Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Options to change return of a super-cheap BE Int'l fare, after flying outbound leg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options to change return of a super-cheap BE Int'l fare, after flying outbound leg?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
"Wrong" is a value judgment, so I'll leave that aside. But your first and second sentences don't make sense together. If you think that UA can ask for the fare difference, the only logical reason is because the OP engaged in a practice contrary to the CoC. Otherwise, it would be a prohibited post-purchase price increase.
No, if I change my ticket and the airline charges the difference, that is not a post-purchase price increase. It happens all the time. If I have a ticket SFO-LAX and I call the airline and say "I want to fly SFO-LAX next weekend instead", they will say "no problem" and charge me a difference in fare (and possibly a change fee).

If you ask me, a truly unchangable fare was not envisioned when the CoC was drafted, and so it is a little vague. According to your interpretation, if I just no-showed for my simple SFO-LAX one-way BE ticket because I'm too sick to travel, I'm violating the CoC. If I call them and ask to change, they will say no.

CoC interpretation by FTers aside, nothing UA has said about BE, either in interviews or on their website, makes me think that UA thinks that buying a BE ticket and not flying it is against the CoC. They say "use it or lose it" or "your ticket has no value if not flown as ticketed" or similar.
nsx likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I wouldn't call it throw away ticketing when we bought a more expensive replacement ticket, also from UA. We bought it with miles, but it accrues a lot more than $140 revenue on UA's books. For biz seats which were not available last August.

Furthermore, UA knows that many Basic Economy passengers decide to change return dates and buy new tickets. That has never been considered throwaway ticketing as far as I know.
Splitting hairs. UA doesn't care, they will sell the seat either way ... nice try, though.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. This is absolutely "throwaway" ticketing. Take a look at Rule 6(J)(2) of the contract to which the passenger agreed. The fact that this is a BE ticket is a red herring. Even if this were a standard penalty fare with a typical change fee of $300 and one wanted to change the return and the new one-way did not incur a fare difference, unlikely as it is, it would still make no sense to pay $300 to change half of a $279 ticket.

2. There is little risk of UA taking action against the passenger here presuming that she is not a serial offender.

3. There is zero advantage in cancelling the ticket in advance. As others note, UA has built into its RM/IM algorithms the likelihood of cancellations and thus overbooks its flights to take that into account. Additionally, if by some chance the return flight is cancelled or significantly delayed by UA, the passenger will be entitled to some kind of a refund, small as it may be.

4. The only caution here is that the new ticket cannot be an "impossible" booking. That will be picked up by UA and it is entirely possible that UA will cancel that. If the new ticket is "impossible" then go ahead and cancel the BE return segment and be done with it.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:42 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by threeoh
If you ask me, a truly unchangable fare was not envisioned when the CoC was drafted, and so it is a little vague
Correct. However the functional equivalent has long existed: a ticket whose residual value is less than the change fee.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The purchase and use of round-trip Tickets for the purpose of one-way travel only, known as “Throwaway Ticketing” is prohibited by UA.
Originally Posted by Zorak
But it does say "for the purpose of one-way travel". It's a different word, but arguably has enough semantic overlap with "intent".
Right. In the CoC context, "purpose" means what you intended at the time of purchase. Otherwise the CoC would have said "The use of..."
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Intent to fly

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Theres no mention of intention.
Again, the definition in the CoC above makes no mention of ‘intention’.
Well the CoC certainly requires intent to fly.

UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking.
However, one could argue that 1) OP satisfied this requirement upon flying the OB segment or 2) OP had the intent to fly all ticket segments at the time of purchase.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nsx
Right. In the CoC context, "purpose" means what you intended at the time of purchase. Otherwise the CoC would have said "The use of..."
Or "the effect of".

Anyway regardless of how the CoC is parsed, I think we could agree that this has the effect of being throwaway even if it wasn't originally intended, and also that it's unlikely to have any repercussions as a one-off.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
1. This is absolutely "throwaway" ticketing. Take a look at Rule 6(J)(2) of the contract to which the passenger agreed. The fact that this is a BE ticket is a red herring. Even if this were a standard penalty fare with a typical change fee of $300 and one wanted to change the return and the new one-way did not incur a fare difference, unlikely as it is, it would still make no sense to pay $300 to change half of a $279 ticket.
It's not a red herring. The 'correct' CoC-approved thing to do if you have a $279 r/t ticket with a $300 change fee is to call, change your ticket to a one-way, pay the change fee, and pay the $2,000+ difference in fare.

The 'correct' CoC-approved thing to do with a BE ticket is totally unclear.

In both cases you can get away with no-showing once. But in one case it's clear what you're doing that instead of, and in the BE case it isn't at all clear what the alternative is.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by TA
I love how some members here think they're so expert that they can interpret UA's rules for them.
Actually, there's a principle in contract law that when party A writes the contract and party B basically has no control over the writing of the contract, any ambiguity is read so as to be charitable to party B. So yes, if you have a legitimate read of United's CoC that disagrees with United, all other things being equal, yours is the one most likely to hold up in court.

That being said, given that the money we are talking about seems too small to go to court over, United has all the power and is most likely going to go with their own interpretation.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I love how these threads devolve into OP bashing and then lots of “what if’s”...

the answer to the question is that you have lots of options depending on how much you want to spend. Lots of good suggestions already given and I see you just bought a ticket which makes me wonder why you asked the question.

Overall, your strategy to buy cheap BE and then refare if needed is a good one.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, if I change my ticket and the airline charges the difference, that is not a post-purchase price increase. It happens all the time. If I have a ticket SFO-LAX and I call the airline and say "I want to fly SFO-LAX next weekend instead", they will say "no problem" and charge me a difference in fare (and possibly a change fee).
Right, but you're asserting that UA could charge a passenger without them actually making a change, simply by no-showing.

if I just no-showed for my simple SFO-LAX one-way BE ticket because I'm too sick to travel, I'm violating the CoC. If I call them and ask to change, they will say no.
I believe the general interpretation is that you must get some advantage from it, vis à vis the fare rules, for it to be a violation.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
the answer to the question is that you have lots of options depending on how much you want to spend. Lots of good suggestions already given and I see you just bought a ticket which makes me wonder why you asked the question.
OP was hoping to get partial credit for the unused ticket.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Overall, your strategy to buy cheap BE and then refare if needed is a good one.
Not really. BE can't be changed or re-fared. If some other change needed to be made -- instead of changing to a one-way award -- OP's relative would have been looking at a $2300+ one-way fare on UA, or about a $900 fare on other carriers in the GDS. (French Bee isn't listed and might well be the cheapest). The other option, of course, would have been buying yet another throwaway return ticket -- SFO-CDG RT is currently running about $600 with 7 day advance purchase.

In general, BE only makes sense when the chance of a change is very small, especially TATL, where one-way, non-ULCC fares tend to be so exorbitant.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
I don’t read it that way. I read it as your purpose is to fly one way if you only actually fly one way (ie, for example, if you don’t show up to return). You can bet UA lawyers have been over the CoC countless times and debating about specific words. Given folks are arguing about it here, and very well could be purposeful (no pun intended) to use it in the way they desire should it be challenged.

Originally Posted by jsloan
OP was hoping to get partial credit for the unused ticket.
actually, hasn’t been brought up, it was a bit buried in the OP, but OP mentioned wanting UA to waive a future change fee to the ‘replacement’ J award ticket, if something better became available. Which is not something that an agent would do, even if the availability was there at the time of any call with a request to do so, much less for any availability that came up in the future.

Point is: OP doesn’t have any options to get anything back - UA isn’t going to help. The couple of options they do have is to decide whether they want to cancel the original return ASAP, so that they don’t have the J ticket canceled if it is an ‘impossible’ booking’, or to wait it out, take the chance of that happening in the case that they are able to get a partial refund should there be IRROPS affecting the original flight.
Collierkr likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sykes
It IS throw-away ticketing. As a travel agent, I had a similar situation happen with a client flying BA.

Client bought a non-changeable roundtrip ticket A-B-A within Europe on BA. Once they got to B, their business plans changed and they needed to travel onward. They abandoned the return and bought an onward ticket (also on BA). BA did an audit and hit me with an $600 debit memo for the cost difference between the one-way that the client flew and the roundtrip that he paid for (and denied the debit memo appeal).

Is it fair? Not really (IMO). But it is throw-away ticketing.

Edited to add: In most cases, such an issue would never catch someone's attention as long as it is a one-off, but BA was on a campaign to combat intentional throw-away ticketing and was hitting agencies on every single throw-away ticket, even when there was a reasonable explanation.
Airlines audit for this type of behavior to incentivise travel agents not to do things like this: OTA booked me on a throw-away ticket!

I agree with the consensus above - this is textbook throwaway ticketing and contrary to the CoC terms; however, it is unlikely that UA will pursue OP for the fare difference if this is a first time infraction. I would not, however, recommend calling UA and telling them that you intend to throw away the return.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Like everyone else, to OP's question, there is no way United is going to give you anything for a non-refundable ticket.

I generally disagree with the rest of the thread. Sure, according to the UA CoC, this might be throwaway ticketing.

But when you buy a BE ticket, United very specifically tells you that if you do not fly the ticket as booked, you lose all value of the ticket.

That's it. The second they try to charge anyone for not flying the return they are opening themselves up to a whole world of hurt. United has already provided the remedy to the purchaser that if they don't want to fly the 2nd leg, they lose the value of that leg. You can't say one thing very clearly in the booking process then bury something else in the contract of adhesion (CoC).

If that doesn't work with their fare pricing, the remedy for that is for them to make their fare pricing reasonable.

Now, end of the day, United can refuse to have you as a customer in the future, but that is the limit of their ability to penalize the passenger whose travel plans change and has to forfeit the ticket the airline refuses to let them change.

And end of THAT day, I doubt United really wants the publicity that might result from taking any action against a passenger who just didn't fly something they already paid for.
nsx and drewguy like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:59 pm

I don’t read it that way. I read it as your purpose is to fly one way if you only actually fly one way (ie, for example, if you don’t show up to return). You can bet UA lawyers have been over the CoC countless times and debating about specific words.
Then why insert the word “purpose” in the text in the first place. Why not just say if you do not fly the return leg of a round trip you are breaking the CoC.

To me the most logical conclusion is that the wording is targeted at those who intentionally game the system, not those who simply cannot make their return leg because they fall ill, miss their flight because they are running late etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.