Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7 hours in SFO with United Club pass?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
aviation museum: international terminal, landside (naturally)
https://www.flysfo.com/museum/aviation-museum-library
This is an excellent suggestion if you're into that kind of thing. It's one of the most peaceful and empty areas of the airport. Bonus too is the extensive library of aviation related materials upstairs. Last time I had some time to kill, I ended up browsing a 707 repair manual.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LTBoston
Count me as someone who'd rather just hang out in a lounge and chill. Especially when I'm on a long trip. It's not so much that i think getting out of the airport is difficult; I just don't feel like dealing with any additional variables.
I do too. Especially since I always travel with a rollaboard and a heavy briefcase.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Count me as someone who'd rather just hang out in a lounge and chill. Especially when I'm on a long trip. It's not so much that i think getting out of the airport is difficult; I just don't feel like dealing with any additional variables.

Some of my most pleasant travel memories involve luxuriating in the LH First Class Terminal in Frankfurt for the entirety of a 12-hour layover!
Understand the perspective.

As a counterpoint, on a recent 8.5 hour layover at NRT, I entered Japan and booked a day room at one of the airport hotels. Then I went for an eight mile run along the Tokko river to the Great Peace Pagoda in Naritasan. Followed with an excellent udon and shrimp tempura lunch. It was way better than 8 hours in a lounge.
findark likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
As a counterpoint, on a recent 8.5 hour layover at NRT, I entered Japan and booked a day room at one of the airport hotels. Then I went for an eight mile run along the Tokko river to the Great Peace Pagoda in Naritasan. Followed with an excellent udon and shrimp tempura lunch. It was way better than 8 hours in a lounge.
For future reference, the ANA lounges will store your bags for you if you'd prefer to avoid the hotel. Unfortunately for the OP there's nothing like that at SFO unless you want to pay to store them at Freshen Up.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
For future reference, the ANA lounges will store your bags for you if you'd prefer to avoid the hotel. Unfortunately for the OP there's nothing like that at SFO unless you want to pay to store them at Freshen Up.
Thanks for the tip. I might have tried that the last time I went through NRT with a 9 hour layover except I was still so dog-tired, I enjoyed just relaxing and napping in the back of the ANA lounge.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by moneesh
It should be noted that the Centurion Lounge will start to limit entrance beginning Feb 22. It will only serve as a "departures" lounge and you can only enter within three hours of your departure flight time.
Centurion Lounge has been observing this limit on access for quite some time - perhaps they were doing it at high traffic times rather than all the time, but I've run up against it starting months ago.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:24 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by moneesh
It should be noted that the Centurion Lounge will start to limit entrance beginning Feb 22. It will only serve as a "departures" lounge and you can only enter within three hours of your departure flight time. I guess this is a result of people camping out for extended periods of time and not being able to handle the crowds. So if your flight lands in SFO and you want to get some work done before you exit the airport, you're out of luck. The person who checked me in last week at the desk there told me that they expect this to reduce traffic by at least 30%.
It has already started. They don’t admit arrivals. Unless you’re on a connecting flight through SFO, you can’t enter the club more than three hours before departure.

It is a great club, but it’s almost always packed to the rafters, at least that is the situation over the past two or three years or thereabouts.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Thanks for the tip. I might have tried that the last time I went through NRT with a 9 hour layover except I was still so dog-tired, I enjoyed just relaxing and napping in the back of the ANA lounge.
On my last trip through there sat in the massage chair and went to sleep, but first time in a long time with no leg cramps in the bed on my first night back in a bed. Swearing by massage chairs with the leg roller.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by docbert
How do you get from the airsode ANA lounge out to Japan?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ryman554
How do you get from the airsode ANA lounge out to Japan?
I was instructed to backtrack through the transit security area.

The staff there wanted to see my boarding pass, and in my case there was some confusion as my flight was due to depart in about 2 hours which the staff at security decided was too close to let me out, until I managed to communicate to them that it was delayed by ~5 hours at which point the security staff walked me over to the departure board, confirmed the delay, and let me on my way.

From there it was just onto immigration as if I was an arriving passenger.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

Some of my most pleasant travel memories involve luxuriating in the LH First Class Terminal in Frankfurt for the entirety of a 12-hour layover!
I can't imagine ever being happy spending 12 hours in a lounge or even a first class terminal. At the end of the day, it's just a facility for people to relax for at most a few hours between flights. It's not an amusement park designed to keep people occupied all day.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
I can't imagine ever being happy spending 12 hours in a lounge or even a first class terminal. At the end of the day, it's just a facility for people to relax for at most a few hours between flights. It's not an amusement park designed to keep people occupied all day.
They now frown on even sleeping in the lounges. I remember the day when most lounges had couches, basically non of the lounges in the US has them. i have occasionally had long hold overs in SIN and even though the lounges there are very nice I usually opt for the "hotels" in the transit area where you can rent a room by the hour if need be. As I recall one them even had a pool although I have not stayed at that one.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
As SFO based, once in a while I connect thru home if I am going from one trip straight to another. Sometimes, I go home, but if I HAD to stay in the airport I would use the PP for each of the two restaurants in T3 (Yankee Pier and SF Giants Clubhouse), then mix that with some time in the UA club (which is not heavy on food, but has basic drinks). Otherwise before Amex's changes to lounge policy which allows on arrival, I used to go Amex solely because they have the best shower available in my opinion (which shortens and makes a long layover more comfy), but now the 3-hour policy restricts that...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:28 am

Some fun stuff outside of the United Lounge too:
There's a new observation deck: https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...t-13588918.php
I haven't been to the new SFO food hall but I'm planning on skipping the Centurion Lounge on Saturday to check it out. Curious to see how they stack up compared to their city counterparts. https://sf.eater.com/2019/1/22/18193...tional-airport
https://www.yelp.com/biz/manufactory...-san-francisco
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
They now frown on even sleeping in the lounges.
It isn't just frowned upon - it is specifically prohibited in the UC terms and conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.