Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where should I report this incident?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HockeyMom93
I was expecting a new set wrapped in a napkin. The reason I didn't use them, is based on the fact that I don't think they have soap in the galley so I don't feel they were cleaned properly. If they didn't have a new set in a napkin - I would have been happy to have plastic stuff from the back. I have NO interest in using silverware that has not been washed properly in the first place and then merely "rinsed" off. Since she never went in the restroom to even turn the water on, the only way she could have cleaned it was with bottled water on a paper towel.
The galley does have hot water. The lav does not. I would much rather they wash it in the galley with the hot water than take it into the germy lav to wash it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Do you knock before opening an unlock lav door on a plane? I never have and have not noticed others knocking either.
Never ,but I never try an open a door that is locked either, the OP is suggesting that the FA undid a locked door , which is
fairly common practice especially after take off, it is very unusual in my experience for them not to knock before opening- especially on the larger aircraft or if they were not
the ones who put the lock on (From outside ) in the first place
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Maybe mention the dirty silverware issue so if it's a recurring problem they can address it. I wouldn't bother with the lavatory or sparkling wine situation - I'm sure the FA will be far more careful opening the lav door going forward and I've had drink mixups here and there, sometimes it's just hard to hear people... confusing "sparking wine" with "sparking water" seems an easy mistake to make.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:42 pm

Years ago, when I was in college, my parents came to visit me and they stayed at the Holiday Inn adjacent to campus. I met them for breakfast, and I noticed that my fork had some dried up food residue on it. Probably dried up egg. My father called over the waitress, and she took the fork, walked away barely 10 feet, and in full view of us, she took her fingernail and scraped off the food residue from the fork, returned to our table, and proudly said "There, it's clean now!"

Needless to say, my father complained to the manager, and I grabbed a clean fork from an adjacent empty table. I don't know what happened to the waitress, but assume she was let go. Not long thereafter, the law school bought the Holiday Inn and converted it into a dorm for the law students.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
I don't know what happened to the waitress, but assume she was let go.
She was let go. She now works for United as an FA, and most likely worked OP's flight!

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:32 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I was expecting a new set wrapped in a napkin. The reason I didn't use them, is based on the fact that I don't think they have soap in the galley so I don't feel they were cleaned properly. If they didn't have a new set in a napkin - I would have been happy to have plastic stuff from the back. I have NO interest in using silverware that has not been washed properly in the first place and then merely "rinsed" off. Since she never went in the restroom to even turn the water on, the only way she could have cleaned it was with bottled water on a paper towel.
Soap isn't (unless it's added as a supplemental ingredient to some soaps) a disinfectant, it's a surfactant. All it does as soap is lower the surface tension between the water and the solids making removal easier. Oil also tends to stick to soap as well, but hot water effectively removes oil and grease also and if hot enough will act as a disinfectant.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
ask for a mini of gin or vodka and sterilize the flatware if you had a concern. Myself, I always wipe the flatware down before eating as there is a film on them but it is likely from either an acid rinse they use (to prevent protein films) or a chlorine sanitizer.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I didn't read anything to think a complaint is warranted. I've gotten dirty silverware many times (on aircraft, in restaurants, etc.) and the problem is resolved by asking for clean silverware, which you did. Whether it's also delivered with a napkin is trivial at best. I suggest you reserve complaints for more serious issues.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
All things considered.... they waited for you and didn't give away your F seat. I think you still came out ahead though I agree I'd be a little dismayed by the events, too.
traveling bijorn likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
My father called over the waitress, and she took the fork, walked away barely 10 feet, and in full view of us, she took her fingernail and scraped off the food residue from the fork, returned to our table, and proudly said "There, it's clean now!"
She must've watched old British sitcoms.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by fastair
Soap isn't (unless it's added as a supplemental ingredient to some soaps) a disinfectant, it's a surfactant. All it does as soap is lower the surface tension between the water and the solids making removal easier. Oil also tends to stick to soap as well, but hot water effectively removes oil and grease also and if hot enough will act as a disinfectant.
there is the alkaline kill effect of soaps, Bar soap is known for being alkaline (leftover lye does not wash out) and liquid soaps are also slightly alkaline the more concentrated they become (msds lists Dawn as pH of 9, and that is one of the milder liquid soaps out there). so the more alkaline the soap, the more bacterial kill you get. Dish detergents (different saponification process than soaps) also include alkalinizers for this effect.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
How is that possible? The light only turns on when the door is locked.
There is a sliding switch / mechanism along the door jamb that the cleaners use to turn on the lights (also activates the "OCCUPIED" sign). I've found on more than rare occasions that the cleaners forget to turn the lights off. So, the lights are on and the door is unlocked.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Incident?

Perhaps it's best reported here:

What's the Stupidest, Least Substantive UA-Related Thing You Can Complain About?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Baze
The galley does have hot water. The lav does not. I would much rather they wash it in the galley with the hot water than take it into the germy lav to wash it.
Hot water is available, and super annoying that lavs don't have a decent mixing valve. As much as I defend UA, this one is on UA and the catering company.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA
“I was expecting a new set wrapped in a napkin.”

By and large, FC galleys are not catered with extra complete napkin setups, BUT when catered for meal service they are provisioned with clean flatware, separated by type (forks, spoons, knives), sealed in a plastic bag, like 10 forks, 10 spoons, etc. Thus a FA can grab the needed item, such as when a pax drops theirs or, as reported it was dirty. Thus the FA will just bring you the needed item. It is nice to put it in a paper napkin for presentation, perhaps, but they aren’t washed off in the galley using the hot water tap and it was a new, clean spoon. As some have noted, the galleys do have quite hot water which comes from the coffee maker as a draw off tap...that’s how a cup of hot tea is made, for example.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.