Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expedia Files Lawsuit Against United on UA exit (settled)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia Files Lawsuit Against United on UA exit (settled)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
How does this affect egencia which is Expedia corporate travel booming site?
as far as I understand, Egencia isn’t part of this and is a separate contract, and UA fares will remain available there, but not on non-business Expedia portals (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.).

Doesnt sound good for either party. This will be a mess for anyone booking on Expedia for Oct. and beyond. And while UA may think they can get away with delisting their fares from Expedia and just selling them on their own site, it’s just marketing exec spin and they will lose a lot from that. In the bubble of FT, sure they can, but there are many folks, who travel less then most of us on here and just use Expedia, etc. to get fare comparisons and buy there, and won’t go to United.com (or delta.com, or wherever). The only airline that can make this work is Southwest, who is perceived as ‘low fare’ (even though they haven’t been been low fare in probably 10-15 years).

Maybe UA is hoping they can replace some of these lower fare Expedia buyer with the same fares or higher through UA.com, but I doubt all of them. While UA may think they can convince everyone to book through UA.com, the business just doesn’t work that way, and just like they need a mix of low/mid/high fare buyers to fill their planes, they also need a mix of those booking directly and through agency. If they fail to renew the contract, it will hurt UA (more than it will hurt Expedia), and it may take some time to figure that out, I suppose. AA seemed to figure this out a few years ago the hard way, and if they don’t strike some sort of compromise, it appears UA will learn this lesson the same way.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
It appears the Expedia lawsuit was thrown out by the judge.
No, just the preliminary injunction.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
While Chase may be one of UA's problems, I don't think Chase is the issue in this matter.

The document related preliminary injunction gave some ideas. In a nutshell, it seems that UA wanted to cut off Expedia's access to certain fares. My guess is UA wants to monetize the BE even more by cutting off access. So that travelers will have to buy BE fares directly through UA.
I thought that the whole point of BE was to offer a fake low fare on sites like expedia so you show up as the lowest fare, and then up-charge people when they realize that it's a terrible deal. Not showing the fare there seems to defeat the purpose?
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
We don't know enough details to say why UA did it

Maybe......
The vast majority of people using Expedia were SFO based or other UA hubs and knowing that they would get much crappier routings from other programs delisting made sense as most would know it is a UA hub and buy direct from UA.com.

Could be.....
something else

we just don't know and there is no way to speculate on UA's motives
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
we just don't know and there is no way to speculate on UA's motives
Disagree. There is plenty of way to speculate.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Y'all are just speculating. The reason could be anything, though predictions are ^ , so best to hold off until some legitimate news pops up.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Doesnt sound good for either party. This will be a mess for anyone booking on Expedia for Oct. and beyond. And while UA may think they can get away with delisting their fares from Expedia and just selling them on their own site, it’s just marketing exec spin and they will lose a lot from that. In the bubble of FT, sure they can, but there are many folks, who travel less then most of us on here and just use Expedia, etc. to get fare comparisons and buy there, and won’t go to United.com (or delta.com, or wherever).

Maybe UA is hoping they can replace some of these lower fare Expedia buyer with the same fares or higher through UA.com, but I doubt all of them. While UA may think they can convince everyone to book through UA.com, the business just doesn’t work that way, and just like they need a mix of low/mid/high fare buyers to fill their planes, they also need a mix of those booking directly and through agency. If they fail to renew the contract, it will hurt UA (more than it will hurt Expedia), and it may take some time to figure that out, I suppose. AA seemed to figure this out a few years ago the hard way, and if they don’t strike some sort of compromise, it appears UA will learn this lesson the same way.
Yeah, I thought the consensus was that AA's move failed. Why UA would be any different, I don't know.

Expedia does not cater to frequent business flyers but rather to leisure travelers who want to go to one site and find the cheapest fare easily. Many of these people are not going to check UA separately, and I bet many won't even notice the UA flights aren't on the Expedia site at all. UA's going to lose money, clearly.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
The only airline that can make this work is Southwest, who is perceived as ‘low fare’ (even though they haven’t been been low fare in probably 10-15 years).
Haha - so true. I don't really fly domestically, but when I've compared Southwest flights to MEX to other airlines, they're frequently more expensive than DL, B6, AM... No thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Expedia does not cater to frequent business flyers but rather to leisure travelers who want to go to one site and find the cheapest fare easily. Many of these people are not going to check UA separately, and I bet many won't even notice the UA flights aren't on the Expedia site at all. UA's going to lose money, clearly.
By your logic WN should be losing money -- they cater to leisure travelers and don't list fares on OTAs. But they're not.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I have a very credible source that stated most UR points are for UA redemptions. I agree I'd rather cash in my UR war chest for SQ redemptions on KF, but if you poll most Chase cardholders, they wouldn't even be aware that is possible.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I doubt that's true, considering you can use them for pretty much any airline or hotel, or transfer them for even better value in some cases.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:42 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I have a very credible source that stated most UR points are for UA redemptions. I agree I'd rather cash in my UR war chest for SQ redemptions on KF, but if you poll most Chase cardholders, they wouldn't even be aware that is possible.
Is that to say UR points are transferred to MileagePlus or most UR are redeemed for revenue travel on UA via the UR travel portal?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Because people know to book directly from WN. And, as emcampbe already pointed out, many of those buyers choose WN because they perceive it as a "low-cost" airline, which is arguably an out-of-date perception.

WN has a very different business model with a different customer base, which has been trained to book directly.

The people who would book from UA directly already do; the Expedia set is a very different customer base.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Both, which highlights why UA is chomping at the bit to renegotiate with Chase.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Is that to say UR points are transferred to MileagePlus or most UR are redeemed for revenue travel on UA via the UR travel portal?
To be fair, MEX is not a good market to compare - WN point of sale outside of the US is horrible given their go-to-market strategy. We've been trained to buy directly from the airline's website in the US but many Int'l markets still buy from travel agents. Agree that WN is not a LCC anymore.

Haha - so true. I don't really fly domestically, but when I've compared Southwest flights to MEX to other airlines, they're frequently more expensive than DL, B6, AM... No thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Well, not surprisingly an agreement was reached. The article is light on details and doesn't have any figures.

https://skift.com/2019/09/16/expedia...messy-divorce/
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
Well, not surprisingly an agreement was reached. The article is light on details and doesn't have any figures.

https://skift.com/2019/09/16/expedia...messy-divorce/
Don't know how, but I completely missed this news. Was about to post in this thread to see if there was an update, as I was thinking about booking a trip through the UR portal. Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Because people know to book directly from WN. And, as emcampbe already pointed out, many of those buyers choose WN because they perceive it as a "low-cost" airline, which is arguably an out-of-date perception.

WN has a very different business model with a different customer base, which has been trained to book directly.

The people who would book from UA directly already do; the Expedia set is a very different customer base.
Of the frequent leisure travelers that I know, most book through Google flights which doesn't list WN. They view WN as a "high priced LCC" and not worth checking price/availability.

I think WN wins by saying "we wont play that game" when it comes to search engine fare transparency, and that's probably true. Just not sure UA wouldn't be in the same boat by pulling off Expedia specifically. Sure maybe a couple deep discount tickets slip, but more seats are open for thier target market <2 week advance purchase business travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.