Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019]

Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019]

Old Feb 1, 19, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
You need to enable triple tap magnification -- under accessibility, vision.

More on this in Redesigned United App -- Now Available! (and how to use the iOS wallet).
For the Android app specifically - would zooming in even help? (what I see in my profile in the app is a generic 1k card - no name, or account number - tapping on it brings me to a "back" view with my name/account and a barcode - but the personalized info is in text above the image of the back of the card). My physical card has my name/account number/exp. date (plus the apparently necessary *G logo) on the front. If I remember correctly, the old app showed a personalized 1k card (with name + MP number).
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
For the Android app specifically - would zooming in even help? (what I see in my profile in the app is a generic 1k card - no name, or account number - tapping on it brings me to a "back" view with my name/account and a barcode - but the personalized info is in text above the image of the back of the card).....
I suspect that was UA reasoning for providing just the backside in the larger format. However, with the *G symbol on the front side, some wanted to make it larger and the triple tap magnification does that
My physical card has my name/account number/exp. date (plus the apparently necessary *G logo) on the front. If I remember correctly, the old app showed a personalized 1k card (with name + MP number).
Yes, that is a difference and I wonder how some agent will handle that change.
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
I suspect that was UA reasoning for providing just the backside in the larger format. However, with the *G symbol on the front side, some wanted to make it larger and the triple tap magnification does that
Yes, that is a difference and I wonder how some agent will handle that change.
It just seems that if an image of your card with the *G symbol is what's needed, an actual picture of your card might be better than a screenshot of a generic card
Old Feb 1, 19, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
It just seems that if an image of your card with the *G symbol is what's needed, an actual picture of your card might be better than a screenshot of a generic card
except there are no UA Gold cards available for 2019. Plat / 1K / GS - yes, Gold - No
Old Feb 1, 19, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Global Services
I was slightly worried about this issue with the new upgraded app - not figuring out where my digital card lived on the new app. I see info on above threads how to 'locate' it so thanks to those who posted. I have a LH economy flight on February 7th and I would really very much like to use the lounge in Munich. Anyway, my GS pack was sitting with the doorman when I returned from work today, February 1st, how beautifully punctual of UA. I have put the card in my wallet...

Adam
Old Feb 1, 19, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, AA Gold, SQ Silver, Hyatt Global, Marriott Ti
I agree with United that a boarding pass works almost anywhere. But I sometimes have to credit flights to another *A carrier and want to use my United 1K status to get into the lounge. Since I'm often not home to pick up my physical card for months after 1/31. A digital card comes in handy.
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott/SPG Plat, National EE/Hertz PC
Boarding pass usually works anywhere. When they need more verification the digital UA card is fine (even in Tier 2/3 cities in China when I fly domestic Air China). Agents usually can look it up in the computer using my MP # as well.

I have never been denied entry, but it does seem an actual card is faster, especially in smaller or off the beaten path airports.
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; DL Plat; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Marriott Plat; Global Entry
Eurowings. UA and NH *G customers get access to the Lufthansa Senator Lounges if flying Eurowings. But, Eurowings boarding passes donít show United status.

Iíve never had an instance flying Eurowings where I did not have to show my physical card.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:43 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
I'm sure someone will be making their own cards using photoshop... I don't think anybody will bother to make a fake physical card... but a fake virtual card takes no more than 60 seconds to make in photoshop and embed in the UA app.
Old Feb 2, 19, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
Eurowings. UA and NH *G customers get access to the Lufthansa Senator Lounges if flying Eurowings. But, Eurowings boarding passes don’t show United status.

I’ve never had an instance flying Eurowings where I did not have to show my physical card.
I fly EW frequently, and yes, you must show a card. However, the reader they use at LH lounges will read the bar code so I will be testing this out next time I fly EW now that I have dropped from plat to gold.

Originally Posted by Kannai View Post
You're able to give feedback on the app through the app. I just used that to suggest they (1) make the front of the card full sized again and return the ability to add it to Apple Wallet and this time make it clearly show Star Alliance Gold status, which it didn't before.
My electronic card in my Apple Wallet covers 3/4 of the IPhone screen and the *A logo is clearly visible.
Kannai likes this.
Old Feb 2, 19, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by geometry View Post
I'm sure someone will be making their own cards using photoshop... I don't think anybody will bother to make a fake physical card... but a fake virtual card takes no more than 60 seconds to make in photoshop and embed in the UA app.
And that's why an actual physical card is much more user-friendly.

I suppose if/when they fully integrate all Star Golds into a single data base, it will help weed out fakes, but if every *Gold lounge anywhere in the world has access to it, how secure will it be? No, I'd prefer to have a physical card than to have my data in an unsecure data base.

Come on, United. Think of the customer for a change.
Old Feb 2, 19, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
What airline were you flying? Was your UA FF number on the ticket?

I was there a month ago and they just needed to see my ticket.
Eurowings. Which is another issue altogether.
Old Feb 2, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: United Gold MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Counsellor View Post

I suppose if/when they fully integrate all Star Golds into a single data base, it will help weed out fakes, but if every *Gold lounge anywhere in the world has access to it, how secure will it be? No, I'd prefer to have a physical card than to have my data in an unsecure data base.

Iím not sure airline membership number and status level alone is such sensitive information that we need to worry about it being in a common database.

If the entry desks desks watch you bring it up in real time on the app then itís not something that can be faked in PS.
Old Feb 2, 19, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Counsellor View Post

How do you think they verify a physical card if not via a database? They still have to make sure that the card is legit, and not forged, and the only way to do that is to have a database that verifies that the FFN on the physical card is in fact a *G.

Furthermore, I would expect that as far as the lounge staff are concerned, that database entries would be read-only. Only the airline holding the FF account should be able to modify the entries and furthermore, this should only be able to happen via systems that are authorized to modify it.
Collierkr likes this.
Old Feb 2, 19, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Remember the purpose of this thread is to report actual denials, let's try to stay true to that purpose.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
chavala and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread