Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris club makes CNN "luxury 8" list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/l...ges/index.html

And it's the only US lounge on the list. Well deserved. But such a shame that the reason for being in a Polaris Lounge (a flight on an airplane) is being "enhanced" bit by stingy bit.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by elitefreak
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/l...ges/index.html

And it's the only US lounge on the list. Well deserved. But such a shame that the reason for being in a Polaris Lounge (a flight on an airplane) is being "enhanced" bit by stingy bit.
I think that the lounge's opulence and the on-board enhancements are directly connected. The added costs of the lounge are being paid for by cuts to the on board product.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Don't hire the writer as a personal shopper:

"United won't comment on ticket pricing, but a quick look online reveals that fares vary depending on the route. A recent search for a business class flight between New York and Hong Kong showed tickets starting at $15,000 round-trip."
flyme2, AceReport, adunker and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
The added costs of the lounge are being paid for by cuts to the on board product.
My opinion - lie flat and some drinks and basic food if hungry is all I need. If onboard cuts fund the Polaris lounges, I'm all for it - I'd rather spend time in the lounge and its selections than eat anything warmed and served in the sky.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
My opinion - lie flat and some drinks and basic food if hungry is all I need. If onboard cuts fund the Polaris lounges, I'm all for it - I'd rather spend time in the lounge and its selections than eat anything warmed and served in the sky.
That's a great strategy when departing the USA. But when boarding in most outstations around the world, it doesn't work so well. Like a lot of United's "enhancements," the thinking behind this strategy is half baked.

I predict it will take a year or so for the effects of this approach to become apparent, and then there will be an adjustment back towards more decent on-board catering.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Don't hire the writer as a personal shopper:

"United won't comment on ticket pricing, but a quick look online reveals that fares vary depending on the route. A recent search for a business class flight between New York and Hong Kong showed tickets starting at $15,000 round-trip."
Sure, but if you can get in with an upgraded $300 ticket to Manchester then the place clearly isn't half as exotic as if it costs you $15K to get in, right?!?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
In which world is the Polaris lounge even in the same league as any of the first class lounges mentioned?

Is it the Cowshed?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
In which world is the Polaris lounge even in the same league as any of the first class lounges mentioned?

Is it the Cowshed?
Perhaps not the FC lounges. However, I am currently sitting in the HKIA SilverKris lounge, and believe me, the Polaris lounges are miles ahead in every regard. Coincidentally, I was in the WR Polaris lounge a few hours ago and mentioned the article to Daniel, one of the managers, as well as a couple of the servers with whom I am familiar. None of them were aware of the write up. In all honesty, it is really a fluff piece.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Is it the Cowshed?
What’s the relevance of your question? Try to remember that Polaris is a business class lounge, not a first class lounge. You’re trying to compare apples to oranges rather than apples to apples. As a business class lounge, Polaris is a very fine lounge.

In the past two weeks, I’ve been in the Polaris lounges in IAH, LAX, & SFO, the SilverKris lounges in SYD & SIN (Terminal 2), the SATS lounge in SIN & the Air New Zealand Lounge in SYD. The Polaris lounges aren’t in the same league as the others I mentioned - the Polaris lounges are leagues ahead of them. In fact, IMO, Polaris Lounges are much better than the LH Senator Lounges in IAD, FRA, & MUC, OS Senator Lounge in Vienna, TK Lounge at IAD, & slightly better than the LX Senator Lounge in ZRH (Terminal E).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

What’s the relevance of your question? Try to remember that Polaris is a business class lounge, not a first class lounge. You’re trying to compare apples to oranges rather than apples to apples.
ummm... I didnt write the list comparing Polaris to First Class lounges ... CNN did.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:17 am

ummm... I didnt write the list comparing Polaris to First Class lounges ... CNN did.
ummm... maybe it would have been better to provide some context and clarity with your question. The way your post is phrased, IMO, comes off as dissing the Polaris Lounge.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

ummm... maybe it would have been better to provide some context and clarity with your question. The way your post is phrased, IMO, comes off as dissing the Polaris Lounge.
yes, the Polaris lounge, as nice as it is for a US airline lounge, does not make the top 8 lounges in the world as identified by the article - thats the context, the article.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
yes, the Polaris lounge, as nice as it is for a US airline lounge, does not make the top 8 lounges in the world as identified by the article - thats the context, the article.
Agreed, very generous reporting , I have not been in the Virgin lounge in years but I have been in the others recently, The danger of putting them on the list is that there is an automatic comparison of quality and they are different universes compared to UA. The UA space is pretty nice (US basis) food product quality....meh ..........food in the QF business lounge in BNE beats EWR

Last edited by wanderingkev; Feb 8, 2019 at 11:43 am
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:48 pm

Thanks for the clarity.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I haven't been to the EWR Club yet -- is it really better than ORD + SFO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.