Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019-2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Finding the *A Gold Logo in the UA app
IOS / Apple Phones
Does not show on the UA MP card for Apple devices BUT move to the Apple Wallet and it is displayed

Android phone, the front of the card is displayed with the *A Gold logo and tapping on the card just shows the back. So on the Android the *g logo is there .
If too small or the agent, you can as discussed in Jan 2019
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On the Android phones you can triple-tap to magnify, other phone OSs likely have similar functions.
or screen save to the gallery and zoom in on the logo

The app UC card does not have the *A lounge logo as the physical UC card is required for entrance into partner lounges
Print Wikipost

Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019-2020]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:20 pm

Just completed a number of trips last month on * partners and have a ton of lounge access reports to share. To summarize, I have yet to encounter any lounge deny my entry let alone demand to see a card (digital or otherwise):
  • Mar 16, 2019 - SQ lounge @ LHR
  • Mar 20, 2019 - *A lounge & AC MLL @ LAX
  • Mar 21, 2019 - TK lounge @ IAD
  • Mar 25, 2019 - AC MLL @ YUL
  • Mar 31, 2019 - AC MLL (DOM & TB) @ YYZ, LH @ EWR, SK @ EWR, AC MLL @ EWR, UC @ EWR
Everywhere I went a simple scan of the boarding pass did the trick (even at the LH lounge at EWR which is notorious for being overcrowded). Ironically the only lounge that gave me issues was the UC at Term C. I scanned the boarding pass and the reader hanged. A couple minutes later they managed to get the boarding pass reader to work correctly.

I will try to post detailed reviews of the various lounges over the coming days (time permitting). Hope these data points provide some validation to UA's theory that physical cards are useless nowadays!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:45 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
The problem still seems to be LH lounges located in Germany (as opposed to the LH lounge at EWR). Those dragons nearly always require a physical card if you are a *A member (but not if you belong to Miles and More).
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
The problem still seems to be LH lounges located in Germany (as opposed to the LH lounge at EWR). Those dragons nearly always require a physical card if you are a *A member (but not if you belong to Miles and More).
I haven't had to show it at any LH lounges in the past couple of years.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:28 am

Just to let you know, in Thailand it is never a problem. I travel both internationally and domestically in BKK and I never have to show my card to get lounge access. Even in Phuket and Chiang Mai, I never have to show my card. Safe Travels to all!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I haven't had to show it at any LH lounges in the past couple of years.
This. Scanning of the UA boarding pass was all it took. (FRA, MUC, CGN, TXL, HAM, STR)
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:46 am

I plan on travelling to Switzerland later this month to do some hiking and will report back my experiences at the various LH Group lounges I encounter in Europe proper (i.e. LHR, FRA, ZRH, etc.). I will attempt to take the most screwed up routing so as to ensure I maximize my lounge visits to those lounges.

One thing that is unclear to me, is whether the type of boarding pass you have causes the degree of scrutiny going up. For instance, if I show them a BP for a LH or LX flight perhaps they are less suspicious than someone showing a UA boarding pass? Just a thought (and one I'll confirm in June when I fly LHR > LAX on UA).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
Really? Never had that issue with LH lounges in FRA or MUC. They scan my BP and usher me right in. Never really had to show my UA 1K card. But again, all my flights have arrived in FRA/MUC before the morning rush. They might be more stringent when it gets crowded to ensure stragglers don't take advantage of the rush.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
With LH I think there's a specific case where they require cards, but they accept the digital card iirc. I recall that when I used to fly YYZ-FRA-TXL RT, the AC issued LH BP would often require a card at FRA lounges whereas the LH issued ones would not
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
I was in FRA 4 times in the past couple months -- nobody wanted to see my card. I just scanned my BP.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
In my experience, as long as the *G FF info is on the boarding pass, should be a-okay.

Most recently went through Schengen LH lounge at MUC, my boarding pass was scanned through and no issues.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:06 am

Success at LHR

Travelling on Swiss light fare this morning from LHR to GVA. Scanned boarding pass from Swiss app and dragon gave me coupon to open the door for the Senator lounge section.

However I did notice this warning:

Evidently I was departing from a T2B gate (B36) but was no issue with dragon. I'm surprised that LX flights depart from there!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
One thing that is unclear to me, is whether the type of boarding pass you have causes the degree of scrutiny going up. For instance, if I show them a BP for a LH or LX flight perhaps they are less suspicious than someone showing a UA boarding pass? Just a thought (and one I'll confirm in June when I fly LHR > LAX on UA).

Safe Travels,

James
Travelling on Swiss light fare this morning from LHR to GVA. Scanned boarding pass from Swiss app and dragon gave me coupon to open the door for the Senator lounge section.
To be honest I wouldn’t bother reporting back on these successes . For years entry into LH /LX lounges with A* BPs has not been a problem.

Denials would be more newsworthy (as was the intention of this thread). I suspect these are more likely to occur in contract lounges or with the EW issue
AeRoSpaceman and zeer0 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I would say that maybe 1 out of every 5-10 times I visit an LH lounge in Frankfurt, I am asked to show my card. This is usually by the person waiting outside of the door to the lounge with the scanner. Definitely not as often as it used to happen.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Evidently I was departing from a T2B gate (B36) but was no issue with dragon. I'm surprised that LX flights depart from there!

Safe Travels,

James
LX almost never departs from B, the A gates must have been full.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Planning to fly SAS through CPH this summer and crediting to UA while using my OZ *G for lounge access. My status renews in summer as well, so won't have a valid physical card on the way back. Will SAS be ok with just the digital card on my phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.