Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Seat selection now available on Mileage Plus AC award tickets {does not always work!}

Seat selection now available on Mileage Plus AC award tickets {does not always work!}

Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I just booked an award ticket on Air Canada and, for the first time, I was able to select seats after the award ticketed. The new seat map matched AC's 789 business cabin pods and the booking now shows the seats I selected.

Perhaps adding this new functionality is what destroyed the seat allocations on United's 3 class 777s bookings over the weekend?
Nesta likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
My SO is on an AC award this May/June and I changed her seats on the TATL AC legs a few weeks ago on UA's site, so this is not a change that just happened. When booked last year we had to call in to AC to select seats.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Can you also select seats on code share AC flights or is it just Award? This is a great thing. Calling AC was always a nightmare for the long waits.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Nothing on revenue codeshare booked as UA flight number (Y) and nothing on longhaul award (J)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting. I booked a flight DEN-YYZ-CDG for June quite sone time ago. I had to call AC to get my seat assignments. The seat assignments never updated on the United site, so there's a discrepancy between the two systems.
I just looked via the app, and it shows the ability to select seats, but has my AC-assigned seats blocked. I'm really curious as to what my eventual seat assignments will be.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw this a week ago but the changes I made on the UA site did not reflect on AC - no error messages or anything.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:42 am

I checked my itinerary again, and the apparent ability to select seats has disappeared.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:45 am

Does anyone know if the new AC seat selection tool on UA allows you to select E+ seating if you're an elite? Travelling from SFO to YYZ on a AC codeshare ticketed by UA last month I wasn't able to select seats.

-James
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:03 am

Well, now the seat map is back. It still has different seat assignments than those showing on AC, however. Very confusing.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked a YVR-YEG-YYZ coach award on United site.

The site apparently let me select seats - but the seat selections do not stick, i.e. do not change the seats selected at all after you return to the itinerary. On AC site there is not even any seat assignment shown even though the system auto assigned us the last row seats.

Currently on a call to AC and the robot told me the current hold time is 20 min...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I just booked a YVR-YEG-YYZ coach award on United site.

The site apparently let me select seats - but the seat selections do not stick, i.e. do not change the seats selected at all after you return to the itinerary. On AC site there is not even any seat assignment shown even though the system auto assigned us the last row seats.

Currently on a call to AC and the robot told me the current hold time is 20 min...
wow, call load must be light tonight, or maybe AC finally decided they needed to hire more call center staff. my typical experience with AC this year is mostly 1 hour plus hold times - or 2-3 hours - or we won’t even put you on hold, call back some other time. I’m even more tired of hearing Michael Trembley’s voice (or whatever his name is) tell me about the long hold times - instead of wasting an execs time recording messages about long hold times, how about using that effort on hiring more folks, etc. <rant over>.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:44 pm

LPT: message @aircanada on twitter for seat assignments
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Note that seat selection can also be made for revenue AC flights with AC flight numbers booked on UA stock. (At least it could for me. Have YYZ-CPH booked on AC with a UA return ticketed on 016 and was able to pull up the correct seat map)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe

wow, call load must be light tonight, or maybe AC finally decided they needed to hire more call center staff. my typical experience with AC this year is mostly 1 hour plus hold times - or 2-3 hours - or we won’t even put you on hold, call back some other time. I’m even more tired of hearing Michael Trembley’s voice (or whatever his name is) tell me about the long hold times - instead of wasting an execs time recording messages about long hold times, how about using that effort on hiring more folks, etc. <rant over>.
Sounds like AC is much worse than Aeroplan which also has lengthy hold and often drop calls. Just had one happened earlier today when the system could not retrieve reservation details. The phone agent told me it was because TK changed schedule by 5 min and she went ahead to "fix" it, implied reissuing tickets to reflect the change. Well no new tickets ever come but the reservation details now is retrievable despite the initial screw up display remains screwed up... (the last segment of the itin shown twice, once right after the first segment and once at its right place, the last segment.) All partner sites show things correctly so I do not worry much about it, for now.

With AC tonight, I hang up after 20 min and still only the robot lady telling me Air Canada this and Air Canada that.

Will try some other time. May be UA agent can select seat - after all the seat map shows up with the UA booking.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 12, 2019 at 9:02 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
LPT: message @aircanada on twitter for seat assignments
Thanks but I rarely use twitter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.