Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Adding 1600 Premium Seats -- 763, A319/A320, CRJ550(CRJ700)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Adds More Than 1,600 New Premium Seats to International, Domestic and Regional Aircraft; More Comfort for More Customers in the Skies
United to add 50 percent more premium cabin seats to more than 100 aircraft
United to introduce best-in-the-sky 50-seat flying experience with innovative new aircraft
CHICAGO, Feb. 6, 2019

United Airlines today announced the next step in its commitment to making more customers more comfortable by adding more than 1,600 United Polaris® business class and United First seats to nearly 250 international and domestic aircraft. Additionally, United will revolutionize the regional flying experience by introducing the two-cabin, 50-seat Bombardier CRJ 550 aircraft to its fleet, offering customers on key regional routes more legroom, storage and amenities than any other 50-seat regional aircraft operating today.

Click here to view an infographic on United's newly reconfigured aircraft

"In an era where many airlines are adding seats to their aircraft to crowd more passengers onto the plane, we're re-configuring more than 100 of our aircraft and doing exactly the opposite – for the benefit of our customers," said Andrew Nocella, United's executive vice president and chief commercial officer. "From adding more premium seats on aircraft that serve some of our most traveled routes, introducing a revolutionary, best-in-class 50-seat experience or simply offering free DIRECTV on more than 200 aircraft, we are committed to making United the airline that our customers choose to fly."

More United Polaris business seats on Boeing 767-300ER aircraft
In the next several weeks, United will introduce to its fleet the first of 21 reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft featuring 16 additional United Polaris business seats in the premium cabin – a more than 50 percent increase in all-aisle-access seating – bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The newly reconfigured aircraft will also feature 22 United® Premium Plus seats (becoming the first 767-300ER to offer this seat type); 47 Economy Plus® seats and 52 Economy seats. United will first operate the reconfigured 767 – which will feature the highest proportion of premium seats on any widebody operated by any U.S. carrier – between Newark/New York and London, offering 50 percent more premium seats in the largest premium route in the world. The airline expects to introduce all the reconfigured aircraft to its fleet by the end of next year.

More United First seats on Airbus A319 and A320 aircraft
United is also adding more United First® seats to its fleet of Airbus aircraft, offering customers greater opportunities to upgrade and enjoy a premium flying experience. Beginning this fall, the carrier will add four United First seats on its fleet of Airbus A319s, increasing the total count from eight to 12. The reconfigured aircraft will also feature 36 Economy Plus and 78 Economy seats.

Beginning early next year, United will add four United First seats on its fleet of nearly 100 Airbus A320 aircraft, increasing the total count from 12 to 16. The reconfigured aircraft will also feature 39 Economy Plus seats and 95 Economy seats. United expects to complete the reconfiguration of the Airbus A320 and A319s by the middle of next year.

Introducing the first-of-its-kind Bombardier CRJ 550
By the end of this year, United will revolutionize the regional flying experience with the planned introduction of 50 spacious, 50-seat Bombardier CRJ 550 aircraft to its regional fleet, subject to government certification. In addition to becoming the only 50-seat aircraft in the world to offer true first-class seating, the innovative new aircraft will provide customers with a truly exceptional flying experience, including a state-of-the-art interior featuring LED lighting, a self-serve beverage and snack station for customers seated in the premium cabin, Wi-Fi and more overall legroom per seat than any other 50-seat aircraft flown by any U.S. carrier. Additionally, the CRJ 550 will feature four storage closets, providing customers ample room to store their carryon bags and making the CRJ 550 the only regional jet in the skies where customers will not need to routinely gate check their bags.

The two-cabin CRJ 550 will feature 10 United First seats; 20 Economy Plus seats and 20 Economy seats. The CRJ 550 aircraft will eventually replace existing single-cabin 50-seat aircraft and will bring a higher percentage of two-cabin departures to smaller cities across the carrier's network. Additionally, the innovative aircraft will enable United to offer premium seats on more connecting flights from smaller cities to the airline's overall global network, further strengthening its competitive position and emphasizing its role as an industry innovator.

United expects that its regional partner GoJet will begin operating the CRJ 550 in the second half of this year – subject to agreement on final terms and conditions – on select routes from Chicago, O'Hare followed by Newark/New York, offering customers connecting through the hub the opportunity to enjoy a premium cabin experience at every step of their journey.

Every customer. Every flight. Every day.
In 2019, United is focusing more than ever on its commitment to its customers, looking at every aspect of its business to ensure that the carrier keeps customers' best interests at the heart of its service. In addition to today's announcement, United recently released a re-imagined version of the most downloaded app in the airline industry and made DIRECTV free for every passenger on 211 aircraft, offering more than 100 channels on seat back monitors on more than 30,000 seats. The multimillion-dollar investment in improving inflight entertainment options will benefit the more than 29 million people expected to fly United's DIRECTV-enabled planes this year.

Print Wikipost

United Adding 1600 Premium Seats -- 763, A319/A320, CRJ550(CRJ700)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Devil’s Chariot the CRJ200

When Air Wisconsin tosses up and out of these awful beasts, I’ll have truly seen the revolution having been accomplished. I fly ORD-FAR for nearly $1000 RT each time and it’s a toss up between the 200 and the 145. The 145 is vastly superior thanks to row 18.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by EWR764
The 319s Y/C dividers have cutouts to allow storage in front of the wall, and (IMO) allow plenty of legroom. They are my go-to seats on the Bus.
Illustrated in this YouTube video:

The cutout is about 4 inches too low, in my opinion, to allow full extension of one's legs if you're over six feet tall. But it is better than a solid to-the-floor bulkhead.

Usually, there will be bulkheads with no cutout when the space in front of the seats is occupied by a cabin monument (closet, lav, galley, lieflat seat unit) or has a floor-level exit immediately forward.
I've been on many narrow bodies where there are full to-the-floor bulkheads between F and Y without any cabin monument or exit, but it's possible they're all on AA.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
The 319s Y/C dividers have cutouts to allow storage in front of the wall, and (IMO) allow plenty of legroom. They are my go-to seats on the Bus.

Usually, there will be bulkheads with no cutout when the space in front of the seats is occupied by a cabin monument (closet, lav, galley, lieflat seat unit) or has a floor-level exit immediately forward.
Unfortunately it seems that most carriers are going to the "mud-flap" dividers, which don't even extend halfway down. The pmCO 735's went to a soft-side divider between F/Y when they reconfigured from 10F to 8F. While they weren't as good as having a hard/fixed divider, they at least were better than the MAX9 dividers which basically are useless and don't separate F/Y.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

I've been on many narrow bodies where there are full to-the-floor bulkheads between F and Y without any cabin monument or exit, but it's possible they're all on AA.
The 737s on United have full bulkheads (or now a lav on the 739).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Illustrated in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBORSoprj0o

The cutout is about 4 inches too low, in my opinion, to allow full extension of one's legs if you're over six feet tall. But it is better than a solid to-the-floor bulkhead.

Right, I should have clarified that I am referring to UA airplanes. The 737 bulkheads are even lower.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Unfortunately it seems that most carriers are going to the "mud-flap" dividers, which don't even extend halfway down. The pmCO 735's went to a soft-side divider between F/Y when they reconfigured from 10F to 8F. While they weren't as good as having a hard/fixed divider, they at least were better than the MAX9 dividers which basically are useless and don't separate F/Y.
Agreed. Aesthetically, I prefer the hard dividers, but don't mind being able to stretch my legs a bit more if I'm in the bulkhead.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Be careful what you with for @:-)

UA dropped nonstop from my hometown airport YYJ to SFO. 20 years plus, for many years twice daily, for a little while even a CR7 (never had the pleasure on this route), then to once a day, and dropped completely last month Sure, AC puddlejumper to YVR, where there are lounges is nice, but sometimes that nonstop to SFO was good to have as an option even on CRJ
Not much to worry about here in RIC. UA only has flights to hubs so that we can connect to where we want to go. It's only IAD, EWR, and ORD. They added IAH a few years ago and then DEN. There was a time when UA will show RIC-IAH-XXX-LAX so that we can fly across the country in RJs!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA MM
I haven't read every post so my apologies if already commented.
My understanding is the conversion of CRJ700s to CRJ550s is because of the imminent influx of more E175s coupled with the agreement to only have so many RJs with greater than 50 seat capacity. Rather than eliminate CRJ700s to make room, they are being "downgraded" to 50 seat capacity to stay under the overall cap. The passenger wins.
gcashin likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I haven't read every post so my apologies if already commented.
My understanding is the conversion of CRJ700s to CRJ550s is because of the imminent influx of more E175s coupled with the agreement to only have so many RJs with greater than 50 seat capacity. Rather than eliminate CRJ700s to make room, they are being "downgraded" to 50 seat capacity to stay under the overall cap. The passenger wins.
You know, the passenger "winning" feeling going around might be a little premature. The quoted post made me think about less pax per flight vs. operational costs & the need to make a profit on these flights. Is the average fare going to go up on CR550's because there are less passengers to spread the costs across? Just a thought...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
You know, the passenger "winning" feeling going around might be a little premature. The quoted post made me think about less pax per flight vs. operational costs & the need to make a profit on these flights. Is the average fare going to go up on CR550's because there are less passengers to spread the costs across? Just a thought...
My guess is since, supposedly, the total number of RJs of greater than 50 passengers is remaining the same (with the new E175s coming on board), the CRJ550s will functionally replace the CRJ200s. If that's true then I think it's a win.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Has any FT sage fact checked UA's claim that there are actually 1,600 new front cabin seats coming out of this transformation? I mean that for this claim to be valid, there would need to be 1,600 seats on top of the front cabin seats already configured in the 763, 319/320, and CR7 aircraft that are going to be re-configured.

So is the 1,600 a net gain, or just the total front cabin seating that will emerge from this refit?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Is there some explanation you want to doubt this publicly yet are unwilling to undertake 3rd grade math?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Is there some explanation you want to doubt this publicly yet are unwilling to undertake 3rd grade math?
Well, it's been a while since I've been in 3rd grade, so my math skills from the year 1970 are a bit rusty.

I don't happen to have a spreadsheet of the UA fleet at hand, but I'll bet some FTers do, and it would thus take them a lot less time than me to figure out whether the 1,600 new front cabin seats are a net or gross number.

Btw, I don't doubt the publicity, but it just occurred to me today that the 1,600 number could be interpreted either way - and that is a sign of great copy writing skills in UA's publicity machine.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by transportprof
Has any FT sage fact checked UA's claim that there are actually 1,600 new front cabin seats coming out of this transformation? I mean that for this claim to be valid, there would need to be 1,600 seats on top of the front cabin seats already configured in the 763, 319/320, and CR7 aircraft that are going to be re-configured.

So is the 1,600 a net gain, or just the total front cabin seating that will emerge from this refit?
just to make it easy, let's do some ballpark calculation.

50 CRJ550: 50*10 = 500 extra first class seats
say UA has about 170 319/320: 170* 4 = 680 extra first class seats
say UA has 20 76L planned: 20 * 18 new polaris seats = 360 extra polaris seats.

that is where 1600 premium seats come from, if you don't count the additional Premium Plus seat that these 76L will also have.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Net gain of 1600 seats, taking into account 170 319/320s, expected 319 deliveries, 76L mods and expected 50 conversions of CR7 to CR5.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I don't have the exact figures like some on this forum, but directionally:

The cost of operating the 550 will be a more than that of the -200, but not a lot more, especially with fewer seats than the -700.
The average price of seats on the 550 will be more than on the -200, so so the gross revenue on the 550 should be higher than on the -200.
So if considering a 50-seat market, United is no worse off than before, and customers have more opportunity for premius seats. Unless booking last minute, prices may not change significantly for coach. I've seen very high coach prices for some CRJ-200 routes, especially where there is no competition (like DEN-IDA).

The downside here is that I don't think there are any plans for the new 550s in the DEN market. I am happy to see the increased number of first-class seats on the Airbus, however!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.