Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United claims Goose strike, Passenger sues because 'they're lying.'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United claims Goose strike, Passenger sues because 'they're lying.'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by CMK10
I can honestly say that's the worst written complaint I've ever read, and I've had to go up against a lot of pro se litigants. What a bunch of garbage.
Santa told me the plane actually hit his sleigh on a training run.
SFHokie likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Cracked windshield panes are not uncommon. I've had three in my career--all on Douglas airplanes (DC8, DC9). The windows have multiple panes and are designed to remain structurally sound when damaged. The Douglas airplanes had smaller window and you could continue to fly with a cracked pane (with some limitations).

I'm aware of only one instance when an airliner windshield pane failed completely. It was a British Airways BAC-111 in 1990 and was caused by the wrong bolts being used to installed the windshield. The entire window (in front of the Captain) departed the airplane in flight. The Captain was injured but returned to work five months after the incident.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That claim doesn't make any sense. If a window were to fail, it would fail outward due to the pressurization and low pressure from the air moving along the outside of the airplane. Pushing against it would not reinforce it, it would push it closer to failure.
Don't lawyers consult experts regarding the basic facts that they're alleging before filing a lawsuit?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Maybe the snowflake plaintiff gets sucked into a toilet and can claim emotional distress, blaming American Standard. Actually I hope he walks into a pole while texting and sues Apple for allowing him to be distracted.

UA isn't perfect, nobody is, but I've never met a pilot that would invent something in some grand coverup.
This. What he said!
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
At this rate UA may as well schedule a 3x weekly service to YYR with a 777 or 787 to pick up stranded passengers.

~~~

Edit: D'oh, just realized this happened last year, not this week.
That applies ANY TIME in recent years.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by clubord

From the suit, #4 of the summary of allegations is my personal favorite.

“Courageously, Flight 931’s co-pilot quickly pushed his weight against what was left of the third and last layer of the cockpit window, which may have prevented the entire window from breaking during the descent to Goose Bay. Had that last layer disappeared, both pilots would have likely been sucked out of the plane and Flight 931’s passengers would have been doomed.”

So from a seated, sealtbelted position the co-pilot was able to apply enough pressure from the inside of the window to counteract the force of a 500 mph wind vector from a B767 airplane in cruise to keep the remaining cockpit window in place?

Additionally, the window in question is on the left side of the aircraft. So this co-pilot courageously did this from the right seat of the plane? Or perhaps this heroic action was done while sitting on the Captain’s lap while he was at the controls also in the left seat (that must have been really awkward!)
Originally Posted by arttravel
The complaint mentions the plaintiff missing a flight from London to Zanzibar. I am not quite understanding the following allegation which I highlighted in bold"Incidentally, because Plaintiff heeded United’s direction to board his flight without a return ticket, when he arrived in Zanzibar, he was detained by the police there and interrogated for approximately one hour(with, bizarrely, the Zanzibar police officer opening Plaintiff’s luggage and wearing his clothes stored inside)."

Immigration tried on his clothes?

This reads like the screenplay for a new Airplane movie!

I can just picture Roger Murdock sitting in Captain Clarence’s lap. Of course the inflatable auto pilot would be flying the plane.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
This kind of thing seems like a precursor to make United rethink its recent move to “more accurate” and honest descriptions of flight delays we now see on flight status updates. I predict a return to generic labels in the future if there is any risk of liability from what may be reported.
None of the new more accurate reports I’ve seen were anywhere near problematic. I had about a 20 minute delay and the reason was (I’m paraphrasing). Flight delayed while our crew calculated a new route to avoid turbulence. How is this anything but laudatory?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:52 pm

Count me in also in the camp of "both the bird strike theory and the plaintiff's theory seem equally improbable".
findark likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I was joking with my comments earlier, but I can understand why some pilots turn off ch 9 now or not communicate anything. This lawsuit driven society we have is pathetic and embarrassing. I say that with a wife in the industry, albeit in criminal law.

Over the 40+ years that I have been flying on UA, I've had one emergency landing, a few go arounds, and maybe 20 or so nasty FA's. Not once, ever, did lawsuit enter my mind. UA is fully qualified to fly family any day of the week and twice on Sunday, and if by chance we get stuck in Goose Bay for a day, we will still fly with UA next week. I trust them.
RoyalFlush, SFHokie and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I was joking with my comments earlier, but I can understand why some pilots turn off ch 9 now or communicate anything. This lawsuit driven society we have is pathetic and embarrassing. I say that with a wife in the industry, albeit in criminal law.
Sadly, this. One 100% certainty out of this lawsuit is we now have 2 less pilots who elect to turn on Ch9.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by malgudi
Such as ???
I think we should defer judgment until we hear from the goose.
Twickenham and dkc715 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't lawyers consult experts regarding the basic facts that they're alleging before filing a lawsuit?
Sometimes I wonder... Unfortunately, everything I know about about the legal system was learned by watching LA Law and reading John Grisham novels!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I think we should defer judgment until we hear from the goose.
Unfortunately the goose needs to apply for a visa to go to the US, and the government is currently not accepting any applications.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The first thing they do when you enter law school is take your common sense away from you.
BB2220 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:36 am
Suspended

Remember, lawsuits are not always about winning...they are more often about settling. If United's legal team decides that there is any chance of losing, or that the costs of a defense are going to run high, they will throw money at it to make it go away and cut their losses.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LarryJ
... It was a British Airways BAC-111 in 1990 and was caused by the wrong bolts being used to installed the windshield. The entire window (in front of the Captain) departed the airplane in flight. The Captain was injured but returned to work five months after the incident.
There's a very good Mayday episode on that incident. The captain hanging outside the window for 20min, with the crew holding him in by the legs and still surviving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.