Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking reward / award flights for others (if not also traveling)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:28 am
MzG
Original Poster

my husband and I have lots of united air miles which we are unlikely to use. Can these be used to book flights for my daughter and her soon to be husband? They would like to start their honeymoon by flying to JNB from Heathrow. It seems like the only higher cabins available are Ethiopian and Egyptair which doesn’t sound too great, has anybody any experience with these airlines? I remember flying Egyptair years ago and most of the passengers were smoking, it was gross.

I am not sure United miles can be used to book for other people, any advice would be much appreciated

ironically, I am cabin crew and could get standby with the airline I work for, but JNB flights are often overbooked. Too risky for a honeymoon trip.

thank you
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Yes you can book for whoever you want.
Ethiopian is quite nice on their 787s/A350s - not so nice on the 737s. On par with European carriers.
Egyptair is fine (better than BA for example), but its not flat beds, and no alcohol, avoid 737s again.

Using United miles, there arent that many options from London to SA. Turkish would be best - but availability is worst.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:38 am
MzG
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes you can book for whoever you want.
Ethiopian is quite nice on their 787s/A350s - not so nice on the 737s. On par with European carriers.
Egyptair is fine (better than BA for example), but its not flat beds, and no alcohol, avoid 737s again.

Using United miles, there arent that many options from London to SA. Turkish would be best - but availability is worst.
Also check individual flights from Germany, usually SAA has good availability out of FRA and MUC and so does LH. In this case, if you dont find good long-haul flights, try searching multi-city flights with USA-EU-SAfrica
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by MzG
my husband and I have lots of united air miles which we are unlikely to use. Can these be used to book flights for my daughter and her soon to be husband? They would like to start their honeymoon by flying to JNB from Heathrow. It seems like the only higher cabins available are Ethiopian and Egyptair which doesn’t sound too great, has anybody any experience with these airlines? I remember flying Egyptair years ago and most of the passengers were smoking, it was gross.

I am not sure United miles can be used to book for other people, any advice would be much appreciated

ironically, I am cabin crew and could get standby with the airline I work for, but JNB flights are often overbooked. Too risky for a honeymoon trip.

thank you
try re-locating to Zurich and doing ZRH-JNB have had luck with business availability there before.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Also look for routing to CPT which is much more likely of a honeymoon destination than JNB (unless it's only for safari). SAA requires a layover in JNB but ET flies direct into CPT as do LH and LX (I believe).

As to availability, I've had success out of London with SA in Business (not the best but it gets you into the South African mood from the get-go). I flew Egyptair on the way back once and I wouldn't recommend it - it's dry, the plane on the JNB-CAI sector had an ancient interior and changing in CAI was more than unpleasant.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Premium cabin award availability on SAA usually opens up 1 month to a few day out. If your dates are set book whatever you can find and then pay the $100 fee to change up to 24 hours before flight, the direct flight is better than connecting in Cairo or Addis. The hard product on the SAA A330-300 used on this route is good.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
book whatever you can find and then pay the $100 fee to change up to 24 hours before flight
The fee, for members without status, is $125 for changes within 60 days of departure, not $100, and note that it is per ticket -- so $250 for the couple. Also, if going this route, and not trying to make use of the Excursionist Perk (which would allow a free one-way flight within a single region), it's probably best to book the flights as two one-ways rather than a round-trip. There are several reports of people not being able to make changes to the outbound part of a round-trip flight if there is no longer availability on the return leg. (This does have the downside of requiring two separate cancellation fees, should that be necessary).
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by jsloan
The fee, for members without status, is $125 for changes within 60 days of departure, not $100, and note that it is per ticket -- so $250 for the couple. Also, if going this route, and not trying to make use of the Excursionist Perk (which would allow a free one-way flight within a single region), it's probably best to book the flights as two one-ways rather than a round-trip. There are several reports of people not being able to make changes to the outbound part of a round-trip flight if there is no longer availability on the return leg. (This does have the downside of requiring two separate cancellation fees, should that be necessary).
I recently did this without issue (Jan 2019) . I changed from SFO-FRA-JNB to SFO-LHR-JNB and left excursionist leg and return legs in place, no issues. There wasn't still award availability on return. If you have this issue I suspect it's user error on the part of the agent. So if they don't seem comfortable making the change hang up and call again.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:42 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
United lets you book award tickets for others from your account, provided you get nothing in return for that gift of a plane ticket. Do note that there are some people who do try to sell their frequent flyer miles or award tickets to others in violation of the terms of the frequent flyer program, so if the person booking the ticket lives in neither the UK nor South Africa, it would not be the oddest thing in the world to be contacted to ask about your relationship to the people who are flying on the tickets.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:01 pm
MzG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Also look for routing to CPT which is much more likely of a honeymoon destination than JNB (unless it's only for safari). SAA requires a layover in JNB but ET flies direct into CPT as do LH and LX (I believe).

As to availability, I've had success out of London with SA in Business (not the best but it gets you into the South African mood from the get-go). I flew Egyptair on the way back once and I wouldn't recommend it - it's dry, the plane on the JNB-CAI sector had an ancient interior and changing in CAI was more than unpleasant.
it is indeed a safari they have planned. They have been to Cape Town a couple of times and loved it. Your experience of Egyptair sounds similar to my experience 😏

thank you you for your help
Originally Posted by beachmouse
United lets you book award tickets for others from your account, provided you get nothing in return for that gift of a plane ticket. Do note that there are some people who do try to sell their frequent flyer miles or award tickets to others in violation of the terms of the frequent flyer program, so if the person booking the ticket lives in neither the UK nor South Africa, it would not be the oddest thing in the world to be contacted to ask about your relationship to the people who are flying on the tickets.
thank you for that info, I had no idea. This is purely a mum trying to keep their costs down, and definitely not receiving anything in return. I am not used to cashing in miles, I have only done that once before with United.
All this information, my head is buzzing. I have never heard of the excursionist perk. ��

thank you you all for the very helpful information, I had never given a thought to connecting flights, and are best avoided at all costs

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 27, 2019 at 3:23 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MzG
All this information, my head is buzzing. I have never heard of the excursionist perk. ��

thank you you all for the very helpful information, I had never given a thought to connecting flights, and are best avoided at all costs
Oh, I wouldn't say avoid connections at all costs, especially if the connections are in Europe and you allow plenty of time between flights. They certainly open up a lot of options.

I recommend looking for the longer international segments first (e.g. FRA-JNB, ZRH-JNB), then work on connections to London once you find space. You can also call United to get help piecing a trip together.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:15 am
MzG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Oh, I wouldn't say avoid connections at all costs, especially if the connections are in Europe and you allow plenty of time between flights. They certainly open up a lot of options.

I recommend looking for the longer international segments first (e.g. FRA-JNB, ZRH-JNB), then work on connections to London once you find space. You can also call United to get help piecing a trip together.

Thanks, I agree, i was looking at the flights you mention, just a pity they are all economy. But hey, they will be getting free flights so they can’t really grumble

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.