FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   T-shirt on a UA flight yesterday (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1952371-t-shirt-ua-flight-yesterday.html)

iluv2fly Jan 22, 2019 12:10 pm

"Effing" is considered profanity?

(Although I agree the t-shirt is tacky.)

How did OP know pax was a GS?

757FO Jan 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 30686832)
On what grounds? What if they refused? Would you have them kicked off?

Grounds? How would you like for me to wear a shirt to your place of employment with something negative about it? I don't care what you say, I'm sure it would bother you at some level. NOW, having said that, yes, the WIFI can be slow and problematic. Not arguing that one bit, and it's something we do need to improve upon.

Would I have them removed from the plane if they refused, I honestly don't know... Removing someone from one of my flights is not something I take lightly, and I usually try to figure out an alternate to doing so. But, sometimes it can be out my hands, if the FA's refuse to fly, and then I have to weigh inconveniencing an entire plane full of people, versus one or two.

chavala Jan 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by 757FO (Post 30686897)
Grounds? How would you like for me to wear a shirt to your place of employment with something negative about it? I don't care what you say, I'm sure it would bother you at some level. NOW, having said that, yes, the WIFI can be slow and problematic. Not arguing that one bit, and it's something we do need to improve upon.

Would I have them removed from the plane if they refused, I honestly don't know... Removing someone from one of my flights is not something I take lightly, and I usually try to figure out an alternate to doing so. But, sometimes it can be out my hands, if the FA's refuse to fly, and then I have to weigh inconveniencing an entire plane full of people, versus one or two.

So you're saying it wouldn't be because of "profanity" ? You have the authority to tell someone to change their shirt because you don't like the message? Yikes.

narvik Jan 22, 2019 12:16 pm

Unless the writing is also on the front of the T-Shirt (was it?), if the passenger is sitting in his/her seat, the message can't really be seen.

milepig Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 30686889)
"Effing" is considered profanity?

(Although I agree the t-shirt is tacky.)

How did OP know pax was a GS?

Sucks.

OccasionalFlyerPerson Jan 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by 757FO (Post 30686417)
Not on one of my flights, but I had a co-worker who encountered this, and his FA's seriously contemplated saying something about needed to change the t-shirts, but in the end, did not. Personally, if I encountered this, I'm not sure what I would do, but I would probably be inclined ask them to change shirts/cover them up.

Couldn't you just fix the WiFi instead?

RichardNixon Jan 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Trying to talk big about pushing changing a pax's t-shirt is about all the sky waiters have going for them? It's a race to the biggest power trip and they just might beat out the TSA.

wanderingkev Jan 22, 2019 12:41 pm

It is target rich environment for T shirts.....has to be some good ones for.
-The cheese plate
-Garlic bread
-Balsamic vinaigrette

757FO Jan 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Ok, before this descends into a rat hole, plus I'm starting a 3 day trip tonight, I'm going to respectfully decline to comment further. I respect each of your opinions, and ask you do the same for mine. While I personally think the t-shirt is classless and tacky, and honestly won't accomplish a damn thing, other than to solicit lots of opinions on this forum, to each his own.

If any of you are LHR bound tonight, see you on board, but please don't wear the t-shirt! :) :)

Originally Posted by RichardNixon (Post 30687052)
Trying to talk big about pushing changing a pax's t-shirt is about all the sky waiters have going for them? It's a race to the biggest power trip and they just might beat out the TSA.

LOL, I'm not a sky waiter, I'm even worse, I'm the more obnoxious, more power tripping, ego inflated pilot who's tasked with getting you safely to your destination. :)

bitterproffit Jan 22, 2019 12:45 pm

I think I would laugh at them. Its like someone wearing a tshirt to McDonalds complaining that ice cream machine never works. Like they don't have a choice of who to give their money to, or don't have the imagination to figure it out.

iluv2fly Jan 22, 2019 12:49 pm

People say negative things about United all the time. Why should it matter where they say them? Where does it stop? If it didn't say "effing," would you have the same opinion?

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 22, 2019 12:49 pm

If wish if people felt they had to wear such a tacky and classless t-shirt, they'd fly another airline.

I wouldn't want to sit near that person. It is unnecessarily disruptive.

S.R Jan 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Pretty ridiculous that this would cause an airline employee such an issue that they would consider throwing a passenger off the plane for it. It's a t shirt. I get that airline employees need to assert their dominance in whatever way they can, but this is probably the dumbest reason i've ever heard to kick someone off a plane. And "effing" is profanity now? Give me a break.
I don't think I would be comfortable flying with a crew member who thinks they have this type of willy nilly authority to kick someone off.

S.R Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 30687096)
If wish if people felt they had to wear such a tacky and classless t-shirt, they'd fly another airline.

I wouldn't want to sit near that person. It is unnecessarily disruptive.

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is or how this can be "disruptive." And what in the world would make the crew uncomfortable with flying with someone wearing the shirt? Do they think its going to make everyone agree and create a mob situation or something? Its a tacky but meant to be funny shirt, some people just need to take things a little less seriously.

t5campbell Jan 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by 757FO (Post 30687059)
Ok, before this descends into a rat hole, plus I'm starting a 3 day trip tonight, I'm going to respectfully decline to comment further. I respect each of your opinions, and ask you do the same for mine. While I personally think the t-shirt is classless and tacky, and honestly won't accomplish a damn thing, other than to solicit lots of opinions on this forum, to each his own.

If any of you are LHR bound tonight, see you on board, but please don't wear the t-shirt! :) :)

LOL, I'm not a sky waiter, I'm even worse, I'm the more obnoxious, more power tripping, ego inflated pilot who's tasked with getting you safely to your destination. :)

Since you work for the company share this with higher ups on your end. If my company was offering sub-par product and people were complaining I would want to make it better for the customer.