Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-shirt on a UA flight yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david_oz
Rewind 5 years and we didn’t even have WiFi on planes. It’s pretty funny how quickly a culture of entitlement develops about a “substandard” product which is light years ahead of where we were just a few years ago.

Having said that, I am the first to say that I’m 100% guilty. I complain all the time about the WiFi. Although I also have better things to do with my time and money than make cr*p T-shirt’s advertising my displeasure.

Just submit a refund request and move on! That’s what I do if the WiFi is inoperative for the time I need it on the flight. UA will pay more attention to refunds given than to cheesy T-shirts
1. People are paying for a service, receiving something that is not as good as advertised, and complaining about it. That's not about entitlement.

2. "substandard" is not as compared to how something was 5 or 50 or 500 years ago. It doesn't matter how much bubble gum cost when you were a kid. It's as compared to (a) the product that's currently advertised, and (b) the product that's currently offered by competitors.

3. There was absolutely wifi on planes 5 years ago. Wifi on planes was new and hip back in 2008.
iluv2fly, cmdinnyc, rch4u and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by 757FO
Grounds? How would you like for me to wear a shirt to your place of employment with something negative about it? I don't care what you say, I'm sure it would bother you at some level. NOW, having said that, yes, the WIFI can be slow and problematic. Not arguing that one bit, and it's something we do need to improve upon.

Would I have them removed from the plane if they refused, I honestly don't know... Removing someone from one of my flights is not something I take lightly, and I usually try to figure out an alternate to doing so. But, sometimes it can be out my hands, if the FA's refuse to fly, and then I have to weigh inconveniencing an entire plane full of people, versus one or two.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If wish if people felt they had to wear such a tacky and classless t-shirt, they'd fly another airline.

I wouldn't want to sit near that person. It is unnecessarily disruptive.
Originally Posted by threeoh
The First Amendment says the government can't prohibit your speech. No government action at play here.

That said, if I saw a t-shirt like this in my business, directed at one tiny portion of the business that admittedly sucks, worn by an obviously loyal customer, I would laugh. If it said "United Pilots Effing Suck" it would be more offensive and less laugh-worthy.
I would also laugh
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
absolutely - many have no choice - you fly whatever carrier is on the approved list.. or perhaps you are stuck with a particular carrier because of route network..
They are stuck by status. Its living breathing proof why loyalty programs work. People get a 'captive' mentality.

Wearing T Shirts on a plane complaining about WiFi. Now I have seen everything.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:20 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If you are willing to wear a shirt that can make people uncomfortable - such as potentially some crew or other passengers, it makes me wonder what else is wrong with you. At a minimum it shows a lack of maturity.
Please explain to me why or how this shirt would make anyone uncomfortable. It's a shirt. Now if the guy had no shirt on at all, well that's something to (rightfully) get uncomfortable over.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Not posting his picture here as I have no permission, but I love the guy that goes around wearing a "Save the Tulip" t-shirt with the old UA tulip logo on it. PMUA employees love it and get a kick out of it while the PMCO employees hate it.
nnn, UAPremierGuy, milski and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Why do they continue giving a company money if they don't like the services provided?

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.
Domestic flying has lots of monopoly routes.
dhodory likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Also I was watching a video where some guy wore a shirt through the security checkpoint at SEA that said "F... the TSA". TSA got very triggered by it and ending up calling someone from Delta over, the airline the passenger was flying on. After reassuring the Delta agent that he would take off the shirt before boarding his flight Delta was OK with it and the TSA let him through, albeit still very triggered.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I wouldn't say it never works. It has worked on one of four flights for me this year
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I am going to make a hat that says "Make United Great Again and wear it on the plane. MUGA!
...and a tshirt featuring a photo of a smiling jeff smisek for ultimate trolling.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by riphamilton
...and a tshirt featuring a photo of a smiling jeff smisek for ultimate trolling.
THAT will definitely get you instantly deplaned...no matter what the altitude might be!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Could you imagine being 'desperate enough' to continue to throw money at the company you are desperately frustrated with?
It's very easy to imagine GS pax who are bound by corporate policy and/or negotiated contracts to fly with a given carrier, and, either as part of that agreement, or by virtue of, you know, spending lots and flying lots, have achieved GS status. We recently learned that Apple employees flying out of SFO, for example, can very quickly attain GS status. Such folks are likely to want good WiFi service, but have no other real option when it comes to business travel.
dhodory likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jpezaris
It's very easy to imagine GS pax who are bound by corporate policy and/or negotiated contracts to fly with a given carrier, and, either as part of that agreement, or by virtue of, you know, spending lots and flying lots, have achieved GS status. We recently learned that Apple employees flying out of SFO, for example, can very quickly attain GS status. Such folks are likely to want good WiFi service, but have no other real option when it comes to business travel.
I am sorry, wearing a t shirt whining about wifi while I fly as a captive audience would be too embarrassing. I would look like the world's biggest sucker.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Also I was watching a video where some guy wore a shirt through the security checkpoint at SEA that said "F... the TSA". TSA got very triggered by it and ending up calling someone from Delta over, the airline the passenger was flying on. After reassuring the Delta agent that he would take off the shirt before boarding his flight Delta was OK with it and the TSA let him through, albeit still very triggered.
And here we have an example where the First Amendment does apply.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA
Aircraft didn't always have Wi-Fi. Maybe time to learn how to use one of those things that's a bunch of pages all stuck together on one side...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
Aircraft didn't always have Wi-Fi. Maybe time to learn how to use one of those things that's a bunch of pages all stuck together on one side...
By that same logic we’d all still be on steam-powered trains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.