Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Charged twice for same flight? Is this common?

Old Jan 19, 19, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I bought a flight on the 15th and that payment was posted. However thereís a duplicate charge thatís showing as processing. I contacted United via twitter and they say it should drop off in two days.

Meantime Iím showing $700 as being processed and canít use the money (Iím using my debit card). I did use Apple Pay and this is the first time itís happened to me. As a result Iím not planning on using Apple Pay on the United app ever again.

Is this a is a common occurrence​​​​​. I normally use a credit card and book on the website. Either way itís an inconvenience
Old Jan 19, 19, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Did it error out the first time you tried to purchase? That will cause two authorizations.

Using a debit card for an airline ticket purchase is typically not a great idea, especially given the proliferation of credit cards that provide bonus points earning and/or travel insurance benefits.
Often1 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Did it error out the first time you tried to purchase? That will cause two authorizations.

Using a debit card for an airline ticket purchase is typically not a great idea, especially given the proliferation of credit cards that provide bonus points earning and/or travel insurance benefits.
Nope.

I only used the debit card since itís linked to my Apple Pay. The fare was a good price and there were few seats remaining and thatís why I used Apple Pay. Didnít have my sapphire card on me.
Old Jan 19, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DeadliftsnDonuts View Post
Nope.
I only used the debit card since itís linked to my Apple Pay. The fare was a good price and there were few seats remaining and thatís why I used Apple Pay. Didnít have my sapphire card on me.
Huh. Sounds like a UA error. I've gotten multiple authorizations for a single ticket before, the one that's pending should drop off eventually.

You know you can use your Sapphire for Apple Pay, right?
Old Jan 19, 19, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Huh. Sounds like a UA error. I've gotten multiple authorizations for a single ticket before, the one that's pending should drop off eventually.

You know you can use your Sapphire for Apple Pay, right?
Yeah, I set it up yesterday haha
Old Jan 19, 19, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Using a debit card for an airline ticket purchase is typically not a great idea
Using a debit card (in credit card mode) for any purpose isn't a good idea, for exactly this reason: you set yourself up for merchant mistakes or a compromised card causing you grief, which include possible inability to withdraw cash when you need it, or even to have checks bounce.
Kannai, nexusCFX and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Using a debit card (in credit card mode) for any purpose isn't a good idea, for exactly this reason: you set yourself up for merchant mistakes or a compromised card causing you grief, which include possible inability to withdraw cash when you need it, or even to have checks bounce.
The other thing is there's no fraud protection. If your account is compromised, the bank has no obligation to make good the loss.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 11:35 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL GM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
I was charged twice recently and called in. The agent I spoke to said she coudn't touch the payments associated with the reservation but that they would drop off in a few days. And they did.
Old Jan 19, 19, 12:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
To the core question, are multiple credit authorizations common, the answer is they are not uncommon. And as others have mentioned, they excess authorizations will eventually delete and you have not been double charged.

It is a consequence of using debit cards that authorizations limit your purchasing ability -- and this will happen with other vendors. Buying auto fuel, renting a car, checking into a hotel, .... will all have nasty surprizes with a debt card.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Some of us with poor credit ratings only have debit cards as an option to purchase something.
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Very common, and yet another reason not to use debit cards.
Often1 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post
Some of us with poor credit ratings only have debit cards as an option to purchase something.
you could get a secured credit card
FlyerTalker70 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While UA is not insolvent and not likely to cease operations in the next few days, there have been a number of air carrier bankruptcies in the past 2-3 years and there may yet be some more in the near future.

For US-based travelers, with a CC, you have absolute statutory protection. On a debit card, you are likely an unsecured creditor which means that you may possibly see a few pennies on the dollar in a couple of years. Do not ever use anything other than a CC to pay for any service to be rendered in the future, e.g. air tickets, prepaid hotels, cruises, tours and the like.

This is entirely separate from the "hold" problem which can easily tie up a small fortune.
pamdrew and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post
... which would make a debit card problem all the worse if it were to happen: bounced checks, no cash, no ability to buy essentials such as food, and no credit card to fall back on.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-1K, EXEC-PLAT
looks like there was an pre- authorization send to your credit card company twice , this happens sometimes when you buy something via UAL.COM I had this a couple of times w UA before and the first pre-charge was released within 24-48hrs ....so check your CC again in a day or so ...
Was told from from an UA agent this happens sometime when UA.com (web) tries to issue a ticket while you still in your Reservation ....

Search this Thread