Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ticket numbers starting with 0162 vs 0167

Ticket numbers starting with 0162 vs 0167

Old Feb 2, 19, 11:52 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club Gold
Posts: 25
Ticket numbers starting with 0162 vs 0167

When I book travel through my company's travel agent my tickets numbers start with 0167...and I rarely get upgraded. When I book them myself I get a 0162 number and usually get my CPU's. What is the difference, and why am I not getting the upgrades when the TA books my flights?
gdavis is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:21 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,736
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
When I book travel through my company's travel agent my tickets numbers start with 0167...and I rarely get upgraded. When I book them myself I get a 0162 number and usually get my CPU's. What is the difference, and why am I not getting the upgrades when the TA books my flights?
The difference is that your company's travel agent has been assigned a block of ticket numbers in the 0167xx range to use. That's it. In the paper ticket days, a travel agent would have a paper ticket book from each airline whose tickets they were authorized to sell. eTickets work the same way; it's just that we don't typically see it.

Any differences in upgrade chances likely have to do with schedule and fare class, not the ticket number.
TerryK and Eastbay1K like this.
jsloan is online now  
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:55 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Posts: 1,888
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
That's it. In the paper ticket days, a travel agent would have a paper ticket book from each airline whose tickets they were authorized to sell.
Sort of. Your explanation is basically correct, but one minor detail is off. Travel agents were issued generic ticket stock that had 10-digit stock control numbers. Then they were issued a plate for each airline on which they were authorized to issue tickets which had a 3 digit number on it (e.g. 016 for United). The agent would then use an imprinter (like an old credit card imprinter) to print the plate in front of the stock control number to issue the ticket, thus creating the full ticket number. Thus they had one plate for each airline, but just a generic ticket book.

Travel agents are still issued a series of stock control numbers, so each travel agent may have a very different number starting immediately after the 016. For normal travel agents, barring some fancy manipulation, the stock control numbers usually increment sequentially. For example, if I issued a United ticket that was 0160000000001, then immediately issued a Lufthansa ticket that ticket number would be 2200000000002. (I think that when some airlines sell directly they may try to be more random to prevent third parties from inferring data based on ticket numbers.)
Zorak and TerryK like this.
Sykes is online now  
Old Feb 2, 19, 5:01 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,736
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Sort of. Your explanation is basically correct, but one minor detail is off. Travel agents were issued generic ticket stock that had 10-digit stock control numbers. Then they were issued a plate for each airline on which they were authorized to issue tickets which had a 3 digit number on it (e.g. 016 for United). The agent would then use an imprinter (like an old credit card imprinter) to print the plate in front of the stock control number to issue the ticket, thus creating the full ticket number. Thus they had one plate for each airline, but just a generic ticket book.
Thanks, you're absolutely right. I knew it didn't sound quite right when I was typing it, but I couldn't put my finger on why. The ten-digit numbers didn't overlap, which is why you didn't have to worry about the possibility of travel agent A and travel agent B both issuing ticket 016 12345 67890.
jsloan is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: