Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
I talked to the pilots said it was an issue of trying to find both pilots and flight attendants. They found pilots who then timed out while waiting for flight attendants. Then flight attendants timed out waiting for new pilots. I think the problem was trying to decide on continuing to HKG or returning to EWR. No one could decide where we where going next instead of just getting back to EWR.
good thing that more passengers didn't time out
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
We had dedicated immigration lanes and customs lanes when we returned so I do not think they had an issue due to the situation. Even passengers with Global Entry had to use these lanes.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
What is it with US airlines and trouble completing trans-Pacific flights lately?

I'll be sure to take a foreign carrier for sure on routes to Asia.
Trans-arctic. The EWR-HKG flight doesn't go over the Pacific Ocean at all and gets nowhere near it until China.

You'd have been no better off with an Asian carrier.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
If there are crew or fuel issues to make the entire trip to HKG not feasible, they typically fly a decent ways to a hub(let), and use the time in flight to get a new plane / crew set up to continue on the journey. (SFO/NRT/HNL?)

Lot depends on where there are usable resources, both crew and frame. Could be back EWR / ORD / IAD, if it makes sense.
Pretty dynamic situation.
Again, this is a trans-arctic flight. Once you're over Canada, the first major airport you'll get to before Hong Kong is... Beijing. SFO/HNL are NOWHERE CLOSE to the flight path. (HNL is quarter of the way around the world.) NRT would be maybe 1,000 miles closer than HKG.

Originally Posted by narvik
Only because no one has had the gumption to set this up. From the pictures I have seen, accommodating 250 persons in a secure area for exactly this type of event should be a fairly easy thing to accomplish....IME.
My "home" airport is a single-gate airport with a sterile post-security area. There is no way it is big enough to handle a 777 full of passengers. And it's got a vending machine, while the plane has food for 16 hours. Even from a restroom perspective there's more ... 'facilities' on the plane.

If you're on a regional jet for a 1-hour flight and you get stuck on the ground for 13 hours, that's a big deal. If you're on a widebody scheduled for a 16-hour flight and you end up on the ground for 16-hours... trust me you'd rather be on the plane with the plane's food and restrooms than sandwiched into a room with a vending machine in an airport at midnight.

And you can't just let everyone into the terminal - too many doors and it would be a fire hazard to keep them locked.
rmadisonwi and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by raehl311
Again, this is a trans-arctic flight. Once you're over Canada, the first major airport you'll get to before Hong Kong is... Beijing. SFO/HNL are NOWHERE CLOSE to the flight path. (HNL is quarter of the way around the world.) NRT would be maybe 1,000 miles closer than HKG.
I didn't mean to imply they will stay on their original flight path. The question I was addressing was about fuel and crew time issues. Once they take off from Canada after diverting, they can fly anywhere that the fuel and crew limits allow them to.

For operational recovery, that could be SFO / HNL / LAX / Wherever they have the "legs" to get to. The advantage is it allows the passengers to get closer to their destination, and gives United Ops time to arrange for the follow-on flight to get them all the way to HKG. Suppose it could be FRA / LHR, though I don't think I have ever heard of those being used for Ops recovery....

Bottom line - every situation is different, with resources (planes and crews) at different locations across the globe based on that particular day / time.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by raehl311
My "home" airport is a single-gate airport with a sterile post-security area. There is no way it is big enough to handle a 777 full of passengers. And it's got a vending machine, while the plane has food for 16 hours. Even from a restroom perspective there's more ... 'facilities' on the plane.

If you're on a regional jet for a 1-hour flight and you get stuck on the ground for 13 hours, that's a big deal. If you're on a widebody scheduled for a 16-hour flight and you end up on the ground for 16-hours... trust me you'd rather be on the plane with the plane's food and restrooms than sandwiched into a room with a vending machine in an airport at midnight.

As posted here, there's barracks available on the airport grounds. But yeah, I agree that the plane wasn't the worst case scenario for this situation. Just questioning the [apparent?] lack of a contingency plan at Goose Bay.
It's seemingly an occurrence that isn't that uncommon. September 2017 saw AF66 (A380) divert there, and passengers then were also left on the plane until replacement planes were brought in.

I guess no one at Goose Bay thinks it prudent to offer alternative solutions. Too much protocol & red tape in Canada maybe? Heck, one might think this could be good business. Offer shelter for stranded passengers...at a cost!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Now that I am back home.
I'm glad to hear that you made it in one piece. Can you describe in more detail the conditions on the airplane? It's unclear to many of us what the passenger experience was actually like (aside from the frustration, lack of information, and of course delayed journey).

For example, here's coverage in the Hong Kong press:

https://beta.scmp.com/news/world/uni...hrough-13-hour

Passengers en route to Hong Kong shiver through 13-hour ordeal on Canadian tarmac. ... Passengers shivered under thin blankets handed out by flight attendants... plane's barely heated interior ... food and water running short some 10 hours into the ordeal
How cold was it inside? Presumably the airplane still had power (i.e. they ran the APU the whole time). I have no idea about heat - can the APU provide heat? If necessary, can they run an engine at idle to generate heat? I would guess that they only dumped enough fuel to get down to maximum landing weight, so that probably left enough fuel to run the APU and/or an engine at idle for days.

Also, why would food and water run short after 10 hours on a flight that was planned to operate for 16 hours? IIRC, the flight was well past Goose Bay when it turned back. Presumably the first meal service had been completed by then. There should have been at least another full meal (breakfast) on board for everyone that they would serve at some point. Or, were the galleys non-operational?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:49 pm

I talked to the pilots said it was an issue of trying to find both pilots and flight attendants. They found pilots who then timed out while waiting for flight attendants. Then flight attendants timed out waiting for new pilots. I think the problem was trying to decide on continuing to HKG or returning to EWR. No one could decide where we where going next instead of just getting back to EWR.
That can’t be the issue. YYR is a 2 hour flight from EWR. EWR is awash with aircraft, pilots and flight attendants. In a emergency which a aircraft on the ground in minus 30 temps certainly is you simply cancel a revenue flight or two depending on what is available and dispatch those aircraft to YYR. Sounds like someone at UAL made a decision not to disrupt revenue flights. That would be a very poor choice.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I didn't mean to imply they will stay on their original flight path. The question I was addressing was about fuel and crew time issues. Once they take off from Canada after diverting, they can fly anywhere that the fuel and crew limits allow them to.

For operational recovery, that could be SFO / HNL / LAX / Wherever they have the "legs" to get to. The advantage is it allows the passengers to get closer to their destination, and gives United Ops time to arrange for the follow-on flight to get them all the way to HKG. Suppose it could be FRA / LHR, though I don't think I have ever heard of those being used for Ops recovery....

Bottom line - every situation is different, with resources (planes and crews) at different locations across the globe based on that particular day / time.
From YYR, The closest hub to restock/recrew the flight is...EWR.

YYR-EWR-HKG is 1000 miles shorter than YYR-SFO-HKG. Going to any other UA hub, in this particular case, would, at best, be going sideways and not making “progress” toward the destination vs. the option they chose of just returning to EWR (assuming heading direct to HKG from YYR was not an option).
KRSW and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
For those saying it is no big deal that the pax were on the ground for so long when it’s a 16 hour flight to begin with, it’s a bit different to be at cruising altitude where most pax are just trying to sleep through vs on the ground where you’re probably getting regular updates from the crew, people are coming and going, etc. If people aren’t sleeping they’re probably consuming more. And at least after suffering through the interminable duration you end up where you want to go.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Jeff767

That can’t be the issue. YYR is a 2 hour flight from EWR. EWR is awash with aircraft, pilots and flight attendants. In a emergency which a aircraft on the ground in minus 30 temps certainly is you simply cancel a revenue flight or two depending on what is available and dispatch those aircraft to YYR. Sounds like someone at UAL made a decision not to disrupt revenue flights. That would be a very poor choice.
Probably because they thought they'd figure out how to get a door closed and then take off.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:03 pm

this was not an emergency situation. The emergency was the medical emergency. Was it annoying? I’m sure. But not an emergency.

they were on a plane with food and facilities for that number of people for 16+ hours. The airport was not set up for that many people.

reports on the plane was it wasn’t freezing, bathrooms worked, food was available...

it got handled. They will comp everyone which will be cheaper than putting facilities at the airport forever waiting another 5yrs for this to happen again.

i fly this route 7-8 times a year. 16 hours is how long the flight is. I’ve had 3 hour ground delays in hkg before on top of that.

dont think uA did anything wrong here
cv11nyc likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It was the right choice. The passengers in Goose Bay were perhaps in discomfort but no immediate danger. UA is hardly going to off-load a plane full of passengers so they can take their aircraft to rescue other passengers. "Excuse us ladies and gentlemen but your flight has been canceled because we need your plane to fly other people whose plane is out of service. Sorry your luck." Instead of one plane load of unhappy people now you have two.

Originally Posted by narvik
I guess no one at Goose Bay thinks it prudent to offer alternative solutions. Too much protocol & red tape in Canada maybe? Heck, one might think this could be good business. Offer shelter for stranded passengers...at a cost!
What sort of "alternative solutions" do you think the good people of Goose Bay, all 8 thousand or so of them, should put in place for the occasional diversion of aircraft?

Last edited by Badenoch; Jan 21, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Probably because they thought they'd figure out how to get a door closed and then take off.
Due to the length of the flight the crew would have timed out very quickly once the door could not be closed. Just the divert alone on flights of those lengths will often time out the pilots. The flight became critical the moment the door would not close and plans for a rescue flight should have began at that point.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
I'm glad to hear that you made it in one piece. Can you describe in more detail the conditions on the airplane? It's unclear to many of us what the passenger experience was actually like (aside from the frustration, lack of information, and of course delayed journey).

For example, here's coverage in the Hong Kong press:

https://beta.scmp.com/news/world/uni...hrough-13-hour

How cold was it inside? Presumably the airplane still had power (i.e. they ran the APU the whole time). I have no idea about heat - can the APU provide heat? If necessary, can they run an engine at idle to generate heat? I would guess that they only dumped enough fuel to get down to maximum landing weight, so that probably left enough fuel to run the APU and/or an engine at idle for days.

Also, why would food and water run short after 10 hours on a flight that was planned to operate for 16 hours? IIRC, the flight was well past Goose Bay when it turned back. Presumably the first meal service had been completed by then. There should have been at least another full meal (breakfast) on board for everyone that they would serve at some point. Or, were the galleys non-operational?
conditions on on the plane were not bad. I would say the tempature was cool but not cold and I was by door 2 L which was the open door. Passengers around me were not not bundled up in coats. Many came up to the door to look out and take pictures. APU was running so we had power. I did not hear of any issues with restrooms until the end when they said the tanks were getting full. The only period when we did not get updates was from maybe midnight to 5 am. I was sleeping then so was grateful for limited announcements. Then only thing I heard about the food was the chillers may not have been running so at some point some of the catered food could not be used.
Usually in a situation like this you expect everyone to applaud when something good happens. Nothing happened when food was delivered in the morning, when they rescue plane landed, when we took off. Maybe everyone was just tired. Maybe 100 people got off and walked around. They all looked much happier when they came back on. I decided to just stay on board rather than go out into the cold.
cesco.g and narvik like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Palal
It's usually -50°C outside any time you're at any serious altitude, so no issues with the temp.

I remember once in MSP on NW where they couldn't close 1R because the locks froze. They came and heated it and off we went.
Sealed up, pressurized and moving at 500+ mph, the airplane can operate in much colder conditions.

However, on the ground, in extreme cold temperatures, with moving, lubricated parts, that's not necessarily the case. A freak failure. The problem is that temperatures aren't supposed to rise enough to warm up the components that are frozen, and Goose Bay doesn't have the equipment (sort of like a tent) that could be set up around the door and allow technicians to heat up the mechanism.

My guess is that equipment is going to have to be flown up from EWR. Not exactly a logistical cakewalk.

Originally Posted by yul36
AC jazz has a couple of flights a day on the weekends to YYT then you would have to connect through YYZ, or YUL to get to back to EWR.
The Jazz flights are on DHC 8's so not a lot of seats available.
Pax couldn't enter Canada to take the domestic flight, so this wouldn't be an option.

Last edited by EWR764; Jan 21, 2019 at 4:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.