Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA changes for Australia - seasonal reductions IAH/LAX, adding SFO-MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA changes for Australia - seasonal reductions IAH/LAX, adding SFO-MEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mmthomps
We had flights LAX-SYD-PER and back, with guaranteed upgrades to business, on a Monday and Wednesday. We are now routed through SFO. We could change to Tuesday/Thursday; current inventory shows upgrades available as well. Is there any reason not to make this change? Do I have to call United?
It's probably safest that way - if you call in and have the exact flights you want to take, UA should be able to process it for you.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:03 am

Called United, they were able to make the changes back to LAX-SYD-PER and preserve our upgrades both ways.
jsloan and COSPILOT like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mmthomps
Called United, they were able to make the changes back to LAX-SYD-PER and preserve our upgrades both ways.
How were you able to upgrade SYD-PER?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:15 pm

UA - Booked non stop but UA later changed it to connecting flight

Hi, I booked and ticketed a round trip non stop flight in business class from LAX to Sydney, Australia. As most of us know, that is a very long flight over many hours.

I booked the flight only as a pleasure flight.

Yesterday I got notice that the flight now has a connection. No explanation was given by UA. The flight now goes north to SFO (frequent delays) then to SYD. Then back to SFO to LAX.

Over the years I have been on many flights where a connecting flight was delayed or cancelled. After such a long flight, I do not want to deal with those semi-frequent occurrences.

Now that the former non stop flight was changed to a connecting flight, I no longer want to take the trip.

Does anyone know why the non stop was changed to a connecting flight?

Is there a possibility the flight will return to a non stop after UA gets many ticketed passengers expressing displeasure?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2019 at 12:20 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know why the non stop was changed to a connecting flight?

Is there a possibility the flight will return to a non stop after UA gets many ticketed passengers expressing displeasure?
Ask UA to change the date by a day to get on the non stop service
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Over the years I have been on many flights where a connecting flight was delayed or cancelled. After such a long flight, I do not want to deal with those semi-frequent occurrences.

Now that the former non stop flight was changed to a connecting flight, I no longer want to take the trip. ...
on a schedule change, you can cancel for free or move to a day where the non-stop is still available
Or you can request a longer connection time in SFO to minimize the connection concern.

....Does anyone know why the non stop was changed to a connecting flight? ...
UA is decreasing the schedule frequency seasonally due to (speculation) poor load factors.

....Is there a possibility the flight will return to a non stop after UA gets many ticketed passengers expressing displeasure?
In the short term, unlikely, as UA can offer multiple alternatives.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I booked the flight only as a pleasure flight.
[...]
Now that the former non stop flight was changed to a connecting flight, I no longer want to take the trip.
You haven't stated if it's the outbound or the return that's changed (or both), but...

For the outbound you'll have to leave a few hours earlier, but you'll get to hit-up the Polaris lounges in both LAX and SFO, and you'll get first class on the LAX-SFO flight.

For the return you'll get home a few hours later, but again you'll get the option of going to the Polaris lounges in both SFO and/or LAX (without the change you would have got access to neither. Also arrivals in SFO, but I'm not sure why you'd bother given access to the Polaris lounge).

Given you're flying for pleasure, just something to keep in mind...

If you're still not interested, just call UA. They will move you to another day if that works for you, or allow you to cancel your ticket - all without charge.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I do question the late October restoration of daily Sydney service. Last year, flights were beginning to fill up by the end of September. I would think at least going 5X weekly to/from both locations by the middle of September would better match the gradual seasonal increase in ridership.
The way they structured this change, they have an extra 2 787s to fly to (likely) Europe during the peak NA summer season. The resumption date is based on the first date that they expect Australia service to make more money than Europe, rather than the first date that Australia would fill up based on natural demand.
phkc070408 and findark like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee
Soooo...was checking on mine and my wife's trip LAX-SYD (May 22)/SYD-LAX (May 31) for Oz Fest 16. Lo and behold, our non-stop flights each way were now LAX-SFO-SYD and SYD-SFO-LAX.

No notification e-mails in my inboxes. No notification change on the app. No notification change posted to the reservation page itself - just that now we were on a connection each way. FWIW, the receipt page still shows the return SYD-LAX NS flight - which is now gone from the schedule as well.

So, some quick digging - it appears that the first gaps in the LAX-SYD NS daily are Wednesday, March 13, 2019 and Thursday, March 14, 2019. Next drops that I can find are all Wednesdays in April and May. Didn't do any digging for SYD-LAX drops.

FWIW.

David
Update: E-mail schedule change notification finally showed up at 12:17 pm Pacific today (02/10/19). Also, page for the reservation itself is back to the "current" white space hog page instead of the old CO-style reservation page showing a 739 flying SFO-SYD.

Man, too much "gotta keep an eye on reservations" crap.

David
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:13 pm

Funny thing is, we had a return on 4/30 SYD-IAH-LAX that they now propose to change to SYD-LAX-IAH-LAX. Free mileage run?!
onthesam likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Man, too much "gotta keep an eye on reservations" crap.

David
Originally Posted by ShagU
Funny thing is, we had a return on 4/30 SYD-IAH-LAX that they now propose to change to SYD-LAX-IAH-LAX. Free mileage run?!
While yes, a phone call and frequently checking reservations can workaround the issues described in this thread -- it really shows UA's systemic failures in basic customer service. Just because a computer pushes out a stupid reroute SYD-LAX-IAH-LAX, doesn't excuse the airline. Nor, in this day of push notifications, e-mail, text and phone call notification, is there any excuse for simply rebooking pax without promptly informing them of changes.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by onthesam
Nor, in this day of push notifications, e-mail, text and phone call notification, is there any excuse for simply rebooking pax without promptly informing them of changes.
Most if not everyone on this thread seems to have received notifications for the changes. Yes, it took a few days for some people, but that's for reservations that are months away that's not a huge issue.

And remember, for reservations not made through UA directly it's technically the job of the TA to make the notification, not the airline.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by docbert
Most if not everyone on this thread seems to have received notifications for the changes. Yes, it took a few days for some people, but that's for reservations that are months away that's not a huge issue.

And remember, for reservations not made through UA directly it's technically the job of the TA to make the notification, not the airline.
I really, really vehemently disagree. United has published not one word of this change anywhere - the only confirmation of any changes are from a separate source.

There's nothing on my Manage Reservations page that shows that the PNR changed:
Fine. Then go and view the trip page itself. Nothing there either that shows United has rebooked me and my wife on any flights:
And for sure, I will have to call UA since there's no earning info = which to me is an indicator that the PNR is still out of sync:
And, no, I booked this trip with my own little hot hands on United's website. So there's no one else to let me know that _anything_ has changed.

As soon as United touched and modified my PNR, it should have let me know across all of the devices/inboxes/etc. that it has on file for me. There's no if ands or buts.

I and other customers are having to play this stupid game because UA can't get its IT act together.

David
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In all fairness, give it a week. Legacy IT systems are slow to deal with batches of information this large, and the vast majority of the traveling public doesn't babysit their reservations the way we do. I would expect UA to eventually start notifying and reaching out.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:35 pm

I really, really vehemently disagree. United has published not one word of this change anywhere - the only confirmation of any changes are from a separate source.
Who, exactly, are you vehemently disagreeing with? Me, or yourself? Because only a few hours ago you said :

Update: E-mail schedule change notification finally showed up at 12:17 pm Pacific today (02/10/19).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.