Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The passengers on this same flight for the previous days spent even longer stuck on the plane - over 15 hours on each day!!

(OK, so they made it to their destination in that time, but still...)

Originally Posted by prestonh
so when they are cruising at FL 35 and the air temp is -30-40C the latches are OK?
Frozen latches at 35,000 feet would seem to be more of a positive than a negative to me...
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Terrible situation all around.
At least it was 3-3-3 in Y and not 3-4-3.
cardinal98 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:13 pm

It seems the amount of time they were on the plane was actually comparable to the scheduled length of the original flight, which was 16 hours.

Was the plane not catered for EWR-HKG? Did the ovens not work on the ground? I don't understand why they were short on food. Except for the few rows around the door and the boring scenery out the window, I'm having trouble understanding how this would have been different than a routine flight to HKG.

Also, regarding the temperature possibly causing the door to malfunction, the article says: "The airline believes cold weather caused a door on the plane to malfunction, preventing takeoff." So that's some evidence right there.
coolbeans202, muji, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
The passengers on this same flight for the previous days spent even longer stuck on the plane - over 15 hours on each day!!
Ya but was it at -30? -30 even for a Northern city like Goose Bay is pretty cold!

As for UA you can’t blame them for diverting. What are they supposed to do carry on and hope the pax survives? As much as we find it an inconvenience in the rare instance of an inflight medical emergency if it were us we would rather be on the ground. And in the case of an acute medical incident like a heart attack you couldn't predict it happening before you board it just comes out of the blue!

I await to learn more about the incident but if what we're heading is the whole story than colour me disappointed as a Canadian. It's the Canadian way to be hospitable to all especially in emergencies. We did so during operation yellow ribbon we should do so today!

The only fault I have with UA is they should have had backup aircraft (perhaps a couple 737s) in the ready to rescue them!

-James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
I'm having trouble understanding how this would have been different than a routine flight to HKG.
Less forward movement, and lower altitude?

Just kidding; you are correct. Assuming the IFE worked (it doesn't always on 3010), and beverages and food was flowing, and the cabin was heated, and the toilets worked, it is more of an inconvenience than an unbearable ordeal.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Widebody diversions are not that uncommon in YYR. Last spring an AC dreamliner diverted to Goose Bay as well--quite a sight at the small airport.
(Everyone had hotel rooms but that flight originated in Canada.)

One big problem is that bags could not be offloaded. Goose bay had no way of handling the aluminum cargo containers on a dreamliner widebody (nobody certified there to handle them, and possibly no ground handling equipment) (AC flew a bunch of mechanics and a full ground handling staff in on our flight from Halifax.)

After such a long delay I can't imagine being told my checked bags did not get moved to the rescue plane...

Last edited by expert7700; Jan 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Also in case someone says "well what resources would a remote community like Goose Bay have to help stranded passengers?" May I remind you that the airport is dual purpose: a civilian airport and military base. I have no doubts that the Canadian Army knows how to keep their soldiers fed and ready for battle. A 777 load of passengers shouldnt be too much of a challenge for them.

-James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:47 pm

Hey at least it was Canada and not Russia! Recently on DL128 from PEK to SEA where there was an engine failure over Kamchatka the pilot diverted to Shemya AK flying a extra 2 hours on 1 engine because the SOP is that you absolutely do not divert to Russia given the state of relations and poor infrastructure/IRROPS unless you have something drastic like engine failure and even then like DL128 if you are close to AK/China/Japan/South Korea you go there.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Some into on Goose Bay YYR Airport:

Goose Bay YYR Diversions - Airliners.net
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Also, regarding the temperature possibly causing the door to malfunction, the article says: "The airline believes cold weather caused a door on the plane to malfunction, preventing takeoff." So that's some evidence right there.
I'm no expert on cold weather ops, but I do know that passenger jets continue to serve Fairbanks when the temperature drops below -30 (which it does most winters).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm no expert on cold weather ops, but I do know that passenger jets continue to serve Fairbanks when the temperature drops below -30 (which it does most winters).
The 777 door is obviously capable of working in cold temperatures, but that doesn't mean that cold weather can't sometimes cause problems with the door (including, according to United, this problem).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
What compensation will the passengers get? None? A little?

Even though it is same number of hours to HKG, sitting on a plane on the ground is more anxiety provoking.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The 777 door is obviously capable of working in cold temperatures, but that doesn't mean that cold weather can't sometimes cause problems with the door (including, according to United, this problem).
I suspect the rubber in the seals they use for Arctic planes is a bit different than the rubber used on mainland planes. Cold weather tends to make rubber go hard and brittle - it’s the reason why in many parts of Canada winter tyres are the law. Winterized rubber actually goes softer the colder the weather gets! So yeah, in theory the seals should work but in practice there is no such guarantee especially if the seals have been exposed to -30 weather for quite some time.

Another thing to keep into account is the temperature differential. The inside air in the cabin is presumably 20 degrees outside air is -30 meaning you’ve got a temperature differential of 50 degrees Celsius.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
What compensation will the passengers get? None? A little?

Even though it is same number of hours to HKG, sitting on a plane on the ground is more anxiety provoking.
My guess is $200 eMCO and possibly a one time pass to the UC for use in EWR. Hopefully there was a FTer on the flight who will post this to the compensation thread. The big inconvenience is arriving there at least a day after original scheduled arrival and that’s assuming when they land in EWR they don’t have to clear immigration re-check bags and await a new flight to get them to HKG.

-James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
if the notam says the airport has limited services then it probably is not a suitable diversion point. ETOPS requires adequate passenger recovery plan for each individual diversion station in the areas where the operator is not normally an operator.#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
Here are the NOTAMS for Goose Bay, no where does it say limited services...

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWe...trievalByICAOs
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.