Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA changes for Australia - seasonal reductions IAH/LAX, adding SFO-MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Just booked a RT non-stop from IAH to SYD earlier this week for travel in April/May. Since this is a "once in a lifetime" trip and a long-haul flight we opted to pay for Premium Economy and selected desired seats. We have already been ticketed/paid for these flights. Looking at UA's website today it appears the non-stop from IAH is no longer there! Only options now seem to be from IAH to SFO or LAX, then on to SYD. Does this mean UA has already canx the IAH-SYD non-stop and we should be prepared for the extra stopover in SFO or LAX? When would they normally advise booked passengers of such a change? Thanks for any insights - this kind of long haul flight is new to us and we thought this flight option was a good one. It will be disappointing if we have to add another leg onto the trip we weren't expecting.
bballdad175 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:32 am

You probably will be contacted soon with options. I think UA is flying IAH-SYD on alternate days for a few months then going back to daily. May make sense since it's low season for Australia when it's spring/summer in the northern Hemisphere.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Well, I got a SYD-LAX cancellation notice this morning and was re-routed via IAH! It looks like they are operating LAX/IAH now on alternating days instead of daily. An interesting strategy.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
MWF and Sunday

Originally Posted by 2Travelers2go
Just booked a RT non-stop from IAH to SYD earlier this week for travel in April/May. Since this is a "once in a lifetime" trip and a long-haul flight we opted to pay for Premium Economy and selected desired seats. We have already been ticketed/paid for these flights. Looking at UA's website today it appears the non-stop from IAH is no longer there! Only options now seem to be from IAH to SFO or LAX, then on to SYD. Does this mean UA has already canx the IAH-SYD non-stop and we should be prepared for the extra stopover in SFO or LAX? When would they normally advise booked passengers of such a change? Thanks for any insights - this kind of long haul flight is new to us and we thought this flight option was a good one. It will be disappointing if we have to add another leg onto the trip we weren't expecting.
I checked the middle week of April. UA still has IAH-SYD on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. So, it is no longer a daily flight.Cheers.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Gold
Seems UA sent out a press release about this a few hours ago:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...x-syd-changes/
robbpf likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I am definitely glad I booked for Mrs. cfischer 2 months ago when IN was plentiful ... that has dried up substantially now!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by zspitzer
Seems UA sent out a press release about this a few hours ago:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...x-syd-changes/
Rats... LAX-SYD was a nice easy upgrade
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Exclamation Schedule change: LAX-SYD NS flights no longer daily (1st change 03/13/19)

Soooo...was checking on mine and my wife's trip LAX-SYD (May 22)/SYD-LAX (May 31) for Oz Fest 16. Lo and behold, our non-stop flights each way were now LAX-SFO-SYD and SYD-SFO-LAX.

No notification e-mails in my inboxes. No notification change on the app. No notification change posted to the reservation page itself - just that now we were on a connection each way. FWIW, the receipt page still shows the return SYD-LAX NS flight - which is now gone from the schedule as well.

So, some quick digging - it appears that the first gaps in the LAX-SYD NS daily are Wednesday, March 13, 2019 and Thursday, March 14, 2019. Next drops that I can find are all Wednesdays in April and May. Didn't do any digging for SYD-LAX drops.

FWIW.

David
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
And yet UA insists they are competing at LAX...
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
And yet UA insists they are competing at LAX...
They still have more flights from LAX to Australia than any other US airline (10 a week v's 7 for AA/DL).

The Australian airlines are flooding the US-AU market at the moment (Qantas has 26 flights a week to LAX, plus another 16 to SFO/DFW, and Virgin has 18 to LAX), and the prices are showing there's too much capacity. $4xx and $5xx airfares to Australia are readily available at the moment, not just from the gateways but even including connections (there were sub-$450 to ORD a few days ago) - and that includes ~$150 in taxes.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Rats... LAX-SYD was a nice easy upgrade
A sure advance warning
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A sure advance warning
Indeed.. maybe the saving grace will be someone starting a J fare war to match what's been going on in the rear cabin
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by 2Travelers2go

Go to your reservation on UA’s site. If something like this shows on the detailed itineary, there has been a changed.

Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Launching SFO-MEL. I am concerned this will cut into LAX-MEL service down the road as well.
Hopefully, LAX will at least pick up the slack with another/new destination soon.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by northsideguy

Go to your reservation on UA’s site. If something like this shows on the detailed itineary, there has been a changed.
Nope. Nothing and no indicator that the flights have changed on my reservation via UA's web site.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.