Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS - premium companion upgrade, now I need to switch flights...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.

For a United operated trans-pacific flight where I am booked in full fare business, I called the GS line about a month ago to have a companion (booked with points) upgraded to business. Since J>2 after the upgrade, it went through no problem. Now, I need to fly to the same destination 3 days earlier, but my companion still needs to fly on the original date. How does this work with the companion upgrade? Do I just not mention it when I switch my flight and hope they don't notice? Will they catch it and refund the GPU? I know that the upgrade is a manual process, so I have no idea what happens when I switch flights...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would just not mention it when you change your flight and I would expect your companion to be okay. As long as it's a legitimate change for you and you don't make a pattern of it, everything should be ok.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I have no knowledge of GS upgrades, but I though I read that GS can apply GPU to award ticket for upgrade, and it doesn't have to be a companion on same flight.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this is based on companion status, it should "stick" so long as there are no changes to the friend's routing. While this is easy enough to control if the changes are voluntary, it also applies to involuntary reroutes. UA's IT architecture does not go hunting to downgrade people, but it also won't rebook if the situation arises.

If this is a GPU not dependent on your flying, then it should not matter in the least.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
I have no knowledge of GS upgrades, but I though I read that GS can apply GPU to award ticket for upgrade, and it doesn't have to be a companion on same flight.
My understanding this wasn't a GPU applied. It is a perk where if GS pays full biz and J>2 he can get a companion an immediate upgrade IF on the same itinerary. But yes it is my understanding that if a GS gifts an instrument (GPU/RPU/MILES) It clears into PN space no matter who it goes to. I am new to this as well so if this is incorrect please let me know.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
My understanding this wasn't a GPU applied. It is a perk where if GS pays full biz and J>2 he can get a companion an immediate upgrade IF on the same itinerary. But yes it is my understanding that if a GS gifts an instrument (GPU/RPU/MILES) It clears into PN space no matter who it goes to. I am new to this as well so if this is incorrect please let me know.
You still need to use an instrument. The difference is that UA will open PN space.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
You still need to use an instrument. The difference is that UA will open PN space.
OK great thank you.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Technically the companion will no longer qualify for the guaranteed upgrade, but based on personal experience with precisely the same scenario I believe that your companion will be fine.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
Some clarification...

Companion was booked using my points for an economy saver + my GPU. The GPU waitlisted, but since I was in paid business on the same flight, I called and asked them to push through the GPU as a companion... which is a manual process.

Thanks for all the feedback, we are still a month out, so I'll try to remember to come back and report what happened.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
100% agree that if this is a one-off situation in which you have changed your itinerary to the same segment, but on an earlier day due to unexpected circumstances, there is absolutely no problem. This couldn't be more different from a scenario where you are booking itineraries without intending to fly them for the sole purpose of obtaining companion benefits and then canceling them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.