Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expedia Files Lawsuit Against United on UA exit (settled)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club

Expedia has filed a lawsuit against United. Unfortunately, the lawsuit is sealed so we don't know the details.

https://skift.com/2019/02/04/expedia...tract-dispute/

I'm assuming it has to be an issue over booking fees? I'm guessing this will get resolved and we'll never really know.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:13 am

It would appear that they are getting a divorce​​​​​​​

https://simpleflying.com/united-airl...utm_source=pop

Last edited by flyme2; Feb 25, 2019 at 3:58 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I guess this would also have implications on buying UA tickets with UR points since Chase switched TAs.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I guess this would also have implications on buying UA tickets with UR points since Chase switched TAs.
Oh wow didn't think of that as I normally transfer points. I feel this issue will be resolved before the September date in question.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
It's already been an awful mess. Checkout the Chase threads on this. Only a fraction of flights at the appropriate fares were even available.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I believe this has played out the way it has because UA is upset at Chase for cannibalizing UA credit cardholders through the Sapphire cards. I think most UR air travel is via UA (either through points transfer or purchases).

Originally Posted by BThumme
It's already been an awful mess. Checkout the Chase threads on this. Only a fraction of flights at the appropriate fares were even available.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I believe this has played out the way it has because UA is upset at Chase for cannibalizing UA credit cardholders through the Sapphire cards. I think most UR air travel is via UA (either through points transfer or purchases).
What would Expedia have to do with a UA/Chase disagreement? Chase might use Expedia for UR portal bookings but I highly doubt those amount to much compared to all of Expedia as a whole. And UA could always threaten to withdraw as a UR partner and/or refuse to allow Chase to issue more MileagePlus CCs.

As far as UA being upset at their customers being cannibalized, that's their own fault, if they are in control of what spending counts in which bonus categories. I don't even book UA tickets with my MPE card because I get more miles per dollar booking with the CSR. Of course if they offered 4 miles/$ on all travel and dining on the MPE, I'd put the CSR away and almost never use it.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
UA threatens to stop selling on Expedia

This probably doesn't affect many people on this forum, but UA seems to be taking a page from AA's book and threatening to stop selling on Expedia:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...xpedia-divorce
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
This probably doesn't affect many people on this forum
The Chase travel portal uses Expedia.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by jsloan
The Chase travel portal uses Expedia.
Really? I did not know that.

Well, then maybe it affects more people than I realized. Thanks for clarifying that! TIL.

(Actually, now that you mention it, I believe Amex Travel also does...)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
And it's a pain in the butt, have had several issues since they switched..
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think most UR air travel is via UA (either through points transfer or purchases).
I doubt that's true, considering you can use them for pretty much any airline or hotel, or transfer them for even better value in some cases.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
While Chase may be one of UA's problems, I don't think Chase is the issue in this matter.

The document related preliminary injunction gave some ideas. In a nutshell, it seems that UA wanted to cut off Expedia's access to certain fares. My guess is UA wants to monetize the BE even more by cutting off access. So that travelers will have to buy BE fares directly through UA.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
It appears the Expedia lawsuit was thrown out by the judge.

https://skift.com/2019/04/05/united-...te-over-fares/

United had already backed off removing fares for flights departing after 9/30 but still plans to remivr fares from 9/30. This was reaffirmed in the Q1 earnings call by Nocella and Kirby. Whether Expedia and Chase are linked I’m not so sure. They’re being very quiet on negotiations with Chase, and treated the two issues as separate on the call.

https://skift.com/2019/04/17/united-...-morgan-chase/
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:30 am

How does this affect egencia which is Expedia corporate travel booming site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.