Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Exactly the same way they would have survived the original 15+ hour flight?

The kids were surprisingly well behaved even though they did get a little stir crazy towards the end. The situation was never dire and diapers/baby food were brought on at the same time the additional food was.

As as a parent of a two year old I sympathized with the families on the plane. I was frustrated and bored as an adult an uncomfortable situation, hard to imagine how my very active daughter would have handled it. To put it in perspective, by the time our original arrivial time came (approximately 7am est) we still had no definitive communication that a rescue plane had even been dispatched. By the time I stepped off the plane in EWR I had been in the same seat for over 28 hours. Almost double the expected length of the trip, which was already one of the longest in the world.

KRSW, narvik, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2019 at 7:31 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
That's true, and the satellite system is designed, primarily, to work while airborne. The farther north you go the lower the satellite will be on the horizon.
Correct, but if the UA published coverage maps bear any accuracy, Panasonic supposedly covers Canada all the way up to 80N. If that is true, then there could be a reasonable chance of reception on ground level at 53N, barring any obstacles or a poor satellite configuration for the particular latitude or longitude.

FWIW, on a recent flight from TOS (69N) we had LH FlyNet coverage as soon as we cleared the valley. Not sure what provider they use though.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mozilla
Correct, but if the UA published coverage maps bear any accuracy, Panasonic supposedly covers Canada all the way up to 80N. If that is true, then there could be a reasonable chance of reception on ground level at 53N, barring any obstacles or a poor satellite configuration for the particular longitude.
The coverage maps assume that the airplane is inflight. I'm just speculating as to why the internet service wasn't available. The airplane's satellite receiver just isn't designed for a very low angle to the satellite as that's not what it normally encounters inflight. The pilots would have likely wanted access to the internet as well during the delay so they certainly would have had it on if they could.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The airplane's satellite receiver just isn't designed for a very low angle to the satellite as that's not what it normally encounters inflight. The pilots would have likely wanted access to the internet as well during the delay so they certainly would have had it on if they could.
I agree, but as someone already pointed out above I'm also not sure if the problem was the lack of coverage, or rather the Panasonic software - as a matter of regulatory compliance - not allowing for the WiFi to be turned on below certain altitudes without some kind of maintenance override.

UA's WiFi devices are configured using the US regulatory domain, making it possibly illegal to broadcast WiFi signals when the plane is subject to telecom laws of another country (i.e., when it is on the ground outside of the US). Canada wouldn't be a problem, but the software may just look at the altitude and not take the location into account.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by Jeff767
A aircraft on the ground in minus 30 temps would be considered a emergency by every flight ops department I know of. APU’s are finicky and burn oil. They often autoshutdown. Delta recently diverted a aircraft to Shemya where the temp was 32F at the time. They pulled a aircraft and crews from revenue flights and arrived in Shemya 6 hours after the aircraft landed. Shemya is 2300 miles from SEA. YYR is 950 miles from EWR.
In all fairness, the DL divert to Shemya was because an engine had failed. From the moment that the failure occurred, it was clear that the DL plane was not going to be able to continue the flight from Shemya to SEA. Therefore, DL knew 2 hours before the plane landed at Shemya that a rescue flight was necessary. In contrast, the UA diversion to Goose was not due a mechanical failure, and UA probably had every expectation that the plane could continue on after offloading the sick PAX. It was only after the mechanical occurred as the plane prepared to takeoff (and on ground attempts to fix the door had failed) that the clock started ticking on getting out a rescue flight.
wrp96 and eflyte like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by seenitall
In all fairness, the DL divert to Shemya was because an engine had failed. From the moment that the failure occurred, it was clear that the DL plane was not going to be able to continue the flight from Shemya to SEA. Therefore, DL knew 2 hours before the plane landed at Shemya that a rescue flight was necessary. In contrast, the UA diversion to Goose was not due a mechanical failure, and UA probably had every expectation that the plane could continue on after offloading the sick PAX. It was only after the mechanical occurred as the plane prepared to takeoff (and on ground attempts to fix the door had failed) that the clock started ticking on getting out a rescue flight.
As was stated, DL canx a revenue flight to expedite the rescue. At least they have their act together. UA's ops plan is to leave their revenue schedule intact and irrops passengers stranded. It is not irony it happened at goose bay not that long ago. Not that excited about taking a UA ETOPS flight to be dumped in some remote field at the mercy of ops not giving a care and the pilots hoping that Oscar responds to the desperate twitter pleas for help. feel bad for the pax.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2019 at 12:00 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
It was only after the mechanical occurred as the plane prepared to takeoff (and on ground attempts to fix the door had failed) that the clock started ticking on getting out a rescue flight.
Fair. BUT, then the clock ticked for an insanely long time
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by prestonh
As was stated, DL canx a revenue flight to expedite the rescue. At least they have their act together. UA's ops plan is to leave their revenue schedule intact and irrops passengers stranded. It is not irony it happened at goose bay not that long ago. Not that excited about taking a UA ETOPS flight to be dumped in some remote field at the mercy of ops not giving a care and the pilots hoping that Oscar responds to the desperate twitter pleas for help. feel bad for the pax.
How do you know what UA's IRROPS plan is???

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2019 at 12:01 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by prestonh
UA's ops plan is to leave their revenue schedule intact and irrops passengers stranded... Not that excited about taking a UA ETOPS flight to be dumped in some remote field at the mercy of ops not giving a care.
Bit hyperbolic, don't you think? I am no defender of UA but even I do not think they wake up in the morning planning to torment their customers. It just turns out that way sometimes.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Bit hyperbolic, don't you think? I am no defender of UA but even I do not think they wake up in the morning planning to torment their customers. It just turns out that way sometimes.
we were first told of a rescue flight an hour or two after arrival in goose bay.
i think it would be beneficial for United's SOC team to have an off site retreat on say a 737 in goose bay with a door open next week. Then maybe that can stratagize on some more creative solutions for these situations in the future.
MSPeconomist, wavid, oopl and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
How do you know what UA's IRROPS plan is???
the tree bears fruit. the EWR revenue bank went out unaffected. Change my mind. When the pilots beg the pax to both get on social media and email oscar for help? They don't have an irrops plan at that point. gimme a break.

Originally Posted by BearX220
but do they plan on contingencies and recovering from those contingencies? will they canx a revenue flight when its -30 at the diversion field when it goes mx overnight and the pax are stuck onboard? see its obvious they don't have a plan and the result is torment.
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2019 at 11:57 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I wonder why UA didn't send two smaller aircraft (737s) for this YYR rescue? I would think it's easier to rejig flight schedules on multi-frequency per day shorter flights to free up two smaller aircraft to go to YYR, rather than face the choice of canceling a once daily (or perhaps twice daily) longhaul 777 flight, or just waiting until there is a gap in the 777 utilization. Heck, even one 737 could have made two trips YYR-EWR in the time it took to get the 777 in position.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder why UA didn't send two smaller aircraft (737s) for this YYR rescue? I would think it's easier to rejig flight schedules on multi-frequency per day shorter flights to free up two smaller aircraft to go to YYR, rather than face the choice of canceling a once daily (or perhaps twice daily) longhaul 777 flight, or just waiting until there is a gap in the 777 utilization. Heck, even one 737 could have made two trips YYR-EWR in the time it took to get the 777 in position.
oh the horrors of UA affecting 2 revenue flights for a rescue. how would the shareholders react
twomonger likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder why UA didn't send two smaller aircraft (737s) for this YYR rescue? I would think it's easier to rejig flight schedules on multi-frequency per day shorter flights to free up two smaller aircraft to go to YYR,
one of the best observations on this thread
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Everyone would be doing positive bag matching outside on the frozen tundra? How would they decide who boards 737 #1 v #2 ? Process upgrades? Would they load BOB and stroopwaffels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.