Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhanced customer service commitment including free DirecTV on all DTV A/C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced customer service commitment including free DirecTV on all DTV A/C.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:38 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator Note.

The thread title has been edited to feature the free DirecTV initiative. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what they are taking away this time - remember the 1K preboard was followed by increased PQD requirements for 1K...

I also wonder if they have reached the point of the DirecTV arrangement where it does not cost them much to provide the content?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
We're also excited about some improvements (which we'll announce later this year) that will make traveling on them even more comfortable for our customers.
I suppose it's an old joke to say improvements that we won't like, but with the ongoing sardinization of every plane it's hard to imagine a reversal of this course that would genuinely make the planes more comfortable (or less uncomfortable).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Don't care about on time departures.Care about an on time arrival, in a schedule that doesn't have ridiculous padding.
yeah When you’re runnning like mad to make one of those flights with the padded schedules and the door is closed early while you stand watch in the terminal for the next 30 minutes frustrated they would not let you board.....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 30, 2019 at 9:56 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I'm wondering if live TV streaming-via-wifi is coming next on PDE-only aircraft. That would be a very substantial improvement I'd be very happy to see.
Air Houston and jasonp622 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
DTV, free a coke,that's free you want the whole can, that's gonna cost you a glare sir!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
When do the first FOX News related kerfuffles start?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
it always seemed to me that DTV had very few takers in Y. In F many would watch for free. I’m wondering if the revenue wasn’t enough to maintain the collection system and rather than pull he whole thing they’ll just give it for free until it dies. Isn’t it sponsored by someone anyway? Chase?

I have some TV dirty pleasures and can get my fix it Off the Grid or other mindless stuff that makes the time pass.
MysteryTour likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by milepig
it always seemed to me that DTV had very few takers in Y. In F many would watch for free. I’m wondering if the revenue wasn’t enough to maintain the collection system and rather than pull he whole thing they’ll just give it for free until it dies. Isn’t it sponsored by someone anyway? Chase?

I have some TV dirty pleasures and can get my fix it Off the Grid or other mindless stuff that makes the time pass.
the mtc./FAA certiification on the stripe readers can't be free
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:11 am

I'd be far more impressed if they took out a few rows of seats to make the economy experience humane. It's disgusting how they (and others) cram in the seats now.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by worldtrav
I'd be far more impressed if they took out a few rows of seats to make the economy experience humane. It's disgusting how they (and others) cram in the seats now.
I'd rather go for more shoulder room
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A few more details on the complimentary DirecTV change
United Airlines Offers Customers Free Live TV
Customers can now enjoy complimentary seat back live DIRECTV and movies on more than 200 aircraft
CHICAGO, Jan. 30, 2019

-- Just in time for the Big Game, United Airlines today announced that effective immediately more than 100 channels of live television will now be free on 211 Boeing 737 United aircraft equipped with seat back TV, making viewing easy gate-to-gate. In addition to offering free live DIRECTV at more than 30,000 seats, United customers also have access to hundreds of movies and TV shows available on personal devices through the airline's collection on the United app – offering customers thousands of hours of programming in total.

"This year, we will be introducing a series of innovations and improvements designed to help build a great experience for all our customers," said United's Chief Customer Officer Toby Enqvist. "Offering free entertainment, whether it's on seat back TV or on personal devices, is one example of how we are placing our customers at the heart of what we do and helping them to relax and enjoy their flights."

"We're pleased that United is offering customers complimentary access to live TV on more than 200 of its aircraft so customers can feel like they're sitting in their own living rooms enjoying DIRECTV," said Roman Pacewicz, chief product officer, AT&T Business. "Whether they want to tune into their favorite primetime show or their favorite sports team, United customers won't miss a moment with free DIRECTV programming."

Personal Device Entertainment
Over the last year, United has also expanded its personal device entertainment product to aircraft that previously only offered DIRECTV, providing an option for customers to use their phones, tablets or laptops to access a library of more than 280 complimentary movies and TV shows.

Accessibility
Additionally, United has made improvements in its entertainment options for customers with hearing and mobility issues through its Accessible Entertainment menu category available on seat back on-demand systems. Accessible Entertainment offers customers entertainment options by grouping titles that are either audio descriptive or closed captioned under one menu. United currently offers more than 20 audio descriptive movies and TV shows and more than 50 with English closed captioning. Select DIRECTV channels also include closed captioning, subject to programming availability.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jp12687
Except the vast majority of their planes do not feature DTV .....
DTV is on almost one third of the mainline fleet.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
The United announcement came across my FB newsfeed this morning, and then on LinkedIn I saw a quote by Richard Branson that I think is very relevant to all service industries.

Look after your employees well and they will look after your customers.

I was asking my students in a Managerial Accounting class about companies that have done well in a disruptive business environment and those that have failed. Think Block Buster and Net Flix, taxis and Uber, and then we talked about the importance of the customer - easier to keep an existing customer than find a new one. They then highlighted the difference of their travel experience with SouthWest vs United/American/Delta. United has been impacted by LCC and they chose to go down the LCC path. Wonder what would happen if United were to empower their employees and make them feel supported and appreciated? I know there are pilots and supervisors that attempt to do this but do not think it is embedded in the United culture. Think there would be a greater bang for the buck if the management team at United appreciated and listened to the customer facing staff - am sure they would say provide a little more shoulder room in the Y seats, make Direct TV available to everyone, reward us for OTA not OTD....they work with the pax and know and hear us but they are unable to effect change as they are not valued by management. Something to be said for the Toyota philosophy of listening to the employees who actually do the work. Something to be said for valuing your employees as valued employees will make the customer experience all the better. Companies that provide differentiation can command a higher premium.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Don't need free DirectTV, just fix the Internet access please and that will be a "change I like". At least 50% of my flights now can't connect to the internet and that is what I want. The PDE almost always works and I can get on the United app to see the flight map and gate arrival or connections. But I need to be online to stay up with email etc and the complete crapshoot it is now (and I won't mention the ridiculous pricing) is beyond frustrating. PLEASE FIX THE INTERNET. Thank you.
cawhite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.