Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Chicago Winter Weather (January 27, 2019 - February 1, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Chicago Winter Weather (January 27, 2019 - February 1, 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mdbe
actually in the same boat. They did go ahead and automatically move me to a ATL-IAH-ORD. Trying a SDC won’t pull up any of the reinstated ATL-ORD’s though.
If you really want to go on a direct flight, you should call. Maybe your fare is not available to do it on the app but since they switched you they should switch you back if there's a seat available.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:45 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Agent in the GS check-in lounge this AM said all UX flights are cancelled today and ~15% of mainline flights proactively cancelled due to light loads. I'm waiting for my EWR flight to connect down to MIA. 6AM EWR was killed and second one went out 30 minutes late. All the equipment is in place/on the way so hopefully I'll get out.

B6 lounge is probably ~60 degrees, which is the perfect temp for me but probably the first time I have ever been a little chilly while at ORD.
mdbe likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by LIH
Agent in the GS check-in lounge this AM said all ORD UX flights are cancelled today
ASE usually has three UAL flights a day to and from ORD in the winter.
(01/30/19) UA5643 the 13:06 departure to ORD is cancelled but there is a flight UA 1361 ASE-BNA ( ferry flight) at 13:06 (I am guessing) to position an aeroplane in Nashville to allow a BNA to ORD flight tomorrow (1/31/19)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
It does not seem to be just UA. AA has had rolling ground stops for ORD since this morning. Both mainline and express.

What is also weird is that UA would cancel all flights on specific routes instead of operating 1 or 2 , eg. bna, bhm, cha, atl...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:25 am

Chicago building code requires heating systems to be speced for -10 F outdoors. Obviously most systems are over spec but if it's -20 F and super windy with lots of opening/closing doors sometimes they struggle to keep up.

Frankly 60-65 F inside is perfect in winter because everyone is wearing sweaters. I hate it when it's 75 F and I have to strip down.
mdbe likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by threeoh
Frankly 60-65 F inside is perfect in winter because everyone is wearing sweaters. I hate it when it's 75 F and I have to strip down.
And I hate it even more in the summer when some lounges are real cold (maybe the offenders were not in ORD) and I forgot to bring a sweater.

Winter is not a good season for flying through ORD. I think from my outstation, there has already been 3 days where all the flights to ORD were cancelled in 2019.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
It's interesting UA did not cancel any of the longhaul flights despite the light loads - I thought it might have been advantageous for UA to consolidate certain flights into widebodies. I guess there are enough inbound passengers on the return which justified sending out empty 772s to Asia.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 764toHI
It's interesting UA did not cancel any of the longhaul flights despite the light loads - I thought it might have been advantageous for UA to consolidate certain flights into widebodies. I guess there are enough inbound passengers on the return which justified sending out empty 772s to Asia.
Looks like 851 (PEK) and 895 (HKG) are making stops in SFO. Was thinking maybe fuel stops of some sort due to the headwind heading north and those flights already nearing the 772's range, but 835 (PVG) seems to be OK with making the trek.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rolltribe
Looks like 851 (PEK) and 895 (HKG) are making stops in SFO. Was thinking maybe fuel stops of some sort due to the headwind heading north and those flights already nearing the 772's range,
Wouldn't that also affect the ultra-longhaul Asia flights from EWR?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:34 pm

Why are flights stopping on their way out from O'Hare?

Just noticed that flight 1213 tonight from Chicago to San Francisco is stopping in Denver. Any idea why? Doesn't seem like a fuel issue if they could get a flight to Shanghai out.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Those occasionally make stop, albeit rare, but this jet stream is going straight south through the midwest. EWR flights today can likely avoid it.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Looks like 851 (PEK) and 895 (HKG) are making stops in SFO. Was thinking maybe fuel stops of some sort due to the headwind heading north and those flights already nearing the 772's range, but 835 (PVG) seems to be OK with making the trek.
Could be a shortage of crew issue at ORD -- They could fly from ORD-SFO with two fight officers, then change crews for the augmented crew there.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chitraveler1975
Just noticed that flight 1213 tonight from Chicago to San Francisco is stopping in Denver. Any idea why? Doesn't seem like a fuel issue if they could get a flight to Shanghai out.
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Probably not a full explanation, but ORD is positioned to have its TPAC routes be uniquely punished by the polar vortex. NYT has a nice summary (link):

Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by chitraveler1975
ORD-LAX/SFO flights stopping in DEN. My best guess - not fully fueling planes to keep the refueling process shorter for ground grew then fly it to another hub where they can fuel the rest of the way.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:00 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
My ORD-DEN tomorrow is canceled. Rerouted ORD-CLT-DEN and went from F to Y.

UA is wide open on their ORD-DEN tomorrow, but AA won't book me on another airline because the cancellation was weather related. HUACA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.