Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade strategy for a flight 9 months away

Upgrade strategy for a flight 9 months away

Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:54 am

An advantage for buying your ticket early is you'll have more time to monitor the ToD upgrade offers and it will reduce your anxiety over fares increases.

-James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by jsloan
What you can do is to use the inventory information that UA makes available; look at expert mode (just for SFO-NRT, LAX-NRT, etc., not for PHX-NRT) and check the inventory buckets. PZ > 0 is needed to upgrade. However, if PZ=0, you want the flight with the inventory that's "closest." The bucket order is J JN C D Z ZN P PN PZ IN I. If you can't find PZ > 0, and you're intent upon waitlisting, look for PN > 0. If no PN > 0, look for P > 0, etc. The further away from PZ you get, the fewer discount tickets UA is selling. Having discount tickets available for sale is a positive indicator that upgrade space may come. (The converse is not necessarily true for a flight this far in the future; UA has started treating J inventory the same way it treats Y inventory, holding prices high far in advance to see if they get any takers).
This is really good advice, thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What you can do is to use the inventory information that UA makes available; look at expert mode (just for SFO-NRT, LAX-NRT, etc., not for PHX-NRT) and check the inventory buckets. PZ > 0 is needed to upgrade. However, if PZ=0, you want the flight with the inventory that's "closest." The bucket order is J JN C D Z ZN P PN PZ IN I. If you can't find PZ > 0, and you're intent upon waitlisting, look for PN > 0. If no PN > 0, look for P > 0, etc. The further away from PZ you get, the fewer discount tickets UA is selling. Having discount tickets available for sale is a positive indicator that upgrade space may come. (The converse is not necessarily true for a flight this far in the future; UA has started treating J inventory the same way it treats Y inventory, holding prices high far in advance to see if they get any takers).
This is all accurate, but the figures are meaningless for purposes of estimating upgrade odds more than 10 weeks out or so. Even then, it's an inexact science, and it's getting harder due to the way that UA is now managing inventory and the heavy demand for corporate business class travel (especially ex-SFO), which tends to purchase late (within the last 2 weeks).

This is why the best approach (if possible) is to hold off on buying until there is PZ available to confirm at booking. As I mentioned previously, the other, relatively new strategy, is to buy PE to get ahead of all those waitlisting on economy fares.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
As I mentioned previously, the other, relatively new strategy, is to buy PE to get ahead of all those waitlisting on economy fares.
Also a much better situation if the upgrade doesn't clear
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by findark
Especially considering you'll net 150% PQM on a EconomyPlus itinerary versus 100% on most Y itineraries.

-James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Especially on a 77W or Polarized 772.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by azfanboy
Thanks for all the replies.

i should have mentioned that I really want to be routed via SFO, both for the Polaris lounge and the 300ER Polaris seats. Dates are also pretty inflexible.

i have been monitoring the flight for the past 2 months and only the Q bucket has been available so far for $1826. It just dropped today in the $1400 range.

given all this new info should I just buy it today and pray for the best, or just keep monitoring this flight for another 3 months or so before I pull the trigger?
There is a lot of good advice in the thread already. But I'm gonna say something that hasn't been said yet, $1826 for an advance purchase from the US to Japan is absurdly high in economy. Don't limit yourself to PHX as your departure point, how much does it cost you to get to LAX or SFO on your own? $100? $150? LAX-NRT r/t on SQ in Premium Economy goes for under $1000 quite often and under $2000 in full paid business sometimes. My point is, don't get so focused on only your home airport as your departure point, sometimes it makes a lot of sense to buy separate tickets. Myself, being based in Tokyo, have become a pro at this since for many destinations, TYO (NRT/HND) is by far the most expensive departure point in East Asia. In your case LAX is usually the cheapest departure point to Asia since it's so competitive and has a lack of any major hub like SFO, but UA has a tendency to only offer G, L, T, and maybe S fares a good price from there oftentimes and seriously jack up the prices for W and higher, that's where you have to become more adept and start looking at less obvious cities. I'd be checking Google flights for where you can get to from PHX for around $100 and then checking W fares to NRT from all of those airports as well. My original hometown is much further east of AZ, but I can usually get W fares for under $1000 r/t by doing some research and playing around with the departure airport and arranging separate tickets (usually open-jaw).

NRT is an extremely easy airport to clear GPUs to, with so much time before departure there's no need to buy right now. Wait until you can clear something on the spot rather than waitlisting. Right now everyone buying C wants SFO-NRT from the west coast because of the guaranteed Polaris seat, but even that is usually pretty easy to find a seat or two in PZ. But a PZ seat on a 787 from DEN or whatever plane they are flying that day from LAX is a lot better than an E+ seat on the 77W that didn't clear from SFO.

Last edited by dvs7310; Jan 20, 2019 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Don't limit yourself to PHX as your departure point, how much does it cost you to get to LAX or SFO on your own?
I was going to come back and mention this, but you beat me to it

LAX has cheap fares to NRT. Right now I'm seeing a $1200 W and a $1500 R (PE).

SFO is not a solution, however; the fares SFO-NRT are outrageous due to near monopoly by UA/NH.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mduell
1) Yes. In theory, yes, although the implementation is pretty lousy and often fails.
2) No. If you're going to buy up, buy up to discount business.
3) Buying early is dumb money; the smart money buys when/where PZ is available.
This. OP - you are out of luck if you book in advance and a business delegation gets on your flight. Worth waiting for PZ.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I was going to come back and mention this, but you beat me to it

LAX has cheap fares to NRT. Right now I'm seeing a $1200 W and a $1500 R (PE).

SFO is not a solution, however; the fares SFO-NRT are outrageous due to near monopoly by UA/NH.
Why limit yourself there? Try ORD and EWR while you’re at it! I’ve seen good ToD deals out of EWR before on that route which leads me to believe it may be more amenable to upgrade. Also can’t GPUs be applied to NH flights these days? How would the strategy work there?

-James
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
This is not true. The best time to buy a flight changes, but is generally somewhere between 100 days and 3 weeks before departure. UA (and other airlines) often don't open discount inventory until they see how sales trends look.

There's no hard and fast rule for the best time to buy airfare; if there were, the airlines would adjust their sales practices to eliminate it.

This tells you little, for a number of reasons; seasonality and day of week are highly impactful on your upgrade chances -- and there's no way to distinguish between a flight that's full of upgraders and a flight that's full of paid passengers. They both just look full.

Not in this case. W is the lowest fare class published in the PHX-TYO market -- and even that requires a two-week stay that the OP likely doesn't have, since the original discussion was about Q and V fares. Fares in and out of Tokyo are much higher than much of the rest of Asia.
Thanks for the really great advice!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Does This Strategy Make Sense for My Next Intercontinental Trip?

I will admit with some embarrassment that I had never thought to do it this way. So I took a look at some itineraries on an upcoming multi-leg itinernational trip that I'm planning for March to see if this strategy yields any useful information for me (I have a few itinerary options to choose from). If I look end-to-end, I'm seeing fares that book into Q and H. But if I look just at the various TATL legs, I'm seeing fares that book into L, S and T. This raises a couple of questions:

• Given the disparity in fare classes, is looking at upgrade availability in this manner really reflecting any useful information about my ability to upgrade via GPU?
  • A related question: when I book end-to-end into an H fare (I'm guessing that the US leg prior to the TATL leg is what's raising the fare) my upgrade request will be treated as though I booked the TATL into an H fare, yes? I've never really thought about this, as I always assumed that the long-haul legs drive the fare one sees.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
  • Given the disparity in fare classes, is looking at upgrade availability in this manner really reflecting any useful information about my ability to upgrade via GPU?
  • A related question: when I book end-to-end into an H fare (I'm guessing that the US leg prior to the TATL leg is what's raising the fare) my upgrade request will be treated as though I booked the TATL into an H fare, yes? I've never really thought about this, as I always assumed that the long-haul legs drive the fare one sees.
1 - You learn little from the economy loads. You can still learn something from the premium cabin loads on the TATL flight, because upgrades clear segment-by-segment, and in the odd case that they're willing to sell a P fare on a connecting itinerary but not on a nonstop, they'll still have to add P inventory on the nonstop before they'll open PZ.
2 - Yes.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.