Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Trying to book Air Canada flights on United-not working

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond

Hello,

I have been out of the game for a while...

Trying to book tickets from ORD (or YYZ to Grenada (GND). Air Canada has directs flights ex YYZ

I want to book these on United.com either using my United miles or even purchasing them so I get PQD/PQM credit...but it shows no flights available...even though they are Star Alliance.

What am I doing wrong?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
I believe only those routes covered by the limited joint venture between AC and UA will book for purchase via United.com. As for why awards don’t show, I can’t say. I do see the AC direct and they don’t show for me either on an award search.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy

I want to book these on United.com either using my United miles or even purchasing them so I get PQD/PQM credit...but it shows no flights available...even though they are Star Alliance.

What am I doing wrong?
United will not offer all possible *A flights on United.com for cash purchase. There are many different reasons for this -- sometimes the partner will not allow it (called plating restrictions), in some cases if it is a competitive flight for the same route UA may prefer you purchase the UA flight, .... and other reasons. If UA offers the flight as a codeshare or there is a Joint Venture agreement, it increases the chances it will be offered. Other times the search engine (with many known limitations) fails to find the flight. The simple truth is UA.com is not a general purpose booking tool and there are better alternatives. Somethings looking on Google Flights you can find the desired flight easier and then if it shows as a codeshare, Google may be able to send you to UA.com to book it.

As for awards, if there is no saver space (not uncommon) then the flight will not show.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You'll have to call to book this, but it should be no problem as long as ORD-YYZ is on a UA-code and preferably on a UA-operated flight. May not the most cost effective thing to do, but it certainly looks possible to me.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
weird I just bought an AC ticket today YEG-YHZ on the UA site, seemed to be working for me
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Maybe a different issue but I have given up my attempt today to fly ORD-YVR on United.
Quoted price was US$215, and after entering all my info and CC details I get an error - repeatedly.

If I go to the UA Canadian site the price (for the same flight) is C$420 (US$320). Not paying that if its available for US$215!

Anyhow AA is $150 for a direct flight so I'll forgo the lounge access I get from my *A status and save my employer the difference.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
Maybe a different issue but I have given up my attempt today to fly ORD-YVR on United.
Quoted price was US$215, and after entering all my info and CC details I get an error - repeatedly.

If I go to the UA Canadian site the price (for the same flight) is C$420 (US$320). Not paying that if its available for US$215!
Do you have a US-based credit card? UA selects the point of sale based upon the credit card's billing address; if you were using a Canadian card, United.com was going to charge you C$420.

A US-based OTA (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) will offer you the US POS price.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AC75 MM
Aha!
Thanks, should have realized that. Well, instead I booked on AA (C$207) rather than the C$433 United wanted for a Canadian address based card. Flight times are within 15 minutes of each other
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA isn’t a general travel agent and won’t book all revenue flights on even partner carriers. They should allow for a redemption on any *A flight, presuming there is saver availability (save for the airlines that aren’t working right now, of which AC is fine). If there is no ‘fixed mileage’ (equivalent to saver on UA) availability on the AC (really, Rouge) segment, then you won’t see anything come up on UAs site.

One thing to check is is if you are looking on the right days. YYZ-GND doesn’t appear to be a daily flight. Also poorly timed for connections. I can’t see the app allowing anything revenue on what I checked, but do see Awards on days where Aeroplan is showing fixed mielage availavility. Do note that there flight leaves fairly early from YYZ, depending on the day I see anywhere between 6:30 and 9:30am, so you’ll have to arrive the night before. The return arrives YYZ in mid-evening, between 7:30 and 9:00 pm depending on day so connecting onward same-day is limited to non-existent.

Also note this flight is operated by Rouge. So just know what you’re getting...not even regular AC standards.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:29 am

I'm traveling transborder for the first time since the start of the pandemic, and I was looking at booking ORD-YUL (paid economy tickets). At first, my initial travel dates were outbound 06DEC, return 12DEC. UA shows a couple of UAEx CRJs (they almost never fly anything larger than a 50-seater on this route, which is annoying, but I digress...) and an Air Canada Jazz 175. The return showed just a single CRJ on UA.

Later on I went to Air Canada and noticed that they actually have several flights on 175s and CRJ900s, as well as selling UA's CRJ flight. The return had a couple of Jazz 175s on top of the UA flight (and, in that case, regardless of my aircraft preference, Air Canada's flight was timed much better for my needs).

My outbound date wound up changing one day earlier, and again, UA is only showing their sole CRJ for the Sunday, whereas Air Canada has 2 or 3 extra flights of their own.

I would up booking direct with Air Canada because there's no way to get the flight times I prefer when booking through UA. As it has been a couple of years, I don't remember if it was always the case that UA showed a more limited selection of ORD-YUL flights, but given the extreme lack of frequencies at the moment (not to mention the fact that what's left is on CRJs; at least an EMB-145 would be moderately tolerable), it really makes it appear as if there isn't much availability in that market if you're just looking at UA.

Anyone know why UA would only codeshare some, but not all of the ORD-YUL frequencies, and none on Sunday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.