Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wild speculation on UA's new strategy for Polaris, Upgrades and Award Space

Wild speculation on UA's new strategy for Polaris, Upgrades and Award Space

Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
I guess this thread brings the assumption that UA thinks it's FF program is stellar, as the only logical reason why they'd price their fares higher than the competition for the same routes. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good, but it has a lot of room for improvement! And I don't believe the new Polaris lounges & seats will draw any more than an OK profit. Wonder how long UA will go about this strategy before their profits slump or FF customers have had enough?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by MrGood
I guess this thread brings the assumption that UA thinks it's FF program is stellar, as the only logical reason why they'd price their fares higher than the competition for the same routes. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good, but it has a lot of room for improvement! And I don't believe the new Polaris lounges & seats will draw any more than an OK profit. Wonder how long UA will go about this strategy before their profits slump or FF customers have had enough?
Whatever the reason, UA has no problems filling up the front of the aircraft. They dont price because they think they have a good product, they know they dont. And if a quality product influenced price SQ would be the highest in every market. What UA does have are hubs in high revenue business markets with industries that require lots of last minute travel, Tech, O&G, Banking, so why discount a product just to sell early when you know theres a good chance of selling at a much higher price later, when you have the only available product left. Contrary to popular belief on this site, the Polaris cabin is not just there for the FF community
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
This is the year I am watching my number of successful upgrades. I have seven currently applied of which two have been successful. I have another two to be used, so nine in total for the year. I have also applied all my RPUs of which two were successful snd I knew they would be but it was my son's 21st birthday flight to LAS so wanted to ensure he got 1A (he has very, very long legs) but normally just wait for a CPU on short flights.

I will make Platinum this year with my PQD, but holding off on the additional $6k to make 1K for 2020 as my PQM will be close to 110,000 miles in 2019 for flights currently booked. I only have a couple more trips but can just as easily fly LH out of SAN to Europe and JAL to Asia.

i have said it before that I understand United is there to make money for their shareholders soI want to see if this "perceived" change in policy will ultimately benefit my upgrade chances with GPUs. I just read on another thread where someone once again jumped the queue for the upgrade by having the CS phone agent force it - instead following the policy that it should go first on the list (and the FT member was #7 as noted by the CS agent and congrats to that person for the successful upgrade). Things like rogue CS agents decrease my upgrade chances - last year was the first time in many years where my GPUs were not successful as i tend to fly on off days and at off times.

So all for United restricting upgrades and saver awards until they have get every last dollar for their front of cabin seats, but it will likely mean that more of my spend will go to OALs.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I just read on another thread where someone once again jumped the queue for the upgrade by having the CS phone agent force it - instead following the policy that it should go first on the list (and the FT member was #7 as noted by the CS agent and congrats to that person for the successful upgrade). Things like rogue CS agents decrease my upgrade chances - last year was the first time in many years where my GPUs were not successful as i tend to fly on off days and at off times.
To clarify, I never said I was #7 on the waitlist, but that there were 7 people on the waitlist... they easily could have been no-status/platinum/gold silver with miles+co-pay upgrades pending... So I don't think CS agents are going rogue. If anything, IT is the issue for not processing upgrades pending automatically if PZ space opens up.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Similar position to the OP for me, made 1K Last year with 3 flights to Asia in J and 1 UG Y to Europe. I Book mostly 4 to 2 weeks out and mostly have flexabilty on dates. Had a final trip after making 1K and had to Fly SQ due to the massive premium to fly UA. Glad I was forced back on to SQ because I had forgotten how much better the product suits me. Not done a single mile on UA this year yet. Have 1MM *G so there is a good chance I wont fly UA this year unless I find a way to use 8GPU and 8 RPU.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
To clarify, I never said I was #7 on the waitlist, but that there were 7 people on the waitlist... they easily could have been no-status/platinum/gold silver with miles+co-pay upgrades pending... So I don't think CS agents are going rogue. If anything, IT is the issue for not processing upgrades pending automatically if PZ space opens up.
"Not sure if I should feel bad, but Im a 1K .she said there were 7 ppl on the upgrade list, which made me wish I had bought a v fare instead of w to increase my chances, or at least be higher up on the waitlist...but she was worried I would lose my place in the upgrade line if she did that...She called another dept and got it pushed through... I am happy as its a super long flight, but do feel a little bad I make have skipped over ppl in the queue. "

My bad. The quote is from your original post so I thought you also believed you had jumped the queue.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
@fellow Ft'ers: this is an excellent discussion--it is much more than snark or bomb throwing. Thank you! I think this all adds up to UAL's strategic prediction of what it takes to maximize profit, not just revenue or goodwill. A couple of observations: UAL has exited the first class international market. Therefore, they have determined that they are not going after the ultra high dollar customer (who can't do NetJets or own or have a fractional share of their own bird). That also means that they can reduce the labor necessary for a bespoke/high touch soft product and add more J seats than the space required for F. The actual dollar cost of catering for first class food and champagne/wine/drinks is negligible for paying first class customers. Heck, even bringing back real caviar for international first class customers has to be less than $100 per pax. Polaris was supposed to be a game changer for J, but once implemented, it was too tempting to shave the costs, especially when extrapolated at scale (e.g., if we can save $40 per pax per seat, then that results in an additional $X million to the bottom line and a bonus/promotion/pat on the back to the one who suggested it). Last, the implementation of dynamic pricing (with respect to tickets, awards and upgrades) helps go after the last extra dollar. If sporting events can adjust the price by opponent, day and individual seat, then airlines can certainly do it. Last, IMHO I suspect that there is an ongoing experiment to see how much can be shaved or reduced before travelers with discretion will book another airline (especially if you have a corporate contract with UA then it is going to take a lot to get the ordinary staff who have to comply with travel policy to switch to another airline). I welcome others' thoughts/experiences (as if I had to invite FT'ers to weigh in!).

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; Feb 16, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dilanesp
FF programs, as a whole, are supposed to incentivize brand loyalty..On a whole, I suspect you are right that they do not do enough anymore to do that (and this problem extends beyond UA). But it's also true that longhaul business class seats that people pay a lot of money for are extremely valuable things, and airlines have decided to be super-careful about comping them to secure loyalty. And in general, businesses are very loath to comp things that can be sold for a bundle, even where there's a brand loyalty benefit.
I don't expect UA to comp me anything, but a little flexibility would be nice in return for the 20 years I've logged as a UA customer. And I guess it's because UA is selling those J seats, and doesn't have to give them away.

Back before I was a 1K, when I planned personal travel, I was almost always able to secure J seats for our vacation travels by being flexible and planning ahead. How that I have reverted back to my old status (Gold), I find no matter how flexible and creative I am, the J availability either isn't there or ridiculously expensive, compared to before the merger. So what am I doing? Despite my loyalty to UA, I'm increasingly finding that I'm flying on other airlines. Which is sad, because my preference is default to UA in return for all the great experiences and people I've met on UA metal, but I have to be realistic.

Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
@fellow Last, IMHO I suspect that there is an ongoing experiment to see how much can be shaved or reduced before travelers with discretion will book another airline (especially if you have a corporate contract with UA then it is going to take a lot to get the ordinary staff who have to comply with travel policy to switch to another airline). I welcome others' thoughts/experiences (as if I had to invite FT'ers to weigh in!).
One of my friends is still 1K, and he is disgusted with how far the soft product has fallen. That said, I doubt he will switch until 2020, because he probably loses 1K next year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.