T-shirt on a UA flight yesterday

Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by 757FO
The idea of, "well if United can't fix it's WIFI, what else can't they fix" also may enter someones mind. I realize some of you may laugh at this, and think perhaps this is a stretch...
Actually it's not a stretch at all. In fact, even without the t-shirts, I find myself wondering exactly that. If United can't get wifi to work, operates their aircraft with floors and seats that are disgustingly filthy, and has seats and lavs that are often inoperable, can they really be trusted to fly an aircraft safely? Maybe, just maybe, they apply a much greater level of care to the things that really matter (like engine maintenance).

But, it's kind of like going to a mechanic and seeing their shop floor with random tools and parts scattered everywhere. Do you really want to trust that guy to fix your brakes correctly? When somebody like that says: "Don't worry we'll get the important things right," I tend to be skeptical. I prefer the mechanic, the doctor, and the airline, who demonstrates organization, diligence, and care with every detail -- not just the "important stuff."

So yeah, if I didn't think that the FAA was really vigilant in enforcing maintenance and other safety standards., I would never set foot on a United plane. If I could persuade you to convey one thing to management, it would be that United's failure to exhibit diligence and care in so many areas (like wifi and general cleanliness) makes a lot of us wonder if they really can run an airline safely.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Jan 26, 2019 at 2:06 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is beyond a stretch. The people who maintain the engines are not the same as the people who clean the floors or install the wifi.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is beyond a stretch. The people who maintain the engines are not the same as the people who clean the floors or install the wifi.
One company. One culture.

Your doctor doesn’t sweep the floors either. Are you going to trust him if his office is a mess?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
One company. One culture.
Apparently not, because, despite the wifi never working, the planes continue to fly safely
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not really UA related, but to me it's a little unprofessional to walk around with a shirt with subjective language. I personally don't care, but it says a lot to me about someone's personal character, or more importantly lack of. So if someone walked in with a shirt that said COSPILOT sucks, but still wanted to spend money with me, he/she would be shown the door.
CIT85 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
UA Wifi actually isn't that bad. Its not great, but I have had AA wifi fail far more than UA wifi has, and don't even get me started on "OnAir" on EY and EK...that stuff makes you feel lucky if you can even send 1 tweet!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Expedia Rewards Gold, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Gold Status, Presidential Plus
Not on one of my flights, but I had a co-worker who encountered this, and his FA's seriously contemplated saying something about needed to change the t-shirts, but in the end, did not. Personally, if I encountered this, I'm not sure what I would do, but I would probably be inclined ask them to change shirts/cover them up.
LOL - okay Principal Belding
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:18 pm

So the takeaway is wear the tshirt and get rich after UA makes some really poor dao like decisions.
BSpeaker likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think it's funny, not offensive.

I think a majority (not all) of passengers would also think it was funny.

I think a lot (perhaps a majority, but not all) of crew members would think it was funny.

I think If this T-shirt attacked people ("UA flight attendants never effing work."), that would be different. The TSA shirt cited in a post above is gross because it's attacking people. But this is just making a sardonic comment on something that almost everyone here agrees is a genuine problem.

I think it's stunning that something this minor has garnered over 150 posts.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I think it's stunning that something this minor has garnered over 150 posts.
The tshirt is minor. A pilot suggesting that he would kick someone off a plane for this is not.
iluv2fly, n198ua, prestonh and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Ok, I'm done.... Good luck to all of you. I realized it is impossible to have a productive dialogue here. What it boils down to is this. If you dislike United that much, fly with someone else. I have tried to share the perspective of the flight crew, and in return have been insulted and made out to be the fashion police.
tuolumne and Imstevek like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Love it. Only ONCE have I ever used United wifi successfully without it cutting out at some point in the flight. At least the refund process is easy, but United wifi is really embarrassing. If JetBlue can get free wifi spot on, there is no excuse for United to have such shoddy paid wifi.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Ok, I'm done.... Good luck to all of you. I realized it is impossible to have a productive dialogue here. What it boils down to is this. If you dislike United that much, fly with someone else. I have tried to share the perspective of the flight crew, and in return have been insulted and made out to be the fashion police.
just point out the list of prohibited clothing and/or words in the coc fars or crew manuals and the discussion is over. Until then it comes across as you seemingly offended by either the wifi swipe or the word effing. Point out in the policies or fars where either of these deserves the Dao treatment and I will be on your side all day long.
chavala and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
just point out the list of prohibited clothing and/or words in the coc fars or crew manuals and the discussion is over.
Is there really a list of prohibited words for clothing on commercial aircraft? (Serious question.) On one of my flights yesterday, a guy was wearing a baseball cap with “Violent as F...” embroidered on the back. I have to admit that it gave me pause.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Is there really a list of prohibited words for clothing on commercial aircraft? (Serious question.) On one of my flights yesterday, a guy was wearing a baseball cap with “Violent as F...” embroidered on the back. I have to admit that it gave me pause.
I'm not pretending to know, that's why I'm reaching out to ask. There was that legging thing not so long ago, so there is a written dress code, albeit for pass travel. Obviously if the crewmember is empowered to kick off a pax for offending clothing there must be a policy in place to back them up in that regard. Otherwise it comes off as a power trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.