Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ERJ-145 acceptable decibel level?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
The app very well may be verified, but calibrated? I don’t trust too many apps absolute readings.
ajGoes, pa3lsvt and zspitzer like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Where were you sitting, and what phase of flight was the 115db reading? I agree that's very high, approaching pain threshold, but having spent more than my fair share of time on the JungleJet, I never found it to be remarkably noisy.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek
The app very well may be verified, but calibrated? I don’t trust too many apps absolute readings.
When you start the app up for the first time, there is a drop-down where you select the level of pocket lint caught in the microphone opening.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by raiachat
UA needs to do something about the noise.
What do you think UA is going to do - they did manufacture nor certify the plane.

Just don't fly that route with that plane or choose another airline if it bothers you that much.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM
It all depends on where you sit on an EMB145. Toward the front is much louder and I always wear hearing protection when up there.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Jet engines are loud. If you're sensitive to the noise, the Bose QC35 is a particularly effective solution.

Though I seriously question the high end reading on that iPhone.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by DEN
85db is what is called the "action level" regarding OSHA requirements for hearing protection in the workplace. Not sure how that requirement would impact or relate to passengers.
But does that requirement apply to flight crew?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It all depends on where you sit on an EMB145. Toward the front is much louder and I always wear hearing protection when up there.
I disagree... While my preferred seats on the 145 are 18A/D when I wind up in 1A it's almost frighteningly quiet as long as you aren't doing sonethiso like a rapid descent. Given the aft-miubted engines I'd expect that the further back the more engine noise you pick up.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
For the OP, I work in an industry which requires very expensive equipment with yearly certification. Plenty of apps out there, but aren't certified. If some app on iPhone even remotely matched what the multi thousand dollar equipment did, these vendors would be out of business. I trust some app about as much as I trust FB ensuring my privacy.
Kacee, ajGoes, pa3lsvt and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by raiachat
i trust that my ears felt like they were bleeding. The App is verified. UA needs to do something about the noise.
iPhone sound pressure level meters are notoriously unreliable. (They CAN work, but are only accurate when paired with a properly calibrated external microphone--the internal microphone is virtually useless for this purpose.) Aircraft cabin noise levels are evaluated on a fairly regular basis--there have been a fair number of studies by OSHA, and all of them have found noise levels to be well within accepted parameters. There is a good summary of some of the findings here: https://www.gao.gov/assets/690/688396.pdf

It doesn't look like any of the studies referenced relate directly to the ERJ-145, but all aircraft manufacturers measure cabin sound to ensure OSHA compliance, and it's also notable that OSHA and the FAA have received a grand total of 2 noise-related complaints in the last 5 years.

It's possible that there was a mechanical issue that increased the noise level, but it's more likely that your iPhone app was just inaccurate (and there are a number of reasons why a normal noise level would cause more discomfort than usual).
ajGoes, threeoh and findark like this.

Last edited by Sykes; Feb 4, 2019 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
Same. Although I recall on the last couple E145s in the exit row, I recall hearing a "sucking/whooshing" sound coming from the window during takeoff and final approach. Annoying, but certainly not uncomfortable.
i May be wrong but I believe that sound is the cabin pressurization system at work.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
That is definately an un-weighted spectrum. It’s loud, but not dangerously so.

Also phone apps are only suitable for measuring relative volume, not absolute volume.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DEN
85db is what is called the "action level" regarding OSHA requirements for hearing protection in the workplace. Not sure how that requirement would impact or relate to passengers.
OSHA's permissible levels are set for 8-hour exposure, day after day. I wouldn't want to spend 4 hours riding in the back of an E-145, to be sure.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
I flew on a longer RJ145 flight a little over a year ago that I found uncomfortably loud enough that I also took our my phone and checked the SPL level and snapped a screen shot. My phone showed around 91-92 dB pretty consistently. It may not be a precise measurement, but I found it uncomfortably loud and my phone agreed that it was loud. I was in seat 18A on an ExpressJet UAX flight.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
For kicks I downloaded the app and played with high db on both my new phone and wife’s old phone. I woke my kids with the highest level at 95.7, and the dogs as well. $20k system that will wake the neighborhood if I choose. At almost non existent low volume a simple breath into the phone raised the level to 106. So give me some certified true test data.
ExplorerWannabe and GFrye like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.