Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7 hours in SFO with United Club pass?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
With Global Entry I presume you have TSA-PrE. If so, don't worry about the lines.

I agree with lhrsfo about Samovar Tea being a good option at the airport.

With that much time, I would consider spending 2-3 hours walking and exploring the airport art, museum, and understanding the airtram (2-3 hours) OR taking a Lyft to Burlingame Avenue or Millbrae Avenue.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Nick Hermann

2 different PP from the same card au and main card holder can be used at different places back to back? I use my at YP and au uses theirs at SFgiants
This is getting OT for the UA forum, but you can even use the same PP at different restaurants/lounges in the same airport, and although I haven't tried this yet myself, Google results suggest that if enough time elapses you can even use the same PP twice at the same restaurant/lounge.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
7 hours is more than enough to g downtown for a quick look around and a meal. BART goes right to the airport.
tanglin likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
With PriorityPass, skip the food in the United lounge and grab breakfast at YankeePier with the $28 credit you’ll get with your PP card.
I find breakfast far superior at the Giants Clubhouse. You will be very full and breakfast run about half the price of the PP allowance.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
This is getting OT for the UA forum, but you can even use the same PP at different restaurants/lounges in the same airport, and although I haven't tried this yet myself, Google results suggest that if enough time elapses you can even use the same PP twice at the same restaurant/lounge.
2 hours is the limit. https://onemileatatime.com/priority-...isit-same-day/

I was unaware that you could use the same PP at multiple restaurants within 2 hours though. I've never tried it. I will typically grab a bite to eat at one restaurant on one PP card and use my other PP card at the other one for takeout (I have one from Amex Plat and another from Chase Sapphire Reserve), because I figure it makes PP less likely to crack down on something like this.

Last edited by STS-134; Feb 3, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by STS-134
I was unaware that you could use the same PP at multiple restaurants within 2 hours though. I've never tried it. I will typically grab a bite to eat at one restaurant on one PP card and use my other PP card at the other one (I have one from Amex Plat and another from Chase Sapphire Reserve), because I figure it makes PP less likely to crack down on something like this.
I've certainly used the same PP card to enter multiple lounges at the same airport within 2 hours, so although I haven't tried this myself either I don't see why two restaurants would be different. But agree that spreading across multiple cards if available can't hurt.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by username
To me, Yankee Pier is overpriced with mediocre food and service. For $28, if there is no restriction on the restaurant, I would try some of the other ones.
I haven't tried the Clubhouse (only other option), but the one time I took my PP to Yankee Pier I received some of the worst restaurant service of my life -- I was contemplating a dine-and-dash in order to avoid missing my flight!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:24 pm

You wouldn't happen to have an AmEx Platinum card by any chance? If so, there's a Centurion lounge near Gate 74 of Terminal 3 which I hear has great food and showers to boot! If not, then yes you should be able to access the UC which has an okay breakfast spread of granola, fruits, yogurt, breads, etc. Sadly, the showers have been pulled from the DOM UCs, one of my biggest gripes of travelling domestically with UA. I can't comment on the Priority Pass situation as I've allowed my membership in that programme to lapse now that I'm UA Gold. However, there were a couple of decent Priority Pass lounges at AKL when I was flying UA back in '17 (in particular the Strata lounge) which had a shower suite and other such nice amenities.

Could someone comment on the day room situation at SFO? Are there any nearby hotels that tend to offer a decent rate which the OP can use to get a bit of shut eye and shower?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey | UA Plat | UA 2M Miler | Marriott Plat | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
It should be noted that the Centurion Lounge will start to limit entrance beginning Feb 22. It will only serve as a "departures" lounge and you can only enter within three hours of your departure flight time. I guess this is a result of people camping out for extended periods of time and not being able to handle the crowds. So if your flight lands in SFO and you want to get some work done before you exit the airport, you're out of luck. The person who checked me in last week at the desk there told me that they expect this to reduce traffic by at least 30%.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by JustinNashville
I'm flying AKL to SFO to BNA and have a 7 hour layover in SFO on Monday the 18th. I have Priority Pass, and 2 United Club lounge passes so I'm thinking of using one of the UC passes up. I get in at 630am and leave at 130pm. Global Entry so I won't waste time there. No desire to venture into into SF.

Recommendation on how to spend the time?

Are any of the UC lounges and/or PP lounges better than others? I don't drink so alcohol selection is a non-issue. A shower would be great but it doesn't look like they have showers. I'm flying E+ so guessing I can't get into a Polaris lounge.

Thanks!
Justin
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
7 hours is more than enough to g downtown for a quick look around and a meal. BART goes right to the airport.
Not directed at specific poster but WHY do people reply suggesting exactly what the OP said they don't want to do? Please read the post and answer the question(s) asked with what THEY request not what you would do!!
pushmyredbutton likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by estnet
Not directed at specific poster but WHY do people reply suggesting exactly what the OP said they don't want to do? Please read the post and answer the question(s) asked with what THEY request not what you would do!!
Why? Seven hours is a LNG time to spend in an airport, many lounges are not available that far in advance of a connecting flight, and sometimes people think getting out of the airport is a lot more difficult than it really is.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by moneesh
It should be noted that the Centurion Lounge will start to limit entrance beginning Feb 22. It will only serve as a "departures" lounge and you can only enter within three hours of your departure flight time. I guess this is a result of people camping out for extended periods of time and not being able to handle the crowds. So if your flight lands in SFO and you want to get some work done before you exit the airport, you're out of luck. The person who checked me in last week at the desk there told me that they expect this to reduce traffic by at least 30%.
This rule will not apply to connecting pax. (Though there is no indication OP has Centurion access, so not sure how this issue came up.)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by estnet
Nothing's ever absolute. I've asked for travel advice and said I didn't have an interest in doing one thing or another at times, and sometimes, someone's recommendation changes my mind.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
aviation museum: international terminal, landside (naturally)
https://www.flysfo.com/museum/aviation-museum-library
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Why? Seven hours is a LNG time to spend in an airport, many lounges are not available that far in advance of a connecting flight, and sometimes people think getting out of the airport is a lot more difficult than it really is.
Count me as someone who'd rather just hang out in a lounge and chill. Especially when I'm on a long trip. It's not so much that i think getting out of the airport is difficult; I just don't feel like dealing with any additional variables.

Some of my most pleasant travel memories involve luxuriating in the LH First Class Terminal in Frankfurt for the entirety of a 12-hour layover!
estnet and Xyzzy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.