Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019-2020]

Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Finding the *A Gold Logo in the UA app
IOS / Apple Phones
Does not show on the UA MP card for Apple devices BUT move to the Apple Wallet and it is displayed

Android phone, the front of the card is displayed with the *A Gold logo and tapping on the card just shows the back. So on the Android the *g logo is there .
If too small or the agent, you can as discussed in Jan 2019
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On the Android phones you can triple-tap to magnify, other phone OSs likely have similar functions.
or screen save to the gallery and zoom in on the logo

The app UC card does not have the *A lounge logo as the physical UC card is required for entrance into partner lounges
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

As it appears UA will not be providing UA Premier Gold cards for 2019, not even on request, there are concerns of being denied admission to *A lounges.
UA is saying your BP with *G status showing or the using of the UA virtual membership card in the UA app should be sufficient for admission.

Let's focus on collecting reports AFTER 1 January 2019 of admission denials to see if there is a pattern.

If denied, please report
-- Date
-- Location, lounge operator
-- Did your BP have *G status visible? If not, did you ask to add your UA MP account to the PNR and request a new BP?
-- Did you try the UA app virtual membership card?
-- Were you provided an explanation for the denial?
-- Did you request an escalation to a supervisor? If so, did that change the situation?
-- Have you written a message to UA about this? and UA responses (if any)

Please let's focus on actual denials, not fears of such AND only actual recent experiences (not what happened last year or years ago).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:42 am Reason: additional inputs
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...- Have you written a message to UA about this...
...and UA response (if any).

Good thread idea. Although got card as 1K, I’d rather not have fish it out of my travel go-pouch.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA MM
Is this thread worthy of a "Wiki" tag?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Maybe, depending on if anyone, or how many, get denied entry.

Would be helpful if the new United app allowed a full size showing of the front of the virtual status cards...
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The tag will show up automatically if somebody adds a wiki to this post.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Would be helpful if the new United app allowed a full size showing of the front of the virtual status cards...
if you add to your wallet you get a full size digital copy
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
if you add to your wallet you get a full size digital copy
So it's limited to iOS?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So it's limited to iOS?
On the Andriod phones you can triple-tap to magnify, other phone OSs likely have similar functions.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
on Android, new app only displays the back of the card, regardless of single or triple tap.

How do I "add it to my wallet" on iOS?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DouglasKelly
on Android, new app only displays the back of the card, regardless of single or triple tap. ...
You need to enable triple tap magnification -- under accessibility, vision.

More on this in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...available.html (and how to use the iOS wallet).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to enable triple tap magnification -- under accessibility, vision.

More on this in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...available.html (and how to use the iOS wallet).
Neat, I never new that was there. However, it doesn't increase the native resolution the app uses for the small card, so it would be preferable if United updated the display to show the front view again in full size.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Edinburgh Airport - Would not let me in with a digital card (this is a contract lounge - Aspire). Luckily had my soon-to-expire 1K card on me.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Shouldn't an expired card still be acceptable? Don't they just need your FF# so they can look you up in their computer system?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
Edinburgh Airport - Would not let me in with a digital card (this is a contract lounge - Aspire).
What airline were you flying? Was your UA FF number on the ticket?

I was there a month ago and they just needed to see my ticket.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:55 pm

Great thinking in setting up this thread WineCountry!

It may also make sense to know a few more things:
  • Did the person being denied show their (now expired) physical UA Elite card?
  • What airline you were flying (i.e. your UA card won't be helpful getting you into a LH lounge if you're flying AS)
  • Itinerary (at least high level like USA -> USA) to determine if denial was due to intricacies of *Lounge Access Policy or the actual freakin' card
  • Status level of Traveller (i.e. UA Gold, UA Platinum, UA 1K, GS, etc.)
  • If you showed the UA Virtual Card was it up to date and did it display the *Gold logo on it?
If this thread unfortunately becomes popular, I may create a spreadsheet to track the issues. It may also be useful reporting the successes as well since I hear the LH Group is very finicky with admission and knowing their reasoning why you got in can be helpful for those fighting to get in in the first place. It may also be useful to track how often you were challenged to produce a card (virtual or otherwise). I'll leave it up to the fine tastes of the OP to determine what's the best approach to tracking these issues (and successes)

When I spoke to UA early this in January about the lack of physical card, the agents I spoke to told me specifically that UA has an agreement with the various lounge operators now in effect that the mere presentation of the virtual card along with your boarding pass on a * flight should grant you access to the relevant * lounges. If you receive pushback from the lounge operators, remind them of the agreement (and get a supervisor involved if need be).

Safe Travels,

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.