Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United posts dismal on-time performance in January 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...rformance.html

United Airlines very badly lagged its three largest competitors in on-time arrival performance in January.

Airline data behemoth OAG on Thursday released the on-time results for January, showing United a very distant fourth in the on-time arrivals derby that also includes the nation’s three other largest carriers — Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines and American Airlines.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Besides weather, cramming even more flights into congested SFO & EWR airports is mentioned in the article as well.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:15 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I wish I had a 73.6% on-time percentage in January!

In January alone, I spent 4 nights on UA's dime in hotels in various cities, one was a Transpac mechanical cancellation, one a domestic. 2 were weather related. To further the problem, on the 'big cancellation' Saturday a few weeks ago, I was on 7 different UAX flights that canceled throughout the day. Some mainline, most Skywest. ...And I know that the Express carriers don't even count in the abysmal numbers. I'm sure the full report has Skywest and Air Wisconsin's numbers as well, and I'd bet they're much worse than UA's!

February isn't much better. 4 flights this week, ONE was on time. One 20 minute delay, one 45 minute delay and the worst was last night, a 3 hour delay. 2/3 weather. One because of 'operations' which forced our inbound crew to be late.

Indeed they talk about EWR and SFO, but Chicago has just been absolutely horrible this winter. I know it's one excuse after another, but the first snowflake falls and they're cancelling and delaying things just. like. that. I know it's smaller, but DTW gets very similar weather to ORD, and it's not nearly as bad.

My big question, why doesn't ORD have de-icing pads like every other bad weather airport on the planet?*

(*I know the 'every other...planet' isn't true, but most of you will understand my tongue-in-cheek comment).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Every winter weather prone airport should be like MSP. Fastest deicing perhaps in the world.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I had 12 flights in January - all on time.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
My big question, why doesn't ORD have de-icing pads like every other bad weather airport on the planet?
Last I heard, that was in the works (as in scheduled for construction) on the west side of the field, but who knows where that stands. It's really an inefficient system currently.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
The ops problems this winter have been a comedy of errors, and not just due to weather... Had a fun one a couple weeks ago where the prior night's inbound was 3-hours late due to MX, so the gap between arrival and FAA-mandated rest requirements couldn't be met. So the first flight of the day was 3-hours delayed. Finally board, and, whoops... they hadn't bothered to fuel the plane. By the time they got the plane fueled, a bunch of people onboard were now going to misconnect AGAIN, and wanted to get off. Until they offloaded those pax, we got in ~5 hours late.

About two weeks prior to that, had a crew time-out on the ground, due to an FAA traffic control program into BOS, that resulted in the flight being cancelled.

Weather was bad, but UA ops last month were horrible.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Unfortunately nothing new here. UA almost always lags the competition on on-time performance during difficult (winter weather, T-storms etc.) weather periods. Somehow other airlines are MUCH better dealing with the elements compared to UA.
I can attest to this myself this month where it took an enormous amount of time to get the plane off the gate and then de-ice ... like an hour and a half ... in Boston (!) where they should really be equipped to deal with winter weather.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I would like to see these statistics broken down a bit...for example, what effect do the many NYC ATC restrictions caused by wind etc. have on UA versus the other airlines? ORD issues? SFO issues?

I suspect that any airline that had a gigantic hub at ATL would have a built-in advantage, but I'm just speculating.

Originally Posted by cfischer
...I can attest to this myself this month where it took an enormous amount of time to get the plane off the gate and then de-ice ... like an hour and a half ... in Boston (!) where they should really be equipped to deal with winter weather.
UA issue or BOS issue?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Zero issues with any of my flights (all mainline) in January. Heck, my EWR-DEN flight was 40(!) minutes early.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The government shutdown also had a disproportionate effect on EWR.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why is that? Didn't it impact all NYC airports about the same?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Why is that? Didn't it impact all NYC airports about the same?
The percentage of United flights through EWR is significantly higher than the percentage of any other airline's NYC flights.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead
UA issue or BOS issue?
UA issue

The percentage of United flights through EWR is significantly higher than the percentage of any other airline's NYC flights.
huh, how is that relevant? UA is not the largest carrier in NYC anymore. Not sure how the presence at EWR has anything to do with this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Really? I had a remarkably good January at EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.