Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Seriously, for the IT geeks out there, how hard is it to look at the algorithm and work out the error? PZ is a fairly recent code.
As what could be considered an "IT geek", it could be pretty hard. There are almost certainly many pieces involved in getting that little number next to the PZ. It's not like there's going to be a PZ.c file which has everything involving PZ inventory in one place. There error could even be a side effect from some other unrelated change. And in fixing the problem, they would want to try to make sure they don't break anything else.

And if you think United's IT is bad - there's way worse out there. They're not even close to the worst.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by thesun
As what could be considered an "IT geek", it could be pretty hard. There are almost certainly many pieces involved in getting that little number next to the PZ. It's not like there's going to be a PZ.c file which has everything involving PZ inventory in one place. There error could even be a side effect from some other unrelated change. And in fixing the problem, they would want to try to make sure they don't break anything else.
When there are problems with revenue inventory display, they are fixed in a matter of hours.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I found a flight that showed P9 PN9 PZ0 IN1 I1, so I called the 1K desk. They told me they saw PZ5 for the same flight. That's reassuring in that it would appear to be a website bug rather than an actual zeroing out of all PZ inventory.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Howard
I found a flight that showed P9 PN9 PZ0 IN1 I1, so I called the 1K desk. They told me they saw PZ5 for the same flight. That's reassuring in that it would appear to be a website bug rather than an actual zeroing out of all PZ inventory.
So are the upgrades automatically done based on the website availability? If not, then as much as I would hate to be calling in on these issues this week, if all my flights where I am waiting for the upgrades are showing IN and PN then I am going to need to call in to see if there is PZ availability.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Spent the last hour looking at all Asia flights, alot that are mainly light historically, all have PZ0. something is majorly up. If they did change upgrades it would be great to tell us!
I booked certain flights cause historically I have been able to upgrade well in advance. I would have booked different flights, or let alone different airline if they dont get an upgrade till almost day of.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So are the upgrades automatically done based on the website availability? If not, then as much as I would hate to be calling in on these issues this week, if all my flights where I am waiting for the upgrades are showing IN and PN then I am going to need to call in to see if there is PZ availability.
Yes, call.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:35 pm

I just booked a LHR-IAD flight for May that showed PZ0 and the GPU went through immediately.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
I just booked a LHR-IAD flight for May that showed PZ0 and the GPU went through immediately.
I think you should call and let them know so they can give you back the GPU and put you on the wait-list immediately!!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howard
Same thing here. Looking at CDG-IAD, website shows PZ0, I7. Called in and told there was plenty of upgrade space available.

Update: Booked trip online and called in to apply GPU which cleared instantly.

Last edited by TomMM; Jan 31, 2019 at 7:18 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Booked FLR-FRA-ORD-RIC for my wife a few days ago, PZ9 for FRA-ORD and GPU cleared at time of booking. Flight went to PZ0 since then, and even after I booked the same itinerary still showing PZ0. However, after ticket was issued, I went in to apply GPU and FRA-ORD cleared immediately. Moral of this story is PZ0 may still have upgrade availability.

Now I have to figure out if ORD-FRA is truly PZ0.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Looked this morning at a flight I have Tuesday PHX-DEN and it was PZ2 with J7. Now just after the 96 hour mark, J7 and PZ0. 🙄 why do I even bother looking??!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:39 pm

IMO, this is a United.com issue, either deliberate or accidental. PZ0 currently doesn't mean anything. Look to P, PN, IN and I inventory for guidance and see if an applied GPU has resulted in an "Upgrade Approved" message. If not call to inquire. If you don't wish to play waitlist roulette, cancel if the GPU hasn't cleared before the 24 hour cancellation period.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

So with the exception of a brief one or two day interlude during which PZ was restored, the website has not been showing PZ for the better part of two weeks now. It's a sad comment that we're now so inured to this kind of nonsense that the tone here is resignation rather than outrage.

And of course no message or acknowledgment by UA.
Steve Kirkham likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kacee
So with the exception of a brief one or two day interlude during which PZ was restored, the website has not been showing PZ for the better part of two weeks now. It's a sad comment that we're now so inured to this kind of nonsense that the tone here is resignation rather than outrage.

And of course no message or acknowledgment by UA.
I wonder if they are tired of all the folks calling in to jump the wait-list queue at T-24 and this is the solution.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryman554
I wonder if they are tired of all the folks calling in to jump the wait-list queue at T-24 and this is the solution.
If that was the goal, they would just remove PZ from the display.

Queue jumping would be a miniscule proportion of daily calls. I would imagine that 99.9%+ of UA flyers have no idea what PZ even is. (Which is likely why this is such a low priority for them to fix.)
Kannai likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.