Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Services (GS) isn't the program it used to be! [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Services (GS) isn't the program it used to be! [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:10 pm

This belongs in the DYWKIA thread! OP needs to stop flying commercial with these unrealistic expectations.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Has nobody noticed what they are calling this once in a generation weather - even the US Postal Service suspended mail service in several states.
What weather? OP is GS, don't the weather gods know that???
ekwang likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I think you need to separate the issues out a little more

- I am in YYC at the moment and they have had a very mild winter , everyone is talking about it and the walk home from dinner tonight was almost balmy, It doesn't matter though what it is like where you are it is where your plane is coming from that counts. I once booked a flight to POS thru Miami in Jan to make sure I did not get weather impact, plan when well until I realized the Miami-POS flight was in bound from JFK ... 6 hr snow delay !!
- Given the weather south and east of here, the disruptions to schedules and aircraft positioning is significant and in the circumstances you have to give any airline some slack for that, but at least from the agent response side this has been predicted for a week and UA should have had plans in place to deal with the disruptions and peak rescheduling volumes..
- GA service has gone down hill because it is now 1k and a half , the barriers to entry are too low by at least $30 or $40k spend for it to have anything like a decent exclusive program level of service..
United Global Services status is your passport to dedicated, discreet and exceptional service. It’s our promise to go the extra mile for you, at the airport, in the air and even after you’ve arrived maybe 10/ 12 years ago they were getting close to realizing to this promise but they they have walked backed from it over the last 5 .But that it out of scope of this post and the issues the weather presents, Good luck getting home .I am YYC- Den on Friday (allegedly) if you are still around.
I don't have more inside knowledge than the rest of us, but my understanding is that GS represents the top 1% of United's elite flying flying population and the quantity of members doesn't vary too much from year to year; rather the qualification matrix varies based on what the top 1% is. Maybe the UA/CO merger changed the numbers by a lot because the elite population increased, but so did the network. I wouldn't blame a decline in service on anecdotal reports of lower qualifying numbers here and there-- I would blame it on other factors.

One of my "extra-mile" GS moments was leaving an amenity kit full of medication in a seatback pocket on an ORDSEA flight and not even knowing it. Driving away from the airport in the rental car on the highway I get a call from a local number I don't recognize letting me know that I left something behind on the plane (and what it was--it was important). The airport GS rep on the phone said just to call her back at that number when I'm 5 minutes from the airport and she'll meet me curbside at departures so I don't have to park and go inside. No cape, but yellow scarf to the rescue-- she was my superhero that day!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

- I am in YYC at the moment and they have had a very mild winter , everyone is talking about it and the walk home from dinner tonight was almost balmy,....
Looking at the weather forecasts, that is about to change dramatically and start to see aspects of what is happening is some of the lower 48.

There are probably two different discussions here
-- the present change weather conditions and the impact on short term travel
-- The longer term level of GS service

Mixing the two is going to lead to a confused discussion
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
...GA service has gone down hill because it is now 1k and a half...
Keeping in mind that 1K is now Premier Platinum and a quarter!

The devaluation has occurred, and the service has dropped across all tiers.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I dropped from a several year 1K to p,at last year. I find the service to be just fine. Agents are courteous, and they work hard to go the extra mile.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I'm a meteorologist and calling this weather "once in a generation" isn't a stretch by any means. Some stations in the upper midwest had overnight lows and wind chill readings go lower than they have seen in the past 30 years. I don't know how this impacts airline operations, but you'd better believe that it will have a dramatic effect on an airline with a major hub right smack dab in the middle of the coldest air.

Sorry your flight was one affected - safe travels.
wxguy, EWR764, tuolumne and 1 others like this.

Last edited by n198ua; Jan 31, 2019 at 6:58 am Reason: spelling.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Just found out by accident that my YYC-DEN flight tomorrow is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance. Absolutely no notice from GS. When I called in, no willingness to do anything but to put me on the devils chariot despite a paid FC ticket. What is wrong with UA’s GS service?
As for only being offered the Devil's Chariot, I believe you are off base in being upset. During periods of system wide disruption, you aren't going to necessarily get the ride you paid for.

As for not being notified proactively about the change, I'd be upset as well. Back before I was 1K and a mere Premier Executive customer, I was once called the night before a TCON by an agent who offered me a different flight because the one I had purchased was probably going to be delayed. Why the GS staff couldn't have at least sent you an e-mail so you werent caught off guard is surprising. Especially since proactive support is supposed to be what GS is all about.
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Ari
I don't have more inside knowledge than the rest of us, but my understanding is that GS represents the top 1% of United's elite flying flying population and the quantity of members doesn't vary too much from year to year; rather the qualification matrix varies based on what the top 1% is. Maybe the UA/CO merger changed the numbers by a lot because the elite population increased, but so did the network. I wouldn't blame a decline in service on anecdotal reports of lower qualifying numbers here and there-- I would blame it on other factors.

One of my "extra-mile" GS moments was leaving an amenity kit full of medication in a seatback pocket on an ORDSEA flight and not even knowing it. Driving away from the airport in the rental car on the highway I get a call from a local number I don't recognize letting me know that I left something behind on the plane (and what it was--it was important). The airport GS rep on the phone said just to call her back at that number when I'm 5 minutes from the airport and she'll meet me curbside at departures so I don't have to park and go inside. No cape, but yellow scarf to the rescue-- she was my superhero that day!
Wait, aren't these the stories you read all the time in the Southwest magazine?
John Aldeborgh likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I’d settle for a E75 or just getting a seat before processing upgrades
The E75 at 4:40 PM on Friday still has 2 First Class seats available (down from 3 last night)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United Flight 5462

Operated by SkyWest Airlines dba United ExpressStatus: We're sorry to let you know that your flight (UA 5462) on Jan 31 has been canceled because of schedule disruptions caused by a Wind Chill Warning. Check your options on the United app or united.com under Saved Reservations. You can also contact United at 1-800-UNITED-1 within the U.S. and Canada.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
With major weather disruptions yesterday and today at multiple hubs, including its largest, is it possible that United’s GS (and indeed all customer service) resources are stretched a bit thin?

I must say that the argument, “the weather’s fine here, there’s no reason for my flight to be delayed/canceled,” seems a bit misplaced coming from a GS traveler...
tuolumne and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No idea how OP got his GS, but it generally suggests an experienced traveler. However, OP's complaints are misplaced and suggest a naive approach to the problem. Bottom line is that flights are being cancelled throughout the region due to extraordinary weather conditions, which include fuel lines freezing. That is a bad thing for people who don't want their aircraft dropping out of the sky.

1. Notice - If OP is signed up for texts & emails, it is surprising that he did not receive those as UA tends to send more rather than less of those, e.g. every time there is a 2-minute change. That is something to check in order to make sure that nothing is amiss.
2. Lousy Option - The later CRJ flight is the best and the worst option. That is because it is the only nonstop option and I suspect that it is OP's GS which snagged him a seat given that UA has 70 passengers to reroute. All other options are connections and that seems a bit silly for a short flight in order to sit in standard domestic F (presuming availability).
3. OP's Proposal - What is it OP wants? Any experienced traveler knows that air carriers are not mind readers. If the most important aspect of OP's travel is that there be an F cabin and that he is seated in it, that is what he must ask for. Be prepared to provide the phone agent the specific flights you want.

While not related to his status, OP is entitled to a refund of the difference between his F fare and the Y fare. That may not be much.
tuolumne and JVPhoto like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:05 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I too had to be more proactive in rebookings than usual this week ex-ORD. I also had to ultimately reschedule a ORD <> MCI day trip because UX cancellations made it impossible. All-in-all though I think the GS desk had me booked in F (D fare) on 7 different birds yesterday in my effort to get to southern Florida. No chance would I have made it as a 1K. So I had to pick up the phone a few times instead of them reaching out proactively. Big deal. GS still saved me.
EWR764 and United747 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I’m YYC based. Yes, it has been a super mild winter here. And yes, it will get cold this weekend for a couple of days, but nowhere near cold enough to cause large scale disruption. However as many others have pointed out this cancellation seems to have nothing to do with YYC weather and everything to do with where the plane is coming from.

Many times flying YYC-DEN or YYC-ORD I have seen the inbound UX flights coming from ORD/DEN respectively. Therefore, it is likely your flight is caught up in the ORD weather issues.

Regardless, be happy they are finding a way to get you home. Although it sucks to be on a CR2, it’s only a 2 hour flight, and will get you home quicker and more reliably than any other option on the table right now. I’m not sure what additional service or treatment you expected? A flight home and some downgrade compensation should be more than sufficient

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.