Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-shirt on a UA flight yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chavala
A mob situation, LOL. Maybe if we all start wearing them they'd fix the wifi!
Maybe if you stopped giving them money they'd fix the wifi.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
Nothing juvenile or offensive about it - if they wanted to draw attention this is far more effective than writing to united. Being kicked out would be even better.

Kudos to the folks desperate enough to try this - too bad ppl have to go such lengths to highlight an obvious problem...
Could you imagine being 'desperate enough' to continue to throw money at the company you are desperately frustrated with?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
No comment on the pax wearing a t-shirt that calls out bad wifi service.

But is it OK to wear a t-shirt that says, for example: "Comcast Service ....ing Sucks"?

What is the difference? Does putting the f-word in code change it?

And what if we go a step further with "Trump's Wall ....ing Sucks"?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
No comment on the pax wearing a t-shirt that calls out bad wifi service.

But is it OK to wear a t-shirt that says, for example: "Comcast Service ....ing Sucks"?

What is the difference? Does putting the f-word in code change it?
YES. Will you also ban "Fudge" ? How about "Heck" ?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Certainly anecdotal but I have been on 4 UA segments (about to do 5 and 6 this week) since 12-20-18 and the wifi didn't work on 3 of the segments. Two of the three with no internet were brand 737 Max planes.

Sucks and effing aren't profanity in my book.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by chavala
YES. Will you also ban "Fudge" ? How about "Heck" ?
If I am in charge, any printed words are allowed,

So I agree with you saying yes to my examples. But many would have a problem with my examples, and it those I ask what the demark is.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:32 pm

Just as people wear their "first to fly" t -shirts... I don't see anything wrong with this.

If this is taking place in the US, there is absolutely nothing wrong. As a non-US citizen even I recognize this as protected under the 1st Amendment of the constitution.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:38 pm

How much comp do we get for getting kicked off a plane needlessly? Can someone send me a tshirt? I'll wear it.
dhodory, kimberlyrose and pong1092 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 757FO
Grounds? How would you like for me to wear a shirt to your place of employment with something negative about it? I don't care what you say, I'm sure it would bother you at some level. NOW, having said that, yes, the WIFI can be slow and problematic. Not arguing that one bit, and it's something we do need to improve upon.

Would I have them removed from the plane if they refused, I honestly don't know... Removing someone from one of my flights is not something I take lightly, and I usually try to figure out an alternate to doing so. But, sometimes it can be out my hands, if the FA's refuse to fly, and then I have to weigh inconveniencing an entire plane full of people, versus one or two.
Playing devils advocate here. Why is it ok for Pilots and FAs to display bag tags or wear pins that clearly are directed at management during contract negotiations, and these messages are negative (and might bother some passengers who don’t want to have to deal with crew who air dirty laundry), but a passenger wearing a shirt, albeit tacky....that is aimed at management not specifically flight crew....and that’s considered offensive?

Sorry not to get much sympathy from me on this one. Flight crew do it too....this isn’t a safety of flight issue but comes across as a power trip.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Could you imagine being 'desperate enough' to continue to throw money at the company you are desperately frustrated with?
absolutely - many have no choice - you fly whatever carrier is on the approved list.. or perhaps you are stuck with a particular carrier because of route network..
dhodory likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Asknorm
Revoke their status if I was King of the world. I would also fix the wi-fi as well.
This is the problem; FAs think that they are king of the world.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I am going to make a hat that says "Make United Great Again and wear it on the plane. MUGA!
dgreen12, demkr, gengar and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
If this is taking place in the US, there is absolutely nothing wrong. As a non-US citizen even I recognize this as protected under the 1st Amendment of the constitution.
The First Amendment says the government can't prohibit your speech. No government action at play here.

That said, if I saw a t-shirt like this in my business, directed at one tiny portion of the business that admittedly sucks, worn by an obviously loyal customer, I would laugh. If it said "United Pilots Effing Suck" it would be more offensive and less laugh-worthy.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
I honestly don't understand what the big deal is or how this can be "disruptive." And what in the world would make the crew uncomfortable with flying with someone wearing the shirt? Do they think its going to make everyone agree and create a mob situation or something? Its a tacky but meant to be funny shirt, some people just need to take things a little less seriously.
If you are willing to wear a shirt that can make people uncomfortable - such as potentially some crew or other passengers, it makes me wonder what else is wrong with you. At a minimum it shows a lack of maturity.
FlyngSvyr likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Rewind 5 years and we didn’t even have WiFi on planes. It’s pretty funny how quickly a culture of entitlement develops about a “substandard” product which is light years ahead of where we were just a few years ago.

Having said that, I am the first to say that I’m 100% guilty. I complain all the time about the WiFi. Although I also have better things to do with my time and money than make cr*p T-shirt’s advertising my displeasure.

Just submit a refund request and move on! That’s what I do if the WiFi is inoperative for the time I need it on the flight. UA will pay more attention to refunds given than to cheesy T-shirts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.