Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic CPU clearance rates for 1Ks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
I as well have been F on the longer hauls for basically the same reason. I will still role the dice with little success on some of the shorter runs. Tomorrow for example I am on a SFO-EGE and looks like a no go but paying for F wasn't really worth it on the "devil's chariot".
For some reason, I think that you have the wrong "devil's chariot". The only one I know, the CR2, does not have a First Class.
jsloan and Santander like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
3/3 on CPUs, 4/4 on RPU for no-status friends, 4/4 on GPUs TPACs at booking, so far I've resisted buying any P fares since the PQM devaluation whereas in the past that's all I'd buy & burn all my GPUs on F&F, life as 1K has been good this year.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+
Originally Posted by nomad420
Impressive success! I as well started off slowly this year with soon to be 14 segs (all CPU eligible) with ZERO CPU clearance. I have cleared 2 instruments (1GPU and 1RPU both domestic flgihts) however. This is now as a GS so for me so really no big change from my last several years as 1K at least so far. I have to say even now as GS it is STILL all about when and where you fly to. I would say you seem to clear instruments easier as a GS pax, I had horrible success with clearing them over the last 3 years as 1K.
Thanks, I am lucky to travel from MCI and have a higher then average chance at CPU from here. As you said, it is all about when and where I'm going and I can usually control the when part. That leads to higher success rate.at hubs also. I'm sorry you aren't having better luck.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by iapetus
That said, I am hopeful that I will clear with a CPU tomorrow evening, IAH-LAX. The flight is showing 7 open seats in F (20 capacity; 13 booked), and I'm on a U fare.
It's not happening. That leaves me 0/3 on hub-to-hub CPU success. Maybe I'm flying on bad days or at bad times.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I have decent success, near 100% if I'm flying Hub-Non Hub. I can't remember the last Hub-Hub CPU I've gotten, it has been quite a long time ago.

The biggest change for me by far, is the difficulty getting an upgrade To/From HNL. Upgrades, at least for me as a 1K are practically non-existent, whether it is to/from SFO or LAX regardless of day or time. Doesn't matter the plane type either. This used to be a route even Golds had a decent chance at upgrades. They've figured out the right price to sell outright - an attractive buy-up price (usually around $310 each way), or people are burning full mileage to sit up front as Saver awards in F are also rare.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have no idea how you're all getting these CPUs to clear - I can barely get a RPU to clear to/from Florida!
seanp7 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
3/9 . But 8 out of these 9 flights were IAD <-> SFO which almost never clears even on M+ fares. The crowd of GS and 1Ks is massive for these flights.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Flying Blue Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot Plat (TWA / NWA - million miler)
one out of 7 so far in 2019.... All have been gifted. And the one upgrade offered was refused, as only one person in a couple got it...
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
3/9 . But 8 out of these 9 flights were IAD <-> SFO which almost never clears even on M+ fares. The crowd of GS and 1Ks is massive for these flights.
So if you have flown 9 flights and 8 are IAD/SFO and 3 of the 9 are CPU'd, that means 2 CPUs were IAD/SFO. That means 2 out of 8 or 25%. Not bad for a "almost never clears...". But I'm simply pointing out the math - IAD/SFO is extremely difficult and 25% may not be that bad. In my mind an "almost never" is sub 10%.

-RM
findark and tstauck like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I can't remember the last Hub-Hub CPU I've gotten, it has been quite a long time ago.
LAX-SFO!

Any other hub-to-hub, you're usually going to need an RPU to have any shot at all.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I'm 0/6 this year. Mostly bought F when required.
Used an expiring GPU for LAX-SAT Monday which cleared. SAT-IAH-FLL Wednesday yet to clear but they are selling (TOD) upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.