Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Adding 1600 Premium Seats -- 763, A319/A320, CRJ550(CRJ700)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Adds More Than 1,600 New Premium Seats to International, Domestic and Regional Aircraft; More Comfort for More Customers in the Skies
United to add 50 percent more premium cabin seats to more than 100 aircraft
United to introduce best-in-the-sky 50-seat flying experience with innovative new aircraft
CHICAGO, Feb. 6, 2019

United Airlines today announced the next step in its commitment to making more customers more comfortable by adding more than 1,600 United Polaris® business class and United First seats to nearly 250 international and domestic aircraft. Additionally, United will revolutionize the regional flying experience by introducing the two-cabin, 50-seat Bombardier CRJ 550 aircraft to its fleet, offering customers on key regional routes more legroom, storage and amenities than any other 50-seat regional aircraft operating today.

Click here to view an infographic on United's newly reconfigured aircraft

"In an era where many airlines are adding seats to their aircraft to crowd more passengers onto the plane, we're re-configuring more than 100 of our aircraft and doing exactly the opposite – for the benefit of our customers," said Andrew Nocella, United's executive vice president and chief commercial officer. "From adding more premium seats on aircraft that serve some of our most traveled routes, introducing a revolutionary, best-in-class 50-seat experience or simply offering free DIRECTV on more than 200 aircraft, we are committed to making United the airline that our customers choose to fly."

More United Polaris business seats on Boeing 767-300ER aircraft
In the next several weeks, United will introduce to its fleet the first of 21 reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft featuring 16 additional United Polaris business seats in the premium cabin – a more than 50 percent increase in all-aisle-access seating – bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The newly reconfigured aircraft will also feature 22 United® Premium Plus seats (becoming the first 767-300ER to offer this seat type); 47 Economy Plus® seats and 52 Economy seats. United will first operate the reconfigured 767 – which will feature the highest proportion of premium seats on any widebody operated by any U.S. carrier – between Newark/New York and London, offering 50 percent more premium seats in the largest premium route in the world. The airline expects to introduce all the reconfigured aircraft to its fleet by the end of next year.

More United First seats on Airbus A319 and A320 aircraft
United is also adding more United First® seats to its fleet of Airbus aircraft, offering customers greater opportunities to upgrade and enjoy a premium flying experience. Beginning this fall, the carrier will add four United First seats on its fleet of Airbus A319s, increasing the total count from eight to 12. The reconfigured aircraft will also feature 36 Economy Plus and 78 Economy seats.

Beginning early next year, United will add four United First seats on its fleet of nearly 100 Airbus A320 aircraft, increasing the total count from 12 to 16. The reconfigured aircraft will also feature 39 Economy Plus seats and 95 Economy seats. United expects to complete the reconfiguration of the Airbus A320 and A319s by the middle of next year.

Introducing the first-of-its-kind Bombardier CRJ 550
By the end of this year, United will revolutionize the regional flying experience with the planned introduction of 50 spacious, 50-seat Bombardier CRJ 550 aircraft to its regional fleet, subject to government certification. In addition to becoming the only 50-seat aircraft in the world to offer true first-class seating, the innovative new aircraft will provide customers with a truly exceptional flying experience, including a state-of-the-art interior featuring LED lighting, a self-serve beverage and snack station for customers seated in the premium cabin, Wi-Fi and more overall legroom per seat than any other 50-seat aircraft flown by any U.S. carrier. Additionally, the CRJ 550 will feature four storage closets, providing customers ample room to store their carryon bags and making the CRJ 550 the only regional jet in the skies where customers will not need to routinely gate check their bags.

The two-cabin CRJ 550 will feature 10 United First seats; 20 Economy Plus seats and 20 Economy seats. The CRJ 550 aircraft will eventually replace existing single-cabin 50-seat aircraft and will bring a higher percentage of two-cabin departures to smaller cities across the carrier's network. Additionally, the innovative aircraft will enable United to offer premium seats on more connecting flights from smaller cities to the airline's overall global network, further strengthening its competitive position and emphasizing its role as an industry innovator.

United expects that its regional partner GoJet will begin operating the CRJ 550 in the second half of this year – subject to agreement on final terms and conditions – on select routes from Chicago, O'Hare followed by Newark/New York, offering customers connecting through the hub the opportunity to enjoy a premium cabin experience at every step of their journey.

Every customer. Every flight. Every day.
In 2019, United is focusing more than ever on its commitment to its customers, looking at every aspect of its business to ensure that the carrier keeps customers' best interests at the heart of its service. In addition to today's announcement, United recently released a re-imagined version of the most downloaded app in the airline industry and made DIRECTV free for every passenger on 211 aircraft, offering more than 100 channels on seat back monitors on more than 30,000 seats. The multimillion-dollar investment in improving inflight entertainment options will benefit the more than 29 million people expected to fly United's DIRECTV-enabled planes this year.

Print Wikipost

United Adding 1600 Premium Seats -- 763, A319/A320, CRJ550(CRJ700)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It looks like the DEF side is getting pushed back, cutting into Y even more than the ABC side is. Unless UA magically finds some unused space, I don't see how this will be done with only removing one side of 1 row of Y+ and 1 single Y- seat. Something has to give here. Also, what is going into the extra space in front of 1DEF?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by ncorman
Highlights:
  • All United Airbus A320 planes will go from 12 first class seats to 16.
  • All United Airbus A319 planes will have four additional first class seats, bringing the number to 12 in each plane.
  • On 21 of United's 767-300ER planes, the airline is expanding the number of Polaris business class seats from 30 to 46, while also adding 22 premium economy seats.
  • United is adding 50 Bombardier CRJ 550 planes to its fleet, each with 10 first class seats.
The CRJ 550 are CRJ-700 configured with 10 First, 20 Economy Plus, and 20 Coach.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/06/unit...ssengers-.html
I knew Kirby was desperate to find ways to avoid a 100 seaters but this has to be a joke?
Originally Posted by steveman518
I'm guessing it'll be 1-2 for 3 rows and a single for the 4th row. I would then assume that the rows are either staggered or the galley will be done so that there is a 1A but no 1CD

ETA: Regarding the 550, AC previously did the same thing with some of their CRJ-900s and added F to them to get them to 75 seats so they would fit the scope clause for Air Canada Express flights and called it the CRJ-705. It looks like the 550 may also be a scope clause thing as well?
It is a way to get around scope, not add a 100 seater but be able to add F and Y+ into markets that Delta has been able to add F in with the draw down of its 50 seat fleet.

the problem with this is that their is absolutely no way this is economical with high fuel. I question the viability of it now but if oil gets up above 80-90 per these airplanes will be a dumpster fire.
Originally Posted by uanj
This is really good news! I am amazed and truly relieved that the days of blindly following DL are over. Finally UA is back to finding its own direction forward. Remember, this is the airline that pioneered economy plus and FC in regional jets among other things. And then Smisek and the merger happened....
I mean they kind of are. Delta has 16F seats and 12F seats on their 320/319s
and as I said above the 550 is an answer to Delta's ability to put F is smaller markets because United (and American) are still very reliant on 70-76 seaters on core routes, where Delta is using the 70-76 seater to replace 50 seaters as 717 and 220s move into more core routes that see (or saw) 76 seaters.

Its an out of the box idea, but I highly question if this will make any money.

plus its a clear work around on scope which should make the pilots thrilled right as they open up negations on a new contract.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
If it meets FAA specs, would almost guarantee that it will be single FA. Did you see the note on the "Self-serve beverage and snack station for United First"?

Are those things in the middle closets or storage lockers or something? Haven't seen that type of set up before....Almost like a car rental shuttle bus...
It almost has to be to make the airplane anything close to being cost effective. I just question if the FAA will be cool with they idea on such a big jet. Plus from a soft product point people in F will be paying to be their own FA.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:22 am

Well they know how to get PR right now - blitz this right as the Polaris meals get cut.

I guess the downside is if self serve goes well on the CRJ does it go elsewhere. I take it that means no booze either?

Creativity points for the CRJ - who knows how long it will last - and many will like the explicit focus on upgrades. Coming right out and saying A319 upgrade rates are half 737 rates.

Sounds like if you liked Northwest back in the day you’ll like UA (who remembers the Avro RJs).

Also further explains the higher 1K PQD requirement.

EmailKid likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Configuration for the A319/A320 when reconfigured will be :

12/36/78 A319
16/39/95 A320

First route for the High J 763 will be EWR-LHR
For the A319 there's a drop of 6 E+ seats
For the A320 there's a drop of 3 E+ seats
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Now that's an elite-friendly config, with 10F and 20E+
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER

4A will be even more sought-after now. With no one across from you it may be the most private non-Polaris seat in the fleet.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
4A will be even more sought-after now. With no one across from you it may be the most private non-Polaris seat in the fleet.
Also first to get your bags.

I realized I missed a big change here - looking at the diagram looks like they managed to fit it all in the CRJ by eliminating the rear lav
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Also first to get your bags.

I realized I missed a big change here - looking at the diagram looks like they managed to fit it all in the CRJ by eliminating the rear lav
And by having 5B essentially block access to the entire rest of the aircraft.

(These drawings are obviously quick approximations, not true layouts.)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Sounds like a change I will like. Maybe I will have to change my "7AF unless next to lav otherwise 21AF" strategy when choosing seats

but, "Self-serve beverage and snack station for United First"?

So the Y passengers get served their drinks and snacks and the F passengers have to get up and get them on their own? What about those short flights where the seat belt sign never gets turned off?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Creativity points for the CRJ - who knows how long it will last - and many will like the explicit focus on upgrades. Coming right out and saying A319 upgrade rates are half 737 rates.
I noticed that too! Did Scott Kirby get locked in a cargo hold or something?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how many rollerboards the stowage spaces on the CRJ550 can take... I guess the new FAA/Transport Canada certification is more for the new CRJ700 cabin layout?

On the A320, I wonder if the exit row spaces will be decreased (I don't see how but I wonder if they will find a way).

Here is the USA Today article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...et/2785146002/
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
UA seems to be heading towards having a just good enough Premium offering, which they will flog to death. This is the tactic BA has used very successfully over the past decade. Lots of premium seats, an acceptable but no more product, and extract a premium on business heavy O&D whilst pricing low elsewhere and with inconvenient itineraries. It makes a lot of sense and also should allow savvy customers to play the game.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Nocella talked about adding more seats to allow for more upgrades. It's like the announcement was ripped right out of one of the Flyertalk United Forum April Fools Posts. This is the most positive news I have heard from United in a long time! ^
am1108 and tstauck like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by username
I wonder how many rollerboards the stowage spaces on the CRJ550 can take... I guess the new FAA/Transport Canada certification is more for the new CRJ700 cabin layout?

On the A320, I wonder if the exit row spaces will be decreased (I don't see how but I wonder if they will find a way).

Here is the USA Today article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...et/2785146002/
The new seat design on the A319/320 is optimized for 37" pitch, and you'll notice there is a lot of space between the bulkhead and the last row of F on those airplanes. Removing one row of E+ and possibly the hard bulkhead (in favor of the 737MAX-style half wall) will result in no loss of pitch in the F cabin. It also appears the A320 is getting a closet back, after those were removed a few years ago.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Changes we actually like... when are the accompanying "enhancements" coming?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.