Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso

I suspect the rubber in the seals they use for Arctic planes is a bit different than the rubber used on mainland planes. Cold weather tends to make rubber go hard and brittle - it’s the reason why in many parts of Canada winter tyres are the law. Winterized rubber actually goes softer the colder the weather gets! So yeah, in theory the seals should work but in practice there is no such guarantee especially if the seals have been exposed to -30 weather for quite some time.

Another thing to keep into account is the temperature differential. The inside air in the cabin is presumably 20 degrees outside air is -30 meaning you’ve got a temperature differential of 50 degrees Celsius.
The only problem with your analysis is that (as others have pointed out) the outside temperature at cruising altitude is often -40 C/F or lower.

Here are some quotes from some other news sources / twitter:

"After a couple of hours, passengers were allowed off the plane Sunday morning to stretch their legs in a small terminal at the airport."

"there was an issue with getting one of the emergency exit doors securely closed. After several hours of trying to fix the door, at about 12 a.m. ET, passengers were told it was frozen shut."

"Some passengers are being taken to customs area to stretch their legs. Only 20 at a time. "

"“All that time, one aircraft door was open and it was minus 28F (-20C) outside,” said Mr Liew.

“The aircraft was adequately warm for those of us sitting away from the open door. Some unfortunate flight attendant was posted at the door for safety and security, I suppose.”"
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In any event, the decision to permit passengers to disembark is not made by UA or YYR, but by CBSA.
PurdueFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:17 pm

The CBC has just posted a video summary of the incident:

Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+

I suspect the rubber in the seals they use for Arctic planes is a bit different than the rubber used on mainland planes. Cold weather tends to make rubber go hard and brittle - it’s the reason why in many parts of Canada winter tyres are the law. Winterized rubber actually goes softer the colder the weather gets! So yeah, in theory the seals should work but in practice there is no such guarantee especially if the seals have been exposed to -30 weather for quite some time.

Another thing to keep into account is the temperature differential. The inside air in the cabin is presumably 20 degrees outside air is -30 meaning you’ve got a temperature differential of 50 degrees Celsius.
Nope. Same configuration for anywhere on the globe. Aircraft are designed and certified for all weather conditions that they could be exposed to. There isn’t a “hot” and “cold” version.

Yes, some parts are more likely to fail at temperature extremes. But those are failed parts.
Palal, KRSW, goodeats21 and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
In any event, the decision to permit passengers to disembark is not made by UA or YYR, but by CBSA.
Originally Posted by jgsx

In which case the CBSA should revise their policy for these incidents so that after a reasonable length of tarmac delay (i.e. 3 hours) that passengers be transported to a heated transit-only area of the airport. In any event, what I'm hearing is that they will be heading back to Newark. So it's up in the air what will happen to them next. Will they be put in a hotel? Will they have to clear customs? I'm guessing the pilots of the original flight would have timed out on the ground in Goose Bay which likely means they would need to have backup crew at the ready for this "rescue flight".

Nope. Same configuration for anywhere on the globe. Aircraft are designed and certified for all weather conditions that they could be exposed to. There isn’t a “hot” and “cold” version.
Fare enough!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
If I were in the situation, it would be a tiny bit better if the CBSA stamped my passport but they won't.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I was on the flight and we are back in EWR. I think my biggest issue was the medical emergency started an hour into the flight and we diverted 3 hrs later.
I was in 8D near the open door and it was not that cold in the plane. I slept for about 6 hrs with the Polaris blanket and was fine. The crew was great . I think the issues with the flight are the SOC in Chicago
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
If the person had seizures not long after take off why continue the flight, and be stuck 4 or more hours later. That aside. Since the plane turned around off the coast of Greenland why not St Johns rather than the goose. AC has Mtce there who might have been able to fix the door. There is lots of hotel space, and CBSA is staffed , even on a weekend.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I suspect the rubber in the seals they use for Arctic planes is a bit different than the rubber used on mainland planes.
They're not.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
The real question is will the PQM credit as 2 EWR-HKG flights, 1 EWR-HKG & 1 EWR-YYR-EWR, or just one EWR-HKG?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Also in case someone says "well what resources would a remote community like Goose Bay have to help stranded passengers?" May I remind you that the airport is dual purpose: a civilian airport and military base. I have no doubts that the Canadian Army knows how to keep their soldiers fed and ready for battle. A 777 load of passengers shouldnt be too much of a challenge for them.
-James

It is dual purpose in name only. Due to long standing budget cuts, the military presence has been downsized repeatedly. It is basically a NORAD forward operating base if needed and used for training in the summer. It has some Griffon helicopters. for search and rescue. CFB Bagotville QC is the primary military response resource. The current government term for the base is that it is in "transition", i.e. the feds have been trying to close the base for years and have starved it for resources.

Originally Posted by Often1
And by weather and staffing conditions. It's a town that basically goes to bed after sunset in the winter. The airport is on reduced staff on the weekends due to minimal traffic. CBSA personnel have been transferred from a lot of out stations to key border crossings in the south, even in the winter, as there are still illegal migrants crossing over from the USA. Here's an article from last February explaining;
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle34105944/
Nothing has changed in the past year. CBSA is unionized and the new collective bargaining position is to emphasize work life balance. The issue of overtime work is a major issue. As per the PSAC union website; Work-life balance: Improvements to various leave provisions.Fixes to on-going scheduling and overtime problems. Office Bumbleton isn't going to willingly give up watching Game of Thrones to rush in to process some "folks from away".

Perhaps if United had given advance warning of an extended stay something could have been arranged. However, I believe they were not expecting to stay so that everyone was caught by surprise. It's hard to staff up with no notice.

And all this was going on while the northeast is subject to a nasty winter storm which stopped people from getting to work. I wouldn't be surprised if United control was short staffed.
tuolumne, D582 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2019 at 9:33 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by 100% Green
The real question is will the PQM credit as 2 EWR-HKG flights, 1 EWR-HKG & 1 EWR-YYR-EWR, or just one EWR-HKG?
It’ll probably credit as EWR-EWR (0 PQM) since it was a “direct” flight with a stop.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by yul36
If the person had seizures not long after take off why continue the flight, and be stuck 4 or more hours later. That aside. Since the plane turned around off the coast of Greenland why not St Johns rather than the goose. AC has Mtce there who might have been able to fix the door. There is lots of hotel space, and CBSA is staffed , even on a weekend.
Also St. John's, Newfoundland (YYT) has much better medical facilities and medical staff.
MSPeconomist and windscar like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by IAHMCI
I was on the flight and we are back in EWR. I think my biggest issue was the medical emergency started an hour into the flight and we diverted 3 hrs later.
I was in 8D near the open door and it was not that cold in the plane. I slept for about 6 hrs with the Polaris blanket and was fine. The crew was great . I think the issues with the flight are the SOC in Chicago
Great to know you were safe.

I got some sources saying UA refused to put the passengers to other carriers. Is that true?
Jan 19 Medical Emergency + MX
Jan 20 ferried back to EWR
What excuse was UA using for not accommodating passengers to other carriers?
Full 48 hours delay are acceptable?

smh.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
I was in 8D near the open door and it was not that cold in the plane.

So the door remained OPEN the whole time? Wow.
(If the door is open, does that mean the FAs don't get paid? )

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
I got some sources saying UA refused to put the passengers to other carriers. Is that true?
Other carriers? You mean after getting back to EWR I hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.