Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

777 (all variants) seat map was missing, now back & seat assignments lost!

777 (all variants) seat map was missing, now back & seat assignments lost!

Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by chavala
The seat map for 2 of my flights ORD-FRA and return just came back now, same old 3 class plane, but no longer with my seat assignments, or anyone else’s. The entire FC and Biz cabins now show as empty except for the 1A crew rest.

On the app, I logged into the exact same interim seat map that was there before and seat that was there before but all other seats were unassigned. But on the browser my seat that still showed on the app seconds before was gone. Just switched on the browser from K to A, same row and it shows up as switched over on the app. If the person who was 20A checks soon, they can have my old 20K. But I'll be watching many times a day until the seats start filling back up in case they try to recreate the seat map based on what was there before they erased it.
findark likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
I recall when all of the seat assignments were lost in the recent past, it was temporary, and they were restored with 24 hours. I'm guessing this will happen and the new assignments will be wiped out, but doesn't hurt to pick seats just in case.
Kannai likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Check your assignments, interim came back, I got to keep 20B, wife got kicked to 34B (same PNR)
On another reservation, seems all assignments were blanked out.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Check your assignments, interim came back, I got to keep 20B, wife got kicked to 34B (same PNR)
On another reservation, seems all assignments were blanked out.
Thank you for letting us know. Mine were also blanked out. The weird thing is that my wife and I were able to choose any seat out of the 47 seats (the only unavailable one was the one reserved for the captain 1A). On one of the flights I was able to improve my seat from 1H to 2K. The other flight I chose the same 2K seat I had before. I could not choose the 1K seats as my wife chose her seats before I did and she was in 1K before the blanking out.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Thank you for letting us know. Mine were also blanked out. The weird thing is that my wife and I were able to choose any seat out of the 47 seats (the only unavailable one was the one reserved for the captain 1A). On one of the flights I was able to improve my seat from 1H to 2K. The other flight I chose the same 2K seat I had before. I could not choose the 1K seats as my wife chose her seats before I did and she was in 1K before the blanking out.
I wanted to change mine from 1K to 2K (the chatting FAs annoyed me last time), but even before I read post #32 I thought better of it.
If FlytheTail is right, and the “new” seat assignments get wiped out...
Maybe I’m being paranoid but I didnt have the nerve to mess with it!

Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
For all of the reasons posted above, I was checking my seat assignments on my 777 regularly. When I saw a completely empty seat map in J last night right before bed, I had a similar thought as upthread: "Some folks are going to be upset."

Still, I felt no compunction whatsoever assigning myself to 1K.

We'll see how it plays out over the course of the day (week?). Glad I could flag this for folks to babysit their seat assignments.
rch4u, wrp96 and chavala like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:10 am

I wanted to change mine from 1K to 2K (the chatting FAs annoyed me last time), but even before I read post #32 I thought better of it.
If FlytheTail is right, and the “new” seat assignments get wiped out...
Maybe I’m being paranoid but I didnt have the nerve to mess with it!
You mean that you still had that seat 1K? My wife and I had no seats assigned and none of our fellow passengers had seats assigned. If they wipe it out again, we would be exactly at the same stage we were this morning. It's going to be two full months of having to babysit these reservations. The pain continues........
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
You mean that you still had that seat 1K? My wife and I had no seats assigned and none of our fellow passengers had seats assigned. If they wipe it out again, we would be exactly at the same stage we were this morning. It's going to be two full months of having to babysit these reservations. The pain continues........
No, I picked 1K again because I knew 2K was previouly taken.
I see your point about just being put back in our original seats if anything like this happens, but I’m sticking with my instict which has served me well these many years.
All 4 of my 777 seatmaps are back and completely empty of passengers except for me and the 1A crew rest.

Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:40 am

All 4 of my 777 seatmaps are back and completely empty of passengers except for me and the 1A crew rest.
Same for my flights. I checked the seat map like if I was making a reservation today for my travel dates. Can choose any seat with N-3 (the captain, my wife and myself). So, someone who is booking flights today will have the surprise of seeing an empty plane.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Even if they try to restore the old seatmap, whoever was assigned to 1A is now SOL. I saw little risk in trying to improve from 6A to 1K. As others have noted, there are just 3 assigned on my flight right now, including 2 in Y.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:42 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi Everyone,

Following a technology upgrade over the weekend there was an issue with seat maps for 24 of our 777-200 aircraft, where some customers lost their seat assignments. We’re working diligently on resolving the issue to place customers back in their original seats, and apologize for any inconvenience that may result from this issue.

- UA Insider

Last edited by UA Insider; Jan 27, 2019 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

Following a technology upgrade over the weekend there was an issue with seat maps for 24 of our 777-200 aircraft, where some customers lost their seat assignments. We’re working diligently on resolving the issue to place customers back in their original seats, and apologize for any inconvenience that may result from this issue.

- UA Insider
Thank you for this communication!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I can see some poor intern coming into work on Monday. To find a huge printout in the cubbie with a note. “we accidentally lost the seat assignments for 5,000 flights. Here’s the printout, please renter them.” Starts and discovers some seats have taken by others. Decides to just make it up and create pretty patterns on the seat maps.
coolbeans202 and Kannai like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Seatmaps for 3-class 772 are now back to unavailable. Interesting to see how this turns out.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Seatmaps for 3-class 772 are now back to unavailable. Interesting to see how this turns out.
Hmmm... could try to restore the Friday (24 Jan 2019) "backup" for those affected flights -- if such a thing exists in a useable format -- to reconstruct the state on Friday before the issue
BUT all seat assignments made in the last 36? hours would be lost.

Damn if you do, damn if you don't

Consequences of dropping a few bits on the floor during an update and unfortunately not the first customer-facing glitch.

Plus the passenger's affected appear to be the front of the plane folks, not the ones to you want to feel abused.
chavala likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.