Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Chicago Winter Weather (January 27, 2019 - February 1, 2019)

Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Chicago Winter Weather (January 27, 2019 - February 1, 2019)

Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:35 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rolltribe
Just posted:

...Interested to see what the "reduced schedule" entails. Guessing lots of UAX flights get axed.
Was supposed to do ORD <> MCI today and both my outbound and return on UX were toast despite it not being all that cold this AM. Undoubtedly cutting UX flights to manage overall volume. Meanwhile, I am due to fly to MIA tomorrow mid-day and pretty concerned about that one given that it will be -40 or worse windchill at that point. No real flexibility in that travel so no choice but to ride it out.

It has been a bad luck winter for me so far, especially given that weather in Chicago really hasn't been that bad. Ultimately just means a few weeks of crushed travel for me in Feb/Mar to make up for a bunch of sideways business trips.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA MM
Just talked to an agent here at the UC in ORD. UA might cancel all operations at ORD tomorrow (1/30) due to the extreme cold. Supposedly a decision will be make at 6 PM CST today.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Just talked to an agent here at the UC in ORD. UA might cancel all operations at ORD tomorrow (1/30) due to the extreme cold. Supposedly a decision will be make at 6 PM CST today.
This is so weird. With snow and other storms, the predictions are often in flux until 6-12 hours before. But with this cold weather, that's not the case.

I've read the NWS forecast discussion and it is extremely solid and has been for days, both on temperature and wind. The biggest question seems to be a matter of a few degrees F based on how much cloud cover there is (which affects radiative cooling).

Seems if they were going to cancel everything, they should have done it on Sunday and given people time to make alternate plans.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by threeoh
...Seems if they were going to cancel everything, they should have done it on Sunday and given people time to make alternate plans.
Travel waiver went up Sunday, allowing people time to make alternative plans based on their own assessments of what might happen. United can’t win. Cancel everything and find out operations were possible or not cancel everything and make decision at last minute only to find operations aren’t possible.

Last year, there was a “sure thing” hurricane that was going to hit Maui (forecast for 3+ days). Hurricane fizzled out and operations were possible. Hawaiian intra-island flights kept going. I’m pretty sure there were annoyed people on United flights wondering why UA didn’t wait until later to make cancellation decision.
rmadisonwi likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:38 pm

Fair point about the waiver, which allows people to make their own assessment.

Hurricanes and other storms are notorious for switching direction or dissipating at the last minute. I still think the degree of confidence about this cold snap -- enough, apparently, for them to fly in rampers from other cities to work relief shifts -- has not changed appreciably from 6pm Monday to 6pm Tuesday.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Travel waiver went up Sunday, allowing people time to make alternative plans based on their own assessments of what might happen. United can’t win. Cancel everything and find out operations were possible or not cancel everything and make decision at last minute only to find operations aren’t possible.

Last year, there was a “sure thing” hurricane that was going to hit Maui (forecast for 3+ days). Hurricane fizzled out and operations were possible. Hawaiian intra-island flights kept going. I’m pretty sure there were annoyed people on United flights wondering why UA didn’t wait until later to make cancellation decision.

It isn't just cold here in Chicago - it's damn cold. And to add to the fun there are on and off little snow showers that with the extreme cold don't have a chance of melting so it just blows around in the wind. it's already grim at 4 degrees and at least partly sunny. Overnight tonight and tomorrow I don't want to think about. Just like we're closing, I'm sure protection of the UA staff has something to do with the decision - no one should be out with temps below -20 and windchill around -50. It just isn't safe.

We first planned to reopen on Thursday at the regular time, but now that we're getting better hourly forecasts we realize that Thursday will begin at just about the coldest temps and are rethinking exactly when we'll reopen that day. The roads are fine, the issue is that no one should be trying to get into work in that cold.

Last edited by milepig; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
My 6am flight was just canceled. I bet they close the whole thing
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:21 pm

Currently -27 F in Winnipeg and those flights are going out fine :-p

(YES, I realize operating a hub is different than an outstation and YES, I realize that YWG ramp staff as well as other airport staff and passengers are more acclimated / better prepared to handle that, though I think it's pretty cold even for Manitoba. I can actually understand UA going either way on this, just don't understand why they are waiting till the last minute.)

Temps will be brutal Thurs morning but wind will have died down a lot so windchill won't be as bad as Wednesday morning.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:34 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Heard the same thing as the poster up-thread that they may shutter ORD entirely (from the GS desk). Loads are super-light because of the long lead-time here. My ORD > MIA flight 9/30 was already killed and re-routed via EWR. Didn't have the flexibility to get out today, unfortunately. Going to be a big headache for me if they shut down but mother nature is hard to bargain with.

Born-and-raised in Chicago and while -20-30 windchills aren't uncommon for a few days in the average winter... -50 is cray.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Per WSJ, UA is expecting to cancel about 500 of the roughly 600 departures tomorrow. WN has already pulled the plug on MDW. On a quick scan of statuses as of 7 CT, looks like most UAX are cancelled, and looks like mainline to non-hubs tomorrow cut roughly in half, with most hub flights and int'l safe. I'm sure more will be cancelled as we go on through the night and day.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Are there any mechanical issues that can arise from the weather being this cold? I figure unlikely, since the temperature at 35,000 feet is basically as cold, but yikes...wouldn’t want to be the ground staff in those temperatures and wind chills.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Are there any mechanical issues that can arise from the weather being this cold? I figure unlikely, since the temperature at 35,000 feet is basically as cold, but yikes...wouldn’t want to be the ground staff in those temperatures and wind chills.
Lots of pieces of machinery other than the planes that need to work in order for the flight to get out. Imagine the bitter cold takes its toll on tugs, fuel trucks, catering equipment, etc.
And yeah, I feel for the under wing staff...and especially if any de-icing is going on. Those folks on the exposed cherry pickers always look miserable.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Long convo about this over in this thread: UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Short answer: yes, it can cause problems, but doesn't necessarily.

And of course tugs, fuel trucks, jet bridges, etc. and under the wing staff moving more slowly and taking more warming breaks. Plus not all staff will be able to get the the airport, etc.

Airlines fly to Alaska, Canada, and Russia all the time. -20 F is not impossible to fly to, just takes more time, resources, and precautions.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Seems there's some back and forth going on - most of the ORD-ATL UAX flights were cancelled and while I rebooked myself to Thursday, it's interesting they've actually reinstated a few of them and have noted that in the detailed flight status info on the app "...has been reinstated and scheduled to depart at 09:50 AM. Your estimated time in Atlanta is 12:54pm/. We're sorry for any confusion, and appreciate your patience."

If they've done that with a bunch of flights I imagine there's quite a few confused pax right now. Not going to bother switching my flight back at this point but will be curious to see what they end up doing with them,
mdbe likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Seems there's some back and forth going on - most of the ORD-ATL UAX flights were cancelled and while I rebooked myself to Thursday, it's interesting they've actually reinstated a few of them and have noted that in the detailed flight status info on the app "...has been reinstated and scheduled to depart at 09:50 AM. Your estimated time in Atlanta is 12:54pm/. We're sorry for any confusion, and appreciate your patience."

If they've done that with a bunch of flights I imagine there's quite a few confused pax right now. Not going to bother switching my flight back at this point but will be curious to see what they end up doing with them,
actually in the same boat. They did go ahead and automatically move me to a ATL-IAH-ORD. Trying a SDC won’t pull up any of the reinstated ATL-ORD’s though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.