Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-shirt on a UA flight yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
By that same logic we’d all still be on steam-powered trains.
Or dying of dysentery somewhere in Oregon.
nnn, prestonh, milski and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I find the shirts creative. How much longer is UA going to insist on being so far behind the entire world on reliable wifi?

Their first mistake was not going with what worked (GoGo) on their domestic fleet when everyone else did it in 2009.

Their second mistake was installing suboptimal wifi from Panasonic and *still* sticking with them to this day.

It is clear that both old management and new management don't see this as a problem. I've been having trouble with wifi on UA since its inception.

Compensation is appreciated but actually fixing the problem would be better. Who's bright idea was it to have several different types of wifi on diff fleets?

Meanwhile, on DL, i dont have to wait until 30 minutes after departure to use Gogo 2Ku.

i will say whatever wifi is on the 773s is great. Its gate to gate. Why not install that one on every aircraft?
iluv2fly and milski like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by david_oz
Rewind 5 years and we didn’t even have WiFi on planes. It’s pretty funny how quickly a culture of entitlement develops about a “substandard” product which is light years ahead of where we were just a few years ago.

Having said that, I am the first to say that I’m 100% guilty. I complain all the time about the WiFi. Although I also have better things to do with my time and money than make cr*p T-shirt’s advertising my displeasure.

Just submit a refund request and move on! That’s what I do if the WiFi is inoperative for the time I need it on the flight. UA will pay more attention to refunds given than to cheesy T-shirts
five years ago they didn’t charge me over $600 for a subscription
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Ridiculous and childish. You would think if someone is a GS member/passenger, they would have some class. In other words they would be someone who holds a reputable and/or prestigious employment. What do they do on the job when something goes wrong, throw a tantrum ? Just e-mail your wifi complaint to United and go for the thousands of miles (you don't need) that they'll throw your way. Wearing a tee shirt laced with profanity is pretty low.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Ahh the sky bus driver? 😉

just kidding!! Thanks for flying us safe

Originally Posted by 757FO

LOL, I'm not a sky waiter, I'm even worse, I'm the more obnoxious, more power tripping, ego inflated pilot who's tasked with getting you safely to your destination.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Ridiculous and childish.
I wholeheartedly agree. Although apparently my "Save The Tulip" t-shirt upset a sCO FA into such a state a little over a year ago that she refused to interact with me for the duration of my 3 hour flight, other than the odd dirty look now and then.
nnn, milski, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by n198ua
I wholeheartedly agree. Although apparently my "Save The Tulip" t-shirt upset a sCO FA into such a state a little over a year ago that she refused to interact with me for the duration of my 3 hour flight, other than the odd dirty look now and then.
Ah, so you're the one with the shirt! Good job, love the shirt and I'm sure most PMUA employees love it as well. Ignore the triggered sCO employees that are upset you don't conform to the Death Star.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
I think the shirts, while accurate, are childless and classless, and misguided. Do you think the flight crew has one iota of ability to make the WiFi any better? What’s the point of wearing the shirts onboard othe than to get people talking and fired up about it. Do you think the flight crew isn’t aware of it?

More over, I’m in full support of 757FO. People think a ticket onboard a plane enables them to do what they damn well please. It’s not their airplane to do so. End of discussion.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:58 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by n198ua
Pic please.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
How much longer is UA going to insist on being so far behind the entire world on reliable wifi?
I would disagree. While I wouldn't claim UA's WiFi is top of the food chain (far from it actually); I also wouldn't rate it as massively inferior. At least based on my experience, I have had working WiFi every time for the options I have purchased. There have been hiccups, such as disconnections, sure, but to claim it never works, not by you (but others), is outlandish.

I just came back from a trip to Asia, where I flew JL on the way there and SQ on the way back (longest nonstop flight from SIN to EWR). Those WiFi services weren't any better. SQ also uses Panasonic, but they charge by usage - complementary wifi was used up within five minutes without doing much.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
{S}eriously, wearing a tshirt that criticizes a deficient service offered by a publicly traded company, worn in a public space, is so horrific the customers should be thrown off the flight?

At least it's more fashionable than the crunchy velvet tracksuits half the plane is wearing between NY and FL....and the message is, after all, truthful.
LordHamster, demkr, milski and 2 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2019 at 12:53 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 757FO
Grounds? How would you like for me to wear a shirt to your place of employment with something negative about it? I don't care what you say, I'm sure it would bother you at some level. NOW, having said that, yes, the WIFI can be slow and problematic. Not arguing that one bit, and it's something we do need to improve upon.

Would I have them removed from the plane if they refused, I honestly don't know... Removing someone from one of my flights is not something I take lightly, and I usually try to figure out an alternate to doing so. But, sometimes it can be out my hands, if the FA's refuse to fly, and then I have to weigh inconveniencing an entire plane full of people, versus one or two.
i get it. Nobody can say anything negative about your airlines, even if it’s true.
iluv2fly, topman, demkr and 6 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2019 at 12:54 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
That thing he's wearing looks like it was made at the mall t-shirt store...in 1982.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by chavala
On what grounds? What if they refused? Would you have them kicked off?
United. Breaks. Guitars.
Nihon_Ni likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:33 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I would personally hate to fly with any United employee who thought about kicking a pax off a plane for expressing (in whatever legal manner) a view that is critical of United.
wcj1, bocastephen, demkr and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.