Community
Wiki Posts
Search

739 cos<->den

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
It's not about COS-DEN, its about COS-XYZ, and XYZ-COS. Just happy to see some progress. DEN is just a connection, but I'm happy we are on the radar again post 9/11.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Interesting to see that the original 11:36a COS->DEN departure has already been "down-gauged" from 739 to 319 - at least on 8 June (still holding as 739 on 14 June)...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:21 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I thought UA outsourced these shorter flights to partner airlines doing business as United Express. As far as I know, 739 would be crewed by UA, so I wonder what's happening to those UA express planes/crews/contracts.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
I thought UA outsourced these shorter flights to partner airlines doing business as United Express. As far as I know, 739 would be crewed by UA, so I wonder what's happening to those UA express planes/crews/contracts.
Many stations, including COS, are served by a mixture of mainline and Express flights. UA's contracts with its Express carriers give it a great deal of flexibility. If they replace a regional jet flight with a mainline flight, it's a good bet that the regional plane will be reallocated elsewhere.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Many stations, including COS, are served by a mixture of mainline and Express flights.
That’s obviously the case beginning again this summer - but by no means has it been the case over these past many (probably north of 15) years. I think I said this before, but I sure hope UA and/or COS make a concerted effort to get the word out on this or it likely will fizzzle quickly.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:17 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Many stations, including COS, are served by a mixture of mainline and Express flights. UA's contracts with its Express carriers give it a great deal of flexibility. If they replace a regional jet flight with a mainline flight, it's a good bet that the regional plane will be reallocated elsewhere.
Is it just the COS-DEN routes or are other UA Express/regional routes in and out of DEN and COS seeing similar changes?

I wonder if this is part of their attempt to add more premium seats to more of their routes, and a temporary solution until they get their new three-cabin CRJs.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
Is it just the COS-DEN routes or are other UA Express/regional routes in and out of DEN and COS seeing similar changes?
This is true throughout the system. For example, AUS-IAH can be anything from an ERJ145 (rare, admittedly) to a 739. All airlines have enormous amounts of demand data available to them, which they use to try to allocate their resources as profitably as possible. I don't have detailed information about the history of every route in the system , but I can tell you that on many of the routes I fly frequently, it'll be express service one month and mainline the next, or vice versa.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Interesting to see that the original 11:36a COS->DEN departure has already been "down-gauged" from 739 to 319 - at least on 8 June (still holding as 739 on 14 June)...
I'm just happy it's not a 145 or 200 ....
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
UA DID have competition at one time COS-DEN; it was Western Pacific. UA dumped a lot of mainline planes into COS-DEN, including DC-10s, during that period. One of the many reasons WestPac failed.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I'm just happy it's not a 145 or 200 ....
You can say that again. 175s are even a welcome sight for me.

While I missed out on the DC-10 days, I’ve been on 146s, 328s, 733s, and 722s on this route.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Enjoyed the DC-10 on my flights back in the day to COS.

Wonder if this is just aircraft utilization or UA waking up that many of us in COS prefer COS over DEN for a number of reasons. Shorter drive time, mostly shorty security time, cheaper parking, etc. COS team has been very active in attracting new routes and increased coverage in the last few years. We have added a nice lounge open to pretty much everyone with some sort of status with any airline, the fire last year forced some upgrades as well which aren't done yet. I as a UA flyer felt UA didn't take advantage of the work done by COS management, but maybe things have changed, finally.
COS is the only airport I routinely travel to that isn’t a nonstop from EWR. All of my other destinations - SFO, SNA, SMF, DEN, DFW, CMH, TPA, MCO, ATL, IAD, BOS - are easy to reach. But I tolerate the connection because COS really is that nice of an airport. Rental cars are easy, agents are super friendly, and yes - the “mortgage” lounge actually is nice to have, if spartan. I much prefer flying into the Springs than driving down from Denver - every time
I do that, I seem to get caught in some awful storm!

Now if UA would just run a once a day nonstop from EWR, it’d be perfect!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I am glad to hear this. i used to use COS as an easy back-up for me. I live on the southwest side of Highland Ranch so it only about a 5 minute difference between airports. Back in my 1K days, I used to connect from COS to DEN and onward regularly to double up on Segments.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
I am glad to hear this. i used to use COS as an easy back-up for me. I live on the southwest side of Highland Ranch so it only about a 5 minute difference between airports. Back in my 1K days, I used to connect from COS to DEN and onward regularly to double up on Segments.
It's funny you mention this, as companies think living in DEN, or any of its suburbs is a huge bonus for hiring purposes, yet from Flying Horse (east of the AFA) I can make it to pretty much any client within minutes or even quicker depending on traffic. Half my neighbors commute to Denver everyday. Other than the current GAP project causing some delays, it's a complete non issue. 40 minutes to the DTC from my house is typical, DEN is 58 minutes, also a non issue. 30 minutes to COS, with way cheaper parking options, and easy security.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
30 minutes to COS, with way cheaper parking options, and easy security.
It’s just too bad that the city backed out on their plans to provide covered parking @ COS (not even available if one pays for valet). I’ve had friends who’ve had their cars completely totaled by hail in COS parking (which is why I only park there if my taxi/Lyft/wife fails to come through on time). Same holds true of DEN, though, unless the expense of one of the garages is a viable option.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer

It’s just too bad that the city backed out on their plans to provide covered parking @ COS (not even available if one pays for valet). I’ve had friends who’ve had their cars completely totaled by hail in COS parking (which is why I only park there if my taxi/Lyft/wife fails to come through on time). Same holds true of DEN, though, unless the expense of one of the garages is a viable option.
The lack of covered parking is a huge gripe of mine. It’s not if but when the hail hits. Somehow I’ve flown out of DEN and had my car in a covered parking garage during the major storms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.