Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-LAX-SYD New Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
And I'm not sure AKL isn't equivalent yielding. There is no real competition on that route (just JV partner NZ). I understand J fares are very consistently $8k plus. By contrast, you have DL, QF, and VA all competing into SYD.
ANZ is a weird market. Consistently high fares and light loads, including lots of upgrade space (to AKL in particular), so it's pretty hard to puzzle out what the financials are on the route. Definitely fewer paid seats than many others, but they are getting more money for them.

Australia Economy yields have collapsed with the flood of new service, but this hasn't hit NZ as hard (yet) -- although there is plenty of incursion with QF/DL/VA/AA being happy to sell you US to NZ via Oz.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by findark
ANZ is a weird market. Consistently high fares and light loads, including lots of upgrade space (to AKL in particular), so it's pretty hard to puzzle out what the financials are on the route. Definitely fewer paid seats than many others, but they are getting more money for them.
It's been a couple of years, but a UA insider told me these routes could operate with as little as half the seats filled, and they'd still make money on freight.
lixiaojuventus and mrt88 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boofer
It's been a couple of years, but a UA insider told me these routes could operate with as little as half the seats filled, and they'd still make money on freight.
Exact same as I was told — they need the 773 for freight capacity — they apparently fill it every day at a good rate
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark

Australia Economy yields have collapsed with the flood of new service, but this hasn't hit NZ as hard (yet) -- although there is plenty of incursion with QF/DL/VA/AA being happy to sell you US to NZ via Oz.
Is cargo a factor in this? Seen plane to AKL had alot of containers being loaded.

Edit: question answered on down thread
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Don't suppose anyone has every flown a 747 combi on the route?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by evanroberts
It's odd that AKL is getting the new Polaris regularly, now gets Premium Plus, but the presumably higher yield Australian ports get the old seats.
I would think AKL is a low end leisure market. NZ only has 18 J seats on its 787s. So AKL must have lots of freight. AKL is an easy upgrade on UA great place to use your GPUs
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by mellon
I would think AKL is a low end leisure market. NZ only has 18 J seats on its 787s. So AKL must have lots of freight. AKL is an easy upgrade on UA great place to use your GPUs
I have noticed on NZ operated flights a lot of American passengers on vacations. Given NZ pretty much gives 0 award space in Business I would think these are all paid fares (which usually go for around $5-6k ex SFO operated with a 77W)

They've got a second more premium heavy config on the 787s they use on US routes with 27 in Business (and 44 on the 77W)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mellon
I would think AKL is a low end leisure market.
Low end? I have friends who pay $8k for J in December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.