Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhanced customer service commitment including free DirecTV on all DTV A/C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced customer service commitment including free DirecTV on all DTV A/C.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I find the DirecTV to help a longer flight fly by. It was definitely a nice perk to get for free when getting a CPU. Also, flying from Cleveland, it seems like they fly mostly 737's with the IFEs. I'm very excited for this benefit as I only paid for the DirecTV once (when the Indians were in the World Series while I was flying). I hardly ever saw anybody actually pay for that. Given how few people purchased it, I would guess that the operating cost would be greater than the revenue, but then again, it is a sunk cost, for the installation, at least.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:34 pm

I fly a lot of DTV equipped 737s and think this is a nice little offer and change... I will enjoy it and would MUCH rather have this than something I have to stream and watch on a phone or tablet.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by worldtrav
DTV is on almost one third of the mainline fleet.
Which means that DTV is NOT on over two-thirds of the mainline fleet. Othewise known as the vast majority. @:-)

Originally Posted by jimmc66
Actually, I've been advised by my contacts inside UA that the credit card swipers in these seatback TV's are long past their useful life, and have become a maintenance nightmare.
And if they yanked the swipers but left the TVs, they'd save perhaps 6 ounces a seat...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:34 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Another upside...no more of the loud, obnoxious commercials they’d play via the overhead speakers about buying DTV, getting the discount if paying for a couple, etc.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Good timing for this improvement - right before the big game
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Surprising - (not surprising) when a great positive announcement is so negative on here.

I prefer DTV to PDE as the PDE repeats for a long time.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:16 am

Any kind of announcements from an airline, particularly United, that includes the phrase : "will make traveling on them even more comfortable for our customers" goes right where it belongs. Into the trash bin. Another one "we listened to our customers" comes right behind it.
higher_flyer and narvik like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Free Direct TV is great. I suspect the revenue hit is minor as I rarely see anyone pay for it.
Miggles and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA
Great news, at least now I can look at the map if I want to without having to fiddle with the phone if I choose not to.

Honestly, what I really miss are the in-flight music options. I often listen to my own music but sometimes it's nice to plug in and hear something different.

Hopefully someday we'll see the full return of IFE on UA. The systems of old on the B737s with the flip-down screens wasn't so bad, and couldn't have added that much weight. And you can still offer the so-called "Personal Device Entertainment" for those who want to schlep out a laptop during flight.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
The United announcement came across my FB newsfeed this morning, and then on LinkedIn I saw a quote by Richard Branson that I think is very relevant to all service industries.

Look after your employees well and they will look after your customers.

I was asking my students in a Managerial Accounting class about companies that have done well in a disruptive business environment and those that have failed. Think Block Buster and Net Flix, taxis and Uber, and then we talked about the importance of the customer - easier to keep an existing customer than find a new one. They then highlighted the difference of their travel experience with SouthWest vs United/American/Delta. United has been impacted by LCC and they chose to go down the LCC path. Wonder what would happen if United were to empower their employees and make them feel supported and appreciated? I know there are pilots and supervisors that attempt to do this but do not think it is embedded in the United culture. Think there would be a greater bang for the buck if the management team at United appreciated and listened to the customer facing staff - am sure they would say provide a little more shoulder room in the Y seats, make Direct TV available to everyone, reward us for OTA not OTD....they work with the pax and know and hear us but they are unable to effect change as they are not valued by management. Something to be said for the Toyota philosophy of listening to the employees who actually do the work. Something to be said for valuing your employees as valued employees will make the customer experience all the better. Companies that provide differentiation can command a higher premium.
I've been advocating for this approach for years - and it's almost been universally poo-poo'd. Unfortunately, service quality and putting the customer ahead of investors and making employees empowered to take care of customers is not something anyone at United is going to try. Kirby's hiring is proof of that - just another mind-numbing journey to quarterly-metrics-land. Only one thing seems to matter to UA leadership - metrics that make Wall Street analysts happy.

Onboard space will never change, it can only get worse - and smiling flight attendants cannot make up for an uncompetitive product.

What United (and before it, Continental) taught me is this: every time the company promises me "an enhancement" or "improvement", my only reaction is to brace myself for getting screwed on something else, so I set my expectations accordingly.
Billygreg and 1kEA like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 1, 2019 at 1:26 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
Free Direct TV is great. I suspect the revenue hit is minor as I rarely see anyone pay for it.
I have, personally, never paid. And I have only seen a handful of people actually pay. Typically on longer flights. And I've seen the credit card readers have issues. FAs had to cover the CC with a napkin, or slide back and forth very slowly. Seemed like they were more trouble than they were worth.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Great news, I always though that this should have been the "future" of IFE after the old days with the tv screens with fixed content. It would be nice of it was available on more planes.

I wonder how the current advertisers feel about this free DTV announcement. I assume this means viewership of the welcome channel we go down to pretty much zero. Also viewership the hemispheres tv show. I guess it is still available on the wifi.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just hope they start the movies soon after the safety briefing instead of 15-20 minutes of the looping trailer.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Another upside...no more of the loud, obnoxious commercials they’d play via the overhead speakers about buying DTV, getting the discount if paying for a couple, etc.
That bothered you? The whole ad only took ten or 12 minutes to play.

It would be an even better enhancement if they took DTV out entirely, but I guess free is better than nothing.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Doppy

It would be an even better enhancement if they took DTV out entirely, ....
Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.