Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhanced customer service commitment including free DirecTV on all DTV A/C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced customer service commitment including free DirecTV on all DTV A/C.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why?
Because for whatever reason they seem to be way worse with light pollution than any other IFE. I've had screens that don't turn off and I have to rig something to block them, and the default seems to be having an entire cabin of full brightness screens on the whole time. I don't have much trouble sleeping on planes under any circumstances, except for these DTV flights which are like having a thousand suns in the cabin.
jsloan and truncated like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
Hopefully someday we'll see the full return of IFE on UA. The systems of old on the B737s with the flip-down screens wasn't so bad, and couldn't have added that much weight. And you can still offer the so-called "Personal Device Entertainment" for those who want to schlep out a laptop during flight.
Yes they were so bad. Looking at a low resolution screen five rows ahead playing a choppy video off of a magnetic tape and listening to a static fllled audio transmission of the same move for an entire month. We’ve come a long way and it’s much better now. PDE is the future. I know people love to complain, but how is PDE not an upgrade over the shared screen. If you don’t have an electronic device, well, get with the times.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
If/When it works.
It’s rare when the PDE doesn’t work. The WiFi might be out a lot, but PDE comes from a separate onboard server with stored content and isn’t dependent on the sat signal.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BB2220

Yes they were so bad. Looking at a low resolution screen five rows ahead playing a choppy video off of a magnetic tape and listening to a static fllled audio transmission of the same move for an entire month. We’ve come a long way and it’s much better now. PDE is the future. I know people love to complain, but how is PDE not an upgrade over the shared screen. If you don’t have an electronic device, well, get with the times.
I miss those stethoscope tubes they used to rent for $5 to watch the movies on the big screen at the front of the cabin.

When I started flying they used to give away free food in flight and charge for the movies. Now they give away the movies and charge for the food. That's the biggest change that's occurred in commercial flying during my lifetime.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
When is the DTV contract ver? I thought they were removing these from some (all?) aircraft.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Doppy
Because for whatever reason they seem to be way worse with light pollution than any other IFE. I've had screens that don't turn off ....
Must be rare, I've never encountered a screen that won't turn off (except during the safety video and first few commercials). Just one that wont turn on. Light pollution may be worse because people dont know how to or bother with turning down/off their screens. I've encountered worse with people using their large ipads on full brightness in a dark cabin.

I would still rather have screens with the ability to go bright (and dim) so they can be watched during the day.

It is no different for me now. I've never gotten the PDE to work properly on my phone or tablet or laptop, it is usually choppy or the audio sync is off. Maybe one is expected to buy the latest top of the line smartphone/tablet in order to use PDE.

how is PDE not an upgrade over the shared screen.
DTV is not shared screens, it is a screen in every seat, to me, that's more "futuristic"

If you don’t have an electronic device, well, get with the times.
Owning or not owning a device isnt the issue but is a good point. Alot of people down own "compatible" devices. Not everyone is "young" or "rich". I bet many elderly people may not own smartphones or know how to use one. My mom still doesn't know how to use airplane mode. What about a typical family with 2.5 children. They are supposed to buy a separate tablet/phone for their kids? Some people are living paycheck to paycheck and can't afford this.

Aside from that, let's say I own a compatible device. That doesn't mean the power plug near me is working or not being used by someone else. I may need to actually use my phone the rest of the day so I don't want to drain it on the plane. Also, not all planes have the phone holder. So people are left having their neck bent the whole flight looking down or having their arms get tired holding up their device the whole time. Even in F, what if I want to watch IFE while I'm eating my meal. Some things require two hands to eat. (Yes, the newer seats have the tablet holders)

The whole point of IFE is that the airline is providing the device.

IMHO, shared screens with fixed content was the past. Then came On-demand video systems (in each seat). Then came Live TV (in each seat). I see that as the future. I guess going further in the future would be having live TV or the option of on demand tv (at each seat)
But to airlines, the future is reducing weight, so remove IFE and install something called PDE

Now my biggest issue with DTV (and PDE) is removal of Ch9.
HotelHacker and railmatt like this.

Last edited by eng3; Feb 1, 2019 at 8:07 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Useless metric, it just means rushing to close the door and pull the jetway. WAY too many times I've seen them do that only to sit at the gate for an hour longer. This bonus needs to be tuned to overall on time performance, just just closing the door. At least with the door open until pushback was imminent, people could get up and leave on a long delay if rebooking options were available. I can think of several times in the last few years that I ended up missing an international connection because of this, being held captive on an "on-time departure" because they closed the door with a known delay. I would have happily gotten off the plane on at least 2 of those since I knew the connection was blown with the onboard announced delay timing.
You realize that the flight crew only gets paid once that door closes, right?

might just have something to do with the behavior.

Lets face it - we’re all coin operated on some
level ...
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Because for whatever reason they seem to be way worse with light pollution than any other IFE. I've had screens that don't turn off and I have to rig something to block them, and the default seems to be having an entire cabin of full brightness screens on the whole time. I don't have much trouble sleeping on planes under any circumstances, except for these DTV flights which are like having a thousand suns in the cabin.
I suggest you use eyeshades - frankly, some of us might want to watch TV during the flight,.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That bothered you? The whole ad only took ten or 12 minutes to play.

It would be an even better enhancement if they took DTV out entirely, but I guess free is better than nothing.
Yes, yes it did... Given the quirky sound systems on the various 737s, it often played way louder than the safety video. Not to great, especially on an early morning flight where you might be trying to sleep, etc...
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by eng3
Must be rare, I've never encountered a screen that won't turn off (except during the safety video and first few commercials). Just one that wont turn on. Light pollution may be worse because people dont know how to or bother with turning down/off their screens. I've encountered worse with people using their large ipads on full brightness in a dark cabin.

I would still rather have screens with the ability to go bright (and dim) so they can be watched during the day.

It is no different for me now. I've never gotten the PDE to work properly on my phone or tablet or laptop, it is usually choppy or the audio sync is off. Maybe one is expected to buy the latest top of the line smartphone/tablet in order to use PDE.

DTV is not shared screens, it is a screen in every seat, to me, that's more "futuristic"

Owning or not owning a device isnt the issue but is a good point. Alot of people down own "compatible" devices. Not everyone is "young" or "rich". I bet many elderly people may not own smartphones or know how to use one. My mom still doesn't know how to use airplane mode. What about a typical family with 2.5 children. They are supposed to buy a separate tablet/phone for their kids? Some people are living paycheck to paycheck and can't afford this.

Aside from that, let's say I own a compatible device. That doesn't mean the power plug near me is working or not being used by someone else. I may need to actually use my phone the rest of the day so I don't want to drain it on the plane. Also, not all planes have the phone holder. So people are left having their neck bent the whole flight looking down or having their arms get tired holding up their device the whole time. Even in F, what if I want to watch IFE while I'm eating my meal. Some things require two hands to eat. (Yes, the newer seats have the tablet holders)

The whole point of IFE is that the airline is providing the device.

IMHO, shared screens with fixed content was the past. Then came On-demand video systems (in each seat). Then came Live TV (in each seat). I see that as the future. I guess going further in the future would be having live TV or the option of on demand tv (at each seat)
But to airlines, the future is reducing weight, so remove IFE and install something called PDE

Now my biggest issue with DTV (and PDE) is removal of Ch9.
The "shared screens" thing was in response to my comment. I suggested having them for those who don't want to pull out a laptop while flying. They could still show the inflight movie, and have music channels too with the selector in the armrest.

I agree with your post though. When you look around the world most full-service carriers have IFE. I think the issue with the screens being too bright could be fixed by having it set up such that when the lights are dimmed, the screens also go to a dimmer setting unless you turn them up. The FAs may not care for this though as they might get a sudden influx of requests for help to brighten up the screen after it does this. Also I didn't design the system so I don't know if it is possible to add this function after the fact.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
The "shared screens" thing was in response to my comment. I suggested having them for those who don't want to pull out a laptop while flying. They could still show the inflight movie, and have music channels too with the selector in the armrest.
I agree. That is the nice thing about having real IFE. You still have the option to use your own device

I agree with your post though. When you look around the world most full-service carriers have IFE. I think the issue with the screens being too bright could be fixed by having it set up such that when the lights are dimmed, the screens also go to a dimmer setting unless you turn them up. The FAs may not care for this though as they might get a sudden influx of requests for help to brighten up the screen after it does this. Also I didn't design the system so I don't know if it is possible to add this function after the fact.
They could install a sensor like in cellphones to auto-adjust I guess but there is a brightness button to change it so I don't see the issue.
If one wants to sleep, they can close their eyes and/or wear an eye mask. One cannot watch tv if the screens are off or removed. Sounds the same as the whole window shade up/down debate. (I want sunlight to help me adjust to jet lag, there is no other option for this other than opening the window shade. People can still sleep if they want) One should be able to utilize the features of their seat (recline, window, tv, etc) and not be impeded by someone else unless there is no alternative.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
When is the DTV contract ver? I thought they were removing these from some (all?) aircraft.
DTV is on the legacy CO 737s from my flight experiences. Once these planes get retrofitted with the new seating, DTV will go away in favor of the PDE systems so this freebie has a limited lifespan. The DTV daytime programming mostly sucks anyway. I just wish they would fix the MacOS PDE software, have never been able to get that software to install properly my Macbook and I'm a tech guy....
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
One cannot watch tv if the screens are off or removed. Sounds the same as the whole window shade up/down debate.
The problem with the DTV seats is that nobody knows how to turn them off. If they turned themselves off with inactivity, or if there was an obvious, one-press OFF button, I wouldn't have an issue. Instead, you get a cabin full of screens at full brightness, showing the same looping ads and whatnot, while nobody pays attention.
truncated likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
The problem with the DTV seats is that nobody knows how to turn them off. If they turned themselves off with inactivity, or if there was an obvious, one-press OFF button, I wouldn't have an issue. Instead, you get a cabin full of screens at full brightness, showing the same looping ads and whatnot, while nobody pays attention.
It took me forever to realize that barring a dedicated on/off switch the only way to achieve an "off" effect is to dim he brightness all the way. So simple, yet so unintuitive.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
It took me forever to realize that barring a dedicated on/off switch the only way to achieve an "off" effect is to dim he brightness all the way. So simple, yet so unintuitive.
I'm sure it's designed that way -- more eyeballs to sell, whether passengers like it or nt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.