Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How would you like to land at EWR and see your car on fire?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would you like to land at EWR and see your car on fire?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by cl.lurker
It happened at the parking lot for Terminal C, which is 100% United - so at least technically all 17 cars belong(ed) to a UA customer.
Could be someone who works in the terminal, right? OTG?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
One way to get out of paying high parking fees.......
If EWR is like JFK, your plate is scanned when you enter the lot, so when they tow one of these cars out, they'll do another scan AND (knowing PANYNJ) they'll send the owner a bill for parking.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by nrr
If EWR is like JFK, your plate is scanned when you enter the lot, so when they tow one of these cars out, they'll do another scan AND (knowing PANYNJ) they'll send the owner a bill for parking.
It seems that the PANYNJ has oh-so-generously offered to waive the parking fee for the burned-ut vehicles.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
You might be surprised, there might be some very happy people there if they were upside down on their loan value or had a lease car they disliked lol Dont you see that Prius at the top right, looks like they are backing it up to the fire. Hope they have gap insurance.
Idk about how leased cars are handled. But for the people who were upside down; I'd be very upset if I don't have gap insurance. Insurance, your own or the party whose car started the fire, is only going to pay out the current value of the car, so they'd still be liable for the difference in the loan and their value. Not sure on NJ's insurance requirements, b ut I'd also be pretty upset if I only had liability on my car since this wouldn't be covered (at least they couldn't be upside down and owe money....if that is any consolation)
bmw745ion19s likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Idk about how leased cars are handled. But for the people who were upside down; I'd be very upset if I don't have gap insurance. Insurance, your own or the party whose car started the fire, is only going to pay out the current value of the car, so they'd still be liable for the difference in the loan and their value. Not sure on NJ's insurance requirements, b ut I'd also be pretty upset if I only had liability on my car since this wouldn't be covered (at least they couldn't be upside down and owe money....if that is any consolation)
Considering the [apparent] outstanding warrants and arrest of the initial fire-starter's car's owner, it is quite possible that that vehicle wasn't insured at all. Sadly, there might be a few people out of some serious coin here.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Is there a Telsa in the group? It is likely the culprit.
The gap-insurance thing is really sad for some.
After once returning from S.California trip to a snowed in car during a freak April snowstorm (no shovel, no gloves, no coat, no snow scaper). I promised myself NEVER drive/park to the airport again. I'll take the extra time of public transportation or expense of Uber/Lfyt even if a one-two day trip. Can't blame the owners but recent EWR Parking woes - return to vandalism of flat tires, car burnt out, other vandalism. Even if corporate card is paying the exorbitant parking rate it simply isn't worth it.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonehead
WTH? Overflowing washing machine?
Popcorn. Tons of it.

Real Genius stuff.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by malgudi
Oh. So any news re: EWR gets automatically posted here? Got it.
Kinda like breaking ATL news gets posted in the DL forum. For---some---unknown---reason.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
They have identified the person who caused the fire, so I would assume every upside down claim will be a lawsuit filed against them. Heck, for someone that stupid, I'd file a lawsuit just for sport.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
Could be someone who works in the terminal, right? OTG?
Wider shot showed that this garage was close to the terminal, so I think it's the top deck of the Terminal C short-term parking garage. Probably not employees...too expensive I would think.

Here's a cool news video...shows multiple cars exploding

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...505129561.html
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
They have identified the person who caused the fire, so I would assume every upside down claim will be a lawsuit filed against them. Heck, for someone that stupid, I'd file a lawsuit just for sport.
Are we saying the person who caused the fire is the guy who was arrested....for outstanding traffic warrants and suspended license? Maybe I'm biased, but someone with those types of violations doesn't stand out as having much money saved up to go after. You can sue them, will even win the civil suit and get a judgement, but a dry towel doesn't drip, even when squeezed...
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I'll take the extra time of public transportation or expense of Uber/Lfyt even if a one-two day trip.
I take Uber to the airport for two day trips except when they don't show up (and that has happened often). But, then, I do have to park my car at work and I guess that something like that could happen there too.

I would get extremely annoyed if I arrive to any parking lot and see my car on fire. It's a pain to replace a manual car. When a SUV rear ended it, it took me one month to find one. When I moved back to the US, it took me two months to find one and had to drive 350 miles to get it.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Yeah...probably a body in one of the trunks
I thought spontaneous combustion of bodies was a myth
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I take Uber to the airport for two day trips except when they don't show up (and that has happened often). But, then, I do have to park my car at work and I guess that something like that could happen there too.

I would get extremely annoyed if I arrive to any parking lot and see my car on fire. It's a pain to replace a manual car. When a SUV rear ended it, it took me one month to find one. When I moved back to the US, it took me two months to find one and had to drive 350 miles to get it.
As a manual trans driver myself - I fully understand your concern.
I've stopped using Uber due to drivers indicating they picked me up {and I'm along for ride but still waiting for their arrival} or simply keep driving away/around never responding to inquiries until I cancel at which point they collect money. Sick and tired of the contacting Uber customer service on this to be issued a credit requiring me to use Uber again. Lyft seems more reliable on this front but like anything good - it can only last for so long before it is a scam.

I'm anxiously awaiting the root cause of the fire as without any evidence I assume it was a Telsa (spontaneous combustion) or some frozen gadget/battery which quickly heated due to sunlight.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
As a manual trans driver myself - I fully understand your concern.
I've stopped using Uber due to drivers indicating they picked me up {and I'm along for ride but still waiting for their arrival} or simply keep driving away/around never responding to inquiries until I cancel at which point they collect money. Sick and tired of the contacting Uber customer service on this to be issued a credit requiring me to use Uber again. Lyft seems more reliable on this front but like anything good - it can only last for so long before it is a scam.

I'm anxiously awaiting the root cause of the fire as without any evidence I assume it was a Telsa (spontaneous combustion) or some frozen gadget/battery which quickly heated due to sunlight.
Little bit OT, but you'd think with the fact your requesting device sends your location so they know where to pick you up, it would be pretty easy to program the app to tell if the driver hasn't actually picked you up....when they supposedly picked you up 5 minutes ago and are 3 miles away, but your location hasn't moved at all. (Of course this assumes that the person requesting is the person riding [which the app verifies if you aren't by making you confirm you're not at the pickup point] , and they have location tracking continuously enabled while a ride is on going).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.