Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to UA Connection Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:17 am
Original Poster

UA to UA Connection Advice

I've currently got a LHR->LAX/EWR->LHR in Economy (No Changes/Refunds/Upgrades) booked all on UA metal and ticket stock (booked directly thru UA website). On the day of my return back to LHR from EWR I may end up having to fly to EWR from ORD on UA due to a prior engagement. My question is: given these are separate tickets but involve the same operating carrier (UA) would UA protect me in the unlikely event of a misconnect? I'm planning to leave at least a 2 hour layover in EWR which I suspect would exceed the MCT for that airport.

Any ideas?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As you probably know, you don’t have a connection, and thus MCT is not relevant. Whether two hours is enough to get off the plane, through immigration, pick up whatever luggage you have, then queue up again for TSA security, depends on many things, including what terminal you arrive at, the time of day, and your immigration status.

Officially UA doesn’t have to do anything for you, but my experience is that they’ll help you out if necessary. Personally I think it’s on the right side (and I connect through EWR a lot.)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I've currently got a LHR->LAX/EWR->LHR in Economy (No Changes/Refunds/Upgrades) booked all on UA metal and ticket stock (booked directly thru UA website). On the day of my return back to LHR from EWR I may end up having to fly to EWR from ORD on UA due to a prior engagement. My question is: given these are separate tickets but involve the same operating carrier (UA) would UA protect me in the unlikely event of a misconnect? ....
Formally no
But they will generally try to help and final a UA based solution,

No benefits like overnight lodging or rerouting on OAL or ....
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
As you probably know, you don’t have a connection, and thus MCT is not relevant. Whether two hours is enough to get off the plane, through immigration, pick up whatever luggage you have, then queue up again for TSA security, depends on many things, including what terminal you arrive at, the time of day, and your immigration status.

Officially UA doesn’t have to do anything for you, but my experience is that they’ll help you out if necessary. Personally I think it’s on the right side (and I connect through EWR a lot.)
Just to clarify my return itinerary may look like this:

ORD -> EWR -> LHR

My understanding is that there should be no security nor immigration I need to go thru since I'm coming from a UA Domestic. I would imagine that since ORD->EWR is hub-to-hub it would be served by UA mainline and would arrive in Terminal C (where my outbound EWR->LHR would be) meaning that it would just be a matter of me walking from one gate to the next. Correct me if I'm missing something here!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Formally no
But they will generally try to help and final a UA based solution,

No benefits like overnight lodging or rerouting on OAL or ....
At this point all I care about would be being put on the next UA flight (i.e. I believe there may be one departing an hour later) without having to shell money out of pocket and having to follow up with AmEx reimburse me later. I understand the risks in taking this approach, especially when dealing with ORD and EWR at the end of March (who knows what the weather'll be like there). So to summarize this is very much a case of YMMV and how well you treat the agents (something about attracting flies with honey or something...)?

-James
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:59 am
Suspended

Sorry, I misread, but the principle remains the same. They may help you but are not obligated to do so.

Also, check your Amex policy carefully if it covers self-connections. Even then, a one-way last minute to London is going to be very expensive, probably more than this policy covers.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I misread, but the principle remains the same. They may help you but are not obligated to do so.

Also, check your Amex policy carefully if it covers self-connections. Even then, a one-way last minute to London is going to be very expensive, probably more than this policy covers.
My Canadian AmEx Gold card (which I've booked the flights) covers up to $1,500 CAD for trip interruptions one of which is defined as:
Delay of your connecting carrier (passenger plane, ferry, cruise ship, bus, limousine, taxi or train), resulting from the mechanical failure of that carrier, a traffic accident, an emergency police-directed road closure, weather conditions, earthquakes

or volcanic eruptions, causing you to miss a connection or resulting in the interruption of yourtravel arrangements.
That being said, I'm going to assume that no one's got my back since I've booked things this way. Worst case scenario I'll redeem some Avios/ÉrrorPlan miles to get me back to Europe someway somehow (I hear award availability is great at the last minute!)

One other question I have : Will UA feel more compelled to rebook my LHR flight if I my inbound to EWR was UA and the mis-connect was due to UA's fault?

-James
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:29 am
Suspended

Yes, they would. To give you an example, a one-way today goes for USD1,734. A return is USD2,776.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM

If I am reading the OP correctly, he is going ORD to EWR TO LHR, and not from LHR to EWR to ORD. If that is correct, why would you say he has to go through immigration and TSA ? He would just get off the flight from ORD and walk to the LHR gate. It still is tricky with the flights not being on the same ticket.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
If I am reading the OP correctly, he is going ORD to EWR TO LHR, and not from LHR to EWR to ORD. If that is correct, why would you say he has to go through immigration and TSA ? He would just get off the flight from ORD and walk to the LHR gate. It still is tricky with the flights not being on the same ticket.
I acknowledged the mea culpa is post 5.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One other question I have : Will UA feel more compelled to rebook my LHR flight if I my inbound to EWR was UA and the mis-connect was due to UA's fault?
Indubitably.

However, the fact that you purchased the no-changes ticket may cause complications. There are sporadic reports of agents being less willing to be helpful on a BE ticket than they would on a non-BE ticket.

IMO, two hours is insufficient time, considering the timeframe and the airports you're looking at. I'd want a minimum of four before I'd really feel comfortable in this particular case. You can always hang out in the lounge...
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Just to clarify my return itinerary may look like this:

ORD -> EWR -> LHR

My understanding is that there should be no security nor immigration I need to go thru since I'm coming from a UA Domestic. I would imagine that since ORD->EWR is hub-to-hub it would be served by UA mainline and would arrive in Terminal C (where my outbound EWR->LHR would be) meaning that it would just be a matter of me walking from one gate to the next. Correct me if I'm missing something here!
That sounds right, although it's possible you could have a long walk or a shuttle. Correct no need for security (which you'll deal with in Chicago), and there's no immigration for outbound - just a passport check as you board (and perhaps if you check in).

Not sure if you're checking bags - UA should allow you to check them through to LHR in Chicago. If not, then you would need to go to the bag claim outside security, recheck, and go through security again.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Not sure if you're checking bags - UA should allow you to check them through to LHR in Chicago. If not, then you would need to go to the bag claim outside security, recheck, and go through security again.
There are recent reports that UA will not check bags through on separate tickets when one of them is BE. I'm not sure if that would apply to a "no changes" TATL fare or not, but it's something to keep in mind.
drewguy and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jsloan
There are recent reports that UA will not check bags through on separate tickets when one of them is BE. I'm not sure if that would apply to a "no changes" TATL fare or not, but it's something to keep in mind.
Yeah, good point. Though I believe the TATL "BE" fares come with one free checked bag, so if it's a UA policy to prevent circumventing the absence of a free bag that shouldn't apply (but if it's a technical issue then all bets are off). OP could presumably purchase a non-BE fare ORD-EWR and be eligible for a "free" bag on each leg.

Anyway, OP should bear in mind the possible need to recheck a bag at EWR if that's how he's rolling.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Yeah, good point. Though I believe the TATL "BE" fares come with one free checked bag.
They do not. In fact, the original name of the fare was "no changes/first checked bag fee."

Now, in OP's case, he's UA Gold so he wouldn't have to pay, regardless. But I think the prohibition on through-checking to/from BE was less about revenue and more about an additional punitive measure to take to try to get people not to purchase them.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
They do not. In fact, the original name of the fare was "no changes/first checked bag fee."

Now, in OP's case, he's UA Gold so he wouldn't have to pay, regardless. But I think the prohibition on through-checking to/from BE was less about revenue and more about an additional punitive measure to take to try to get people not to purchase them.
I may not even check a bag even though I could check upto 3 bags as UA Gold. At this point all I care about is that UA will rebook me on the next flight is my inbound UA flight gets delayed. Everything else including LH lounge access at EWR is a cherry on top!

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.