had to do, as you suggested, was move my departure flight forward by one day and my return flight by one day - Bingo, the non stop flights are there.

I called UA and without any problem got back my non stops on that very long flight.

The only item left open is changing hotels in Sydney which is an easy online maneuver.

You are the hero of the day - thank you again -
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just some fun for me.
I have the NZ "promotion" ORD-SYD-ORD in business. My outbound routed ORD-LAX-SYD on UA and of course no LAX-SYD UA839 flight anymore. My UA reservation said to call UA (assumed due to cancellation they had taken over ticket). But after 20 minutes on phone with "1K line" (haha), was told to call NZ. OK, called NZ who told me UA839 flight was operating and confirmed. Another laugh. After I suggested they verify with UA or try to book the flight for the date another 20 minutes. Then told me because I used OTA go back to them to call NZ. OK, no problem. I was in KUL and had Skype. Called OTA and first informed flight is confirmed. After going through same talk understood was canceled for Thursday's. I suggested either ORD-IAH-SYD on UA or leave my ORD-LAX on UA as is and rebook LAX-SYD to LAX-AKL-SYD on NZ. Then told they called NZ on 3 different phone numbers and no answer! I gave them the USA 800 number I Skyped and after another 35 minutes told they spoke with NZ but Travel Agent desk not open to make changes! Not sure I believe that one. Said they would call Monday and offer the alternatives to NZ. Now Monday night in London (on my way to NRT). Will see what happens. Not concerned as August flight and after I am back home later this week can spend an hour on hold while I catch up on paperwork.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by zebranz
Just some fun for me.
I have the NZ "promotion" ORD-SYD-ORD in business. My outbound routed ORD-LAX-SYD on UA and of course no LAX-SYD UA839 flight anymore. My UA reservation said to call UA (assumed due to cancellation they had taken over ticket). But after 20 minutes on phone with "1K line" (haha), was told to call NZ. OK, called NZ who told me UA839 flight was operating and confirmed. Another laugh. After I suggested they verify with UA or try to book the flight for the date another 20 minutes. Then told me because I used OTA go back to them to call NZ. OK, no problem. I was in KUL and had Skype. Called OTA and first informed flight is confirmed. After going through same talk understood was canceled for Thursday's. I suggested either ORD-IAH-SYD on UA or leave my ORD-LAX on UA as is and rebook LAX-SYD to LAX-AKL-SYD on NZ. Then told they called NZ on 3 different phone numbers and no answer! I gave them the USA 800 number I Skyped and after another 35 minutes told they spoke with NZ but Travel Agent desk not open to make changes! Not sure I believe that one. Said they would call Monday and offer the alternatives to NZ. Now Monday night in London (on my way to NRT). Will see what happens. Not concerned as August flight and after I am back home later this week can spend an hour on hold while I catch up on paperwork.
try to DM them on twitter (it's worth creating an account solely for issues like these). they tend to put 'better' agents on social media teams, plus you don't have to waste time on the phone.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Getting lucky on my already booked Tix so far. Whew.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:56 am

Transit time in LAX and SFO, also Polaris access possible?

Hi all!

I am flying Panama City (PTY) to Sydney (SYD) using UA, and it was a PTY - LAX - SYD with comfortable 5 hours transit in LAX.

However now they changed my flight to :

PTY - LAX - SFO - SYD

My transit in LAX is 1735 - 1945 (2hr 10mins, Terminal B to Terminal 7), and SFO is 2115 - 2300 (1hr 45mins, Terminal 3 to Terminal I)

Would like to gather information from experienced travellers in LAX and SFO if the transit timings are considered tight?

Also, i'm flying J in both sectors. Do I get to enjoy the new Polaris lounges in both LAX and SFO?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by behyx
Hi all!

I am flying Panama City (PTY) to Sydney (SYD) using UA, and it was a PTY - LAX - SYD with comfortable 5 hours transit in LAX.

However now they changed my flight to :

PTY - LAX - SFO - SYD

My transit in LAX is 1735 - 1945 (2hr 10mins, Terminal B to Terminal 7), and SFO is 2115 - 2300 (1hr 45mins, Terminal 3 to Terminal I)

Would like to gather information from experienced travellers in LAX and SFO if the transit timings are considered tight?

Also, i'm flying J in both sectors. Do I get to enjoy the new Polaris lounges in both LAX and SFO?
You should have access to all Polaris lounges along the way as you're on United metal. The below thread has the access rules.

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

I hear some bad things of LAX immigration wait times. Do you have Global Entry (if eligible)? A small inbound delay followed by a decent wait for immigration can blow that layover time.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not sure what day of the week you’re booked on, or who you booked through, but I’d try and get on a nonstop PTY-SFO to avoid the second stop. Looks like the daily COPA SFO flight gets in too late to connect to the SYD flight, but there are 5 days a week where COPA also runs earlier flights that would do a comfortable connection in SFO. Alternatively, if you’re flexible on days, you can probably move back or forward a day to do original routing. There’s probably also ability to do via IAH all on UA instead of the west coast stop. UA isn’t running LAX-SYD and IAH-SYD daily during the low season, and so the day the LAX flight isn’t running, the IAH one probably is.

Id look up what is running on your day of travel via those 3 hubs to get on a 1-stop, and then calling whoever you booked through (UA, TA or COPA) to ask them to change it to your preferred option. Given the flight changes, you should be able to do that with no fee.

Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by behyx
PTY - LAX - SFO - SYD
Why did they move you off LAX-SYD? I would insist they put me back on, because you're at high risk of a misconnect at SFO.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why did they move you off LAX-SYD? I would insist they put me back on, because you're at high risk of a misconnect at SFO.
Probably because of the seasonal reduction in LAX-SYD service. I'd agree that OP should seek to move to a one-stop itinerary if possible. If s/he is set on traveling on that day, PTY-IAH-SYD should be available (I believe the LAX/IAH-SYD flights run on alternate days, such that at least one of those is operating on any given day). If s/he is set on flying via SFO for some reason, seek to move to an earlier CM flight and/or change day of travel.

Regardless of itinerary, OP will have Polaris Lounge access at all US airports en route by virtue of the SYD flight in J.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA may honor a request for a courtesy change. Both connection times at within MCT and thus it has no obligation to do anything.

Whether the LAX connection is sensible as opposed to "legal" is largely a function of whether OP is a US national, has GE, or traveling with hand luggage only. The more "yes" answers to those three, the better.

If OP does seek a reroute, it is really important to do the research and provide the options you prefer to the UA agent. The easier you make it, the more likely you are to get what you want. You also need to be ready to agree to whatever it is on the spot. The next agent may not be helpful.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkc192
Probably because of the seasonal reduction in LAX-SYD service.
Makes sense.

The LAX I-D connection is probably okay, but those late-day international connections from Southern California to SFO are extremely high risk due to stacking delays when they have ATC at SFO. I see people miss those all the time when flying back to SFO from LAX, SNA, or SAN.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
UA may honor a request for a courtesy change. Both connection times at within MCT and thus it has no obligation to do anything.
Adding a transfer should be a perfectly valid reason to get a free change under the schedule change policy. However, the CM-operated flights may not be available; OP may need to find an all-UA itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.